PDA

View Full Version : INSULATION - HEAT & SOUND

NickP
05-29-2013, 09:03 AM
I know, to some degree, this topic has been covered in great depth, or so it would seem it has - yet I find no definitive answers.

So, I have no idea how to do a poll but would like to know the following:

Brand Used: i.e. Dynamat, CoolIt, Lowes or other.

Typical Temperature Summer:

Typical Temperature Winter:

Location car is kept: i.e. Shop, Garage, Trailer (no shame in that BTY) or outside.

Failures noted: i.e. Sagging material or complete failure of adhesive, Odor, No temperature drop, Noise or other failures ( please be specific). Time of year failure occurred.

Is car complete:

Satisfaction:

Others here of a more inquisitive nature certainly will have other items to list and I invite that.
Thanks in advance,
Nick

chevynut
05-29-2013, 09:24 PM
I bought Raamat on the recommendation from another guy on CT some time ago. It was WAY cheaper than Dynamat which I still think is absurdly expensive. I still haven't installed it, but he said it made a huge difference in road noise and stereo quality. It's also very sticky and is a butyl product, not asphalt so there is no odor that I can tell.

As for insulation, my upholstery guy uses some type of insulation with a foil face that he says is very sticky and we plan to use it on my firewall and on the roof of my car. He will put jute on the floor under the carpet too, over the Raamat. I plan to put some Raammat on the inside of the door and quarters, on the outer panels. It's already inside my tailgate on the outer skin. I will put some on the inner skin before I cover it.

Personally I wouldn't use any home insulation like the foil faced bubble pack stuff that some guys use. Effective insulation has many air pockets, not just one bubble. And it probably does little or nothing to address noise.