PDA

View Full Version : Brake lines

Geoff
06-11-2013, 07:19 AM
I've got a '55 convertible that I'm completely restoring. Who makes the best brake kit for the money, or should I roll my own lines?

Stainless or standard, what's the difference in work/price?

chevynut
06-11-2013, 07:56 AM
It depends on how modified your car is. If it's stock, you could go with a brake line kit. I think Inline Tube sells some. If it's modified much, I would build your own. To do that you need a flaring tool, tube cutter, and benders. For 3/16" line a high quality bender isn't that important. For 1/4" it's more important to prevent kinking. You cal go with AN or inverted flare fittings, depending on your preference. AN will require adapters in some places. I went all stainless with stainless AN fittings and 37 degree flares, but it all depends on what look you want. Stainless is forever.

NickP
06-11-2013, 08:00 AM
FWIW, http://inlinetube.com/Preformed%20Lines/Web%20Line%20Listings/CF-CAT-04.htm In Line Tube has standard steel or stainless (about 21% more in price) pre-bent lines for the trifives. They fit.

Geoff
06-11-2013, 08:19 AM
Thanks guys, I want safety and longevity as I intend to drive my family around in this car and let my wife drive it on her own.
The kit from inline tube seems like the way to go with this car because it's not modified much.