PDA

View Full Version : Overheating possibility

Dshiff
06-10-2013, 05:12 PM
I have a 1956 Chevy 210 with a 350, 700r trans, vintage air. On days with the temp at mid 90's temp runs at around 211 with ac on cruising around town. I'm concerned when temp gets 100+ it will run too hot. It has a flex fan to pull air and an electric fan to push. Any ideas as to what type of radiator would be good to install to help run cooler?

chevynut
06-10-2013, 05:55 PM
Get rid of the pusher fan. They impede air more than they help. Also, I think some guys will recommend a better mechanical fan and a shroud if you don't have one. What radiator are you running? More air is your best bet.

chevynut
06-10-2013, 05:56 PM
Oh, and WELCOME to the site. You should post about yourself in the new member forum. :)

Rick_L
06-10-2013, 06:04 PM
Welcome to the site.

As Chevynut said, you probably need more airflow. Consider a 5 blade GM fan (the kind with the twist on the end of the blade). If you have room, a fan clutch is a good idea. And as suggested, if you don't have a shroud, get one. I don't think much of the pusher fans either.

If that's not enough, then you pretty much need to make a big leap. A crossflow aluminum radiator with dual 11" or 12" fans is that leap. A lot of us run something like that.

Dshiff
06-10-2013, 06:06 PM
Standard radiator in the v8 position, when power steering was installed had to go to a smaller flex fan about 1/4 inch shorter blades and had to modify shroud on left side. Would like to have a better raditor installed in 6 cyl. Position.

chevynut
06-10-2013, 06:32 PM
Why do you think you need a "better radiator"? If you want a new radiator, that's one thing. But if you don't want to spend the money for one, just improve your airflow situation. I think you can improve it a lot with a little work.

Run-em
06-10-2013, 08:22 PM
Welcome D & HOWDY from TEXAS!

On a past ride, I put a large trans oil cooler into the line going into the radiator. That way, the trans oil will actually pull heat from the radiator. It also makes sure the trans oil is warm enough for normal operation. Automatics don't like oil that is either too hot or cold.

kcroper
07-06-2016, 03:18 PM
I have a question. 57 chevy with cross flow in the 6 cyl position with electric pull fan. What can I do to improve the air flow? Car is OK an 55 and under. heats to 215 + at 65ph.

NickP
07-06-2016, 04:29 PM
Welcome to the site. Do you have a shroud on fan? Fan size? Pictures help too. As a suggestion, why don't you start a new thread with this topic?

Rick_L
07-06-2016, 04:37 PM
Usually when you have a problem where the temperature increases with speed it's not airflow, it's coolant flow. At 65 mph, you should have plenty of airflow across the radiator unless you've created some blockage in front of the radiator.

The first thing that comes to mind is a defective thermostat. Not stuck closed, but it doesn't open fully. I had a thermostat like that and had the exact same problem you describe. Temperature was fine as long as engine speed was low. To check, put your thermostat in a pan of water on the stove and bring it to a boil. If in doubt about what's "fully open" stick a new one or known good one in there too.