PDA

View Full Version : Black oxide plating

stroker
06-07-2013, 04:43 PM
Rather than sending parts out to be plated, thought I'd try it at home with a black oxide kit I read about. Bought a $60.00 kit from Caswell electroplating. This is a room temperature plating. Kit comes with enough solution to make a gallon. My first attempt turned out very nice. I got a dark color in about two minutes. After sealing and letting dry, the finish had a nice look and doesn't rub off. I bought both sealers as one is for parts to be left as black, and the other allows you to paint over. Here is the kit as purchased, and the resulting finish. The one picture shows the media blasted vs the plated.

chevynut
06-07-2013, 04:57 PM
Have you ever used their electroless nickel or zinc plating baths? I've been wanting to try them, but a plater told me it was only $60 for a bucket of parts I want to plate with zinc. Problem is, I'll probably forget one or two and I have to ship the parts to him. :(

stroker
06-08-2013, 08:49 AM
This is the first plating bath I have tried. Before I retired one of the perks was getting my parts included in the company's send outs, so I got my plating done for free. No more, so may have to try other stuff.