PDA

View Full Version : 56 chevy with hydraulic assist steering

allprobuilder
03-06-2012, 09:39 PM
I have a 56 chevy townsman with a front clip from another vehicle that has hydraulic assist steering. The original steering box hits the headers and I understand I can acquire the new 500 box does anyone know if this will marry to the hydraulic assist steering booster?

chevynut
03-23-2012, 08:14 AM
What do you mean by "booster"? Are you talking about the PS pump?

Run-em
03-29-2012, 01:06 AM
Think the 500 box is a little bigger than the 605 box--not sure though. The 500 box is bigger than the 56 Chevy stocker. Your unknown is the clip/box you are using....so don't know how to compare your clip's box with the 500 box. Your lines to the box you are using from the power steering pump can usually be used or modified to adapt. Sometimes you will need a restrictor to lessen pressure to another box, but that too, is do-able. The 500 box has to be moved into the stock frame a little--usually a hammer will do it. Could you solve your problem with this method --just a little "massage" to your clip's frame rail?

Another way out of clearance issues is to make a one off header for your application. If your present powder box is otherwise satisfactory (power steer fine, box lines up with column,etc.), this might be a better way to go.

hollywood
03-29-2012, 05:33 AM
We had the CPP 500 gearbox installed on our 56 Bel Air. CLICK HERE to view photos (http://www.freedomcruisin.com/Hollywood_1956_Chevy_Bel_Air_Project_Page.html)