PDA

View Full Version : 56 Project

CHKYWUKY
05-16-2013, 12:12 AM
Just wanted to say hello to you all and I'm hoping to get some good advice and help building my new to me 56 short bed project.It's got an adj. torsion front suspension with disks out of a Chrysler and I'm buiding a 4 link rear with a 9" with disks.I bought the truck with the front sus. installed and the rear sus. started but not installed.I put the 496 bbc that came with the purchase and bought a th400 short shaft in last week to check clearances before I remove the cab and finish the chassis work.The truck came with all new sheet metal and glass and a lot of other new parts for assembly.It also has most all the orig. sheet metal in good cond.I'll post some pics so you guys can see what needs to be done.I used to be into hotrods years ago and always wanted to get back into it and now I've got the chance to do it again. Thanks in Advance, Chuck:cool:

smooth 56
05-16-2013, 05:15 AM
Welcome to the site. Good looking project you have,look forward to talking with you.

Run-em
05-16-2013, 05:18 AM
Welcome & HOWDY from TEXAS! Good lookin project already. Should run like a scalded dog. Have lots of fun with her.

carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)
05-16-2013, 06:26 AM
:) hi chuck and welcome. good to have you here. nice project, have fun with it.

boxer
05-16-2013, 07:01 AM
Looks like a great project. Welcome to the forum. Lots of great help & information

chevynut
05-16-2013, 08:26 AM
Welcome to the site...nice-looking truck, and interesting front suspension choice. ;)

Maddog
05-16-2013, 10:07 AM
Welcome to the site...nice-looking truck, and interesting front suspension choice. ;)

Probably a Volare front clip, very common in trucks about 20 years ago

567chevys
05-16-2013, 10:44 AM
Hi Chuck ,

Glad you decided to jump on board , Looks as you have a nice project your working on . Keep us up todate on your project

Thanks Sid

BAM55
05-16-2013, 11:41 AM
Hello,

Welcome to the site and nice truck.

BAM55
05-16-2013, 11:50 AM
Probably a Volare front clip, very common in trucks about 20 years ago

Yeah thats correct Maddog. The volare, 5th avenue, diplomat etc all had the same k-member and they were commonly used back in the day especially among the classic ford truck guys. The nice thing about them is you do not have to cut your frame off at the firewall like when you do the carmaro/firebird clip. You only notch the bottom of the frame and weld the k-member in. They do ride nice and it worked great for years. I use to install them on my brothers trucks. The only draw back is that big steering box makes you offset your engine to the passenger side and could affect header choice.

Maddog
05-16-2013, 01:23 PM
Hey Bam, yea I didn't bother to mention that they were most popular in the early Ford trucks as the bolt pattern is 5 on 4.5". I thought that engine mount on the drivers side (see pic) look rather strange. Normally don't see the Volare in a Chevy but I'm sure some did. The Mustang II bolt on clips pretty much replaced that Volare set up, maybe they're running out at the bone yards.

BAM55
05-16-2013, 03:18 PM
Yeah the aftermarket kits pretty much replaced a lot of what we use to do. But camaro/firebird clips still work great and I know a lot of Ford guys who prefer the volare over the aftermarket stuff. As far as volare clips on Chevys not as common but but I know people who have them. Actually a guy asked me if I would do a Volare clip for him about 8 years ago on Chevy. I did it and the guy loves and drives that truck everywhere. Here is a pic of the clip installed.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7296/8744680245_9137aa45d9.jpg

CHKYWUKY
05-16-2013, 07:46 PM
Yeah thats correct Maddog. The volare, 5th avenue, diplomat etc all had the same k-member and they were commonly used back in the day especially among the classic ford truck guys. The nice thing about them is you do not have to cut your frame off at the firewall like when you do the carmaro/firebird clip. You only notch the bottom of the frame and weld the k-member in. They do ride nice and its works great for years. I use to install them on my brothers trucks. The only draw back is that big steering box makes you offset you engine to the passenger side and could affect header choice. Right on the money bam and Maddog its a 5th ave clip.When I bought the truck the motor was on a stand so I wanted to see how it fits and it needed some massaging because of that steering box and the tie rods underneath it's close but I think its good.The po made the fenderwell headers but I'm not really liking them as far as looks and looking like the drivers side might contact the tire with left turn and sus, comp.Was looking at speedway tri 5 car fender well headers but not sure of fitment on the truck.Maybe one of you guys have tried them on a truck.This weekend were gonna put the box on to get the axle center line figured out so I can get the rear sus.started. Been daydreaming about that for a couple weeks trying to come up with a plan and looking at other 4 link setups and I think I got it.Well thanks a lot to all you motor heads and looking forward to getting to know ya.

BAM55
05-17-2013, 09:40 AM
Hey buddy why don't you join us in the Truck section and start a build thread so that we can stay up to date with each others projects? I have not done anything to my truck in a while but I will hopefully have some time soon.

567chevys
05-17-2013, 09:56 AM
Hey Bam

do you want me to move this stuff to the truck section ?

Sid

BAM55
05-17-2013, 09:59 AM
Naw Sid. Only if the original poster wants that and will update us on his progress. I just wanted to invite him to join the truck section so that we can keep up with each others projects.

It would nice to have you there CHKYWUKY