PDA

View Full Version : My Cameo

Toonman
06-17-2013, 06:36 PM
My Cameo has been put away for quite a while. I have been mostly working on my 56 wagon. last week I was in the Hospital for 4 days. While there, i had a lot of time to think. I realized I had no photos of the Cameo and Wagon together!!! So for fathers day, I got the Cameo out, Washed it, and got my photos.
Enjoy!!!
PS I bought this truck in 1982 when I was a Junior in High School, and still have it!!!!

carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)
06-18-2013, 11:29 AM
cool rides, thanks for sharing. :cool:

BAM55
06-18-2013, 12:06 PM
Very nice rides man. I would love to have a cameo.

chevynut
06-18-2013, 12:43 PM
Nice Truk!! :)

Toonman
06-19-2013, 08:30 PM
Thanks Guys!!

Toonman
06-24-2013, 04:59 PM
Heres a little History in pictures of my Cameo over the las 31 years
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me 3 years old in front of my dads 56 Chevy Stepside ( He always wanted a Cameo) and my Daughter, 3 years old with my 56 Cameo

First night home, Oct 19, 1982. Brought it home in 7 truckloads!!

Together and running with the 235 and 4 speed Hydramatic.

Trying on a set of Wide Tires

On the road My Senior year in High School

Toonman
06-24-2013, 05:05 PM
A few More

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nose painted Tourquoise, sanding the Cab, 1985

Painted and Motor swaped for a 350/ TH350, 1985

The Cameo with my 56 Chevy Panel truck, 1987

Put a Tunnel Ram on it for a while, but it was hard to drive on the street!!!!!1987

Done and in the Portland Roadster Show, took a 2nd place trophy in the Semi Custom Pickup class, 1987. Later that year, my wife and I drove it away from out Wedding.

Toonman
06-29-2013, 01:16 PM
A little History on my Cameo

After Selling my first truck, a Merc Flathead powered 50 Ford pickup I set out to find my dream truck. After a slight leaning towards buying a late 60's El Camino, I came back to wanting an old Chevy Truck. In October of '82, I fell into one. After driving my sister's friend home, I spotted a truck coming at me and thought it was a friend. As the truck drove by, I noticed it was a rare Cameo! I whipped my parents '62 Nova into a u turn and chased the Cameo to its home. I had no idea this U turn would change my life.

I talked with the '55's owner, who is now a great friend, for some time. Finally, I mentioned that he was looking for a 56, the man said "Really, I have one for sale, but it is a Cameo. Is that OK?" OK!? You Bet! I raced home and ran in the house to tell my Dad that I had found a Cameo for sale. This was something dear to his heart. My Dad, Pete, had found a Cameo box in a wrecking yard years before. (Imagine that!!) Pete wanted to put it on his '56, but my Mom wouldn't agree to it, stating that there is no more hauling space. Subsequently, he didn't get it. So hearing this news was as exciting to Dad as it was to me! The next day, we jumped in Dad's '62 Chevy Pickup and went to look at the Cameo. What we saw when we arrived was a giant model kit, with no instructions, the truck was totally disassembled!! After a closer look, I realized there were actually 2 trucks! A '55 and a '56, both Cameo's! I bought it all anyway and hauled the whole mess home in 7 truckloads!

I spent the next 5 years putting one truck together out of all of the parts. Some changes made to the Cameo included a lowered suspension, a 325 hp 350/ TH 350, Turquoise and Black paint scheme, & velvet interior.

I had the Cameo completed in time for the '87 Portland Roadster Show where the truck took home a 2nd place trophy. Later that year, the Cameo performed its greatest task, to drive my wife Angie and I away from our wedding.

Now 31 years later, I still have the truck. The engine is currently out and it is going through a few changes, but it is still here!!

the_dawg
07-30-2013, 03:09 PM
I love the cameo! Id like a white with red interior..

Toonman
07-30-2013, 05:02 PM
Mine was white with red originally