PDA

View Full Version : Forward 4-link mount

CHKYWUKY
06-09-2013, 05:12 PM
Finished welding up the forward bar mounts,still have a little grinding to do but the hiems fit nicely.I'm still trying to figure out witch way to mount them to the frame and the 2x4 crossmember I'm making.

BAM55
06-09-2013, 11:11 PM
Looking good man and I love the fact that you are posting pics. Thanks

NickP
06-10-2013, 08:13 AM
Finished welding up the forward bar mounts,still have a little grinding to do but the hiems fit nicely.I'm still trying to figure out witch way to mount them to the frame and the 2x4 crossmember I'm making.

Just a guess, but the curved area is the back, right? The open area is where the Heim Joints fit, Right? Uncertain of if this is a truck or car, but either would be pretty much the same relative to the install so how about a 4" x 1" notch and weld direct to the cross member.

CHKYWUKY
06-10-2013, 06:28 PM
The open area faces the back of the truck in front of the rear axle.When I got this project the rear axle was not installed so I need to locate it in the chassis still and figure out the wheel base and ride height.In order to get the 114" wheel base I need to measure from the front axle or put the box on and eye ball it since the front clip has been installed by PO it may be off a little [who knows] so I'm thinking to put the box on and go from there.As far as welding direct to the cross, that may work out great but I might have to lower the mount depending on ride height,we will see as I start measuring and mocking things up' i'd like to have the rims and tire size I'm gonna use but I'm still looking into that[28"29"30"] not sure.sooooo as you can see I'm a long ways away but making progress slowly.It's I think more difficult to start off were someone else left off so I am gratefull for any help and opinions.I'll post a pic of the rear housing and cross with mounts attached with clamps maybe that will show what needs to be done a little better.Now mind you the rear housing mounts needs more work and I'll clean that up. Thanks Alot

BAM55
06-10-2013, 07:27 PM
Question. How low is your ride height and how low will those brackets be from the ground.

BAM55
06-10-2013, 07:32 PM
By the way I say put the box on and eyeball it. Why? because a lot of time guys move the front axle line forward to center the wheels a little more in the front fenders. The stock front center is not exactly centered you really don't notice it much unless the truck is lowered. As in the case of mine I moved my axle center line forward about 3/4 of an inch. The good thing about the 4 link is you do have a little adjustment but I am a member of the mock is everything club. I would mock it up before I weld everything in. That is must my opinion.

CHKYWUKY
06-10-2013, 09:39 PM
By the way I say put the box on and eyeball it. Why? because a lot of time guys move the front axle line forward to center the wheels a little more in the front fenders. The stock front center is not exactly centered you really don't notice it much unless the truck is lowered. As in the case of mine I moved my axle center line forward about 3/4 of an inch. The good thing about the 4 link is you do have a little adjustment but I am a member of the mock is everything club. I would mock it up before I weld everything in. That is must my opinion.
YEP I think i'm gonna put the box on after removing the wood and then roll the axle under and make some stand offs to tack it [axle] in place were my ride height should be,then I'll roll it out in driveway and see how it looks and make and measure the axles,both frnt and rear for any adj.for alignment and then retack in place if any.As far as how low off the ground the forward mounts are,I'm not sure yet. But I think they will be up high enough I hope?SOooooo I'm pulling wood out tomorrow.I'll keep you all posted.Thanks Y'all

CHKYWUKY
06-16-2013, 10:38 PM
Well didn,t pull the wood off the bed and I,m glad because when we put the box on the diff. hits the bed at full susp. comp.We did get to mark the axle center line by eye ball'n it.It turned out to be smack dab in the middle of the notch.So PO did a good job on locating the notch.Had to make sure of tire location in fender. I included a pic so you guys can see tire in fender.

BAM55
06-26-2013, 09:51 AM
Looks good. Are you going to raise the bed floor a couple of inches. I had to do that to have the low stance i wanted.

CHKYWUKY
06-26-2013, 01:50 PM
Thanks Bam I don't know if I'm going to raise the whole floor or just the center sectionwhere the diff comes up with a piece of bent sheet metal can you post up some pics of how you raised your floor

BAM55
01-06-2014, 11:28 AM
Thanks Bam I don't know if I'm going to raise the whole floor or just the center sectionwhere the diff comes up with a piece of bent sheet metal can you post up some pics of how you raised your floor

Man I'm so sorry I was just rereading your thread and only now did I see that you asked for pics of how I raised my floor. I hope its not too late for my response and in the future if think I may be of help feel free to pm me.

There are many ways to do this. Some build a cage with extensions the length they will raise the bed. I decide to do mine this way. I will raise my bed 2 inches. So I built 2 inch extension and welded them to the frame where the cross sill will go. I will be reusing the factor cross sill. Now for the bed side you will need to raise the bed floor angle strips the same amount as your extension. So if you raise the bed floor 2 inches you will also need to raise the bed floor angle strips 2 inches. The are spot welded to the bed sides. The con to doing this way is your will have a 2 inch gap when you open the tail gate. I will be using sheet metal to close that cab.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8232/8520204816_f8bbe45f61.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8089/8519090287_1e291d9a11.jpg
Just checking cross sill bolt alignment.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8385/8519090071_94c328e3e2.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8520204572_ecc6dfdfa8.jpg

By the way you can also bolt, there is no need to weld to the frame if you don't want to do that.

I have not gotten to the bedside yet but here is how you handle the gab at the tail gate. See the nicely done sheetmetal that fills the void when the tail gate is open.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/attachment.php?attachmentid=1067037&stc=1&d=1361888181

NickP
01-06-2014, 11:35 AM
Sure is a nice truck!

BAM55
01-06-2014, 11:51 AM
Sure is a nice truck!

If you are talking about the green and black truck I posted for the opened tailgate display. It is a really nice truck belongs to a guy on a truck forum I belong to. Its a wickedly nice ride.

JT56
01-06-2014, 03:08 PM
Green with envy! Nice truck

CHKYWUKY
01-06-2014, 08:31 PM
Thanks Bam,Its not too late.I'm glad you posted the pics.I will need them very soon.A pic is worth a 1000 words.

carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)
01-07-2014, 05:53 AM
thanks for sharing everyone.

BAM55
01-07-2014, 09:20 AM
Thanks Bam,Its not too late.I'm glad you posted the pics.I will need them very soon.A pic is worth a 1000 words.

Remember there are many ways to do things. That is just the way I chose to do it. There is also the cage way, here is an article for you that shows that method. Now that you are armed with two way you can choose your course of action.

http://www.classictrucks.com/tech/1308_how_to_raise_the_bed_floor/viewall.html

Troy
01-07-2014, 03:22 PM
Remember there are many ways to do things. That is just the way I chose to do it. There is also the cage way, here is an article for you that shows that method. Now that you are armed with two way you can choose your course of action.

http://www.classictrucks.com/tech/1308_how_to_raise_the_bed_floor/viewall.html

I knew that was you BAM, I'm on that site as well. Some of the project build threads there keep me busy for hours. Great site for trucks!!!

BAM55
01-07-2014, 05:00 PM
I knew that was you BAM, I'm on that site as well. Some of the project build threads there keep me busy for hours. Great site for trucks!!!

Yeah it is. Really cool people and great site for information on trucks.