PDA

View Full Version : Replacing vent window locks on a 55 sedan-You asked for it so here it is....

max46
07-20-2013, 01:44 PM
Due to popular demand from a poster in the chit chat forum, I was asked to post a topic on a car. OK, and I thought it was fitting if I put a little sweetie as my avatar with her titties somewhat exposed.
So, I am in the process of installing my vent windows and all new guts in the doors of my 55 seeee-dan. The vent windows were not difficult to remove. Take out the cranking mechanism, four screws holding the frame and one damn bolt that holds the bottom of the vent window rod in place. That sob was so frigging rusted. The num nuts who had this car at one time did not replace the damn rubber that keeps the water out of the door and all was rusted inside. No wonder the doors are puttied. You know that you need to remove the glass out of the door to get the vent out, don't you? After I got it out, I put the frame that holds the vent glass in under hot tap water for a few seconds to loosen up that glass setting crap. Then I slowly pulled the glass out of the frame. It worked like a charm. I finally did not break any glass this time. In order to separate the glass frame from the rubber you need to take out two rivets that hold the rod that connects to the cranking mechanism. I did not need to remove the rivets, as they rusted out. The frame then just comes out from the top pin. So, ya put it back the reverse way and don't fuck up like I did and forget to put the the frame after and that is a big after, you put the rod that connects to the cranking mechanism in the frame that is set into the rubber frame part of the vent. I put that rod in the frame, put in my rtv set the glass in the chrome frame, let it dry over night. Next day I went to try to put the chrome frame, into the rubber frame and that is when I found out I screwed up. So, I did not want to remove all that rtv so I removed two rivets from the bottom of the steel enclosed rubber frame and pulled that frame open, and finally got that chrome frame, in. All I had to do is to rivet it back up but I fucked up again as I had the fuzzies glued into the rubber frame rod. I did not want to take the fuzzies out, as they were new, so I used small sheet metal screws and they fixed the problem.
Its not a difficult job removing the door guts, or vents. Its just so damn time consuming. So, if you read this all the way to the bottom, you are one helluva guy. So now I just need to install all the guts, including new rubber seal. Oh, put the fuzzies in and around the frame, if you need to, befoe you set the guts/window in.
After this its on to finishing the interior lights,(it will be a light show inside the 55) then sound system which I have all wired up but for some reason, it just is not putting out the sound. Think it could be the Classic Retro Sound radio that only has 200w capabilities. My amp is 2500w. Have not found anyone on the other site that concerns themselves with a solid stereo system. I don't know. I just need to have some Bob Seger's "Old time rock and roll" blasting. I blast it because I lost partial hearing in my left ear. Thank you Uncle Sam. Guess you are getting tired of reading this. Tough shit!

Maddog
07-20-2013, 04:51 PM
If that cheap retro radio has preamp outputs then it should work ok

chevynut
07-21-2013, 07:53 AM
Max46 do you know what a paragraph is? :)

What did any of that have to do with replacing vent window locks?

max46
07-21-2013, 01:01 PM
Max46 do you know what a paragraph is? :)

What did any of that have to do with replacing vent window locks?

Ha ha ha ha ha ha....Think I took one too many Zoloft yesterday. Yea, I am "edumacated". I just felt like rambling on. Me and Ellie Mae and Jethro went to the same college. The college of little or no knowledge! Going to put some poster pictures up now then call it quits for today. I am so damn tired for some reason. So, these posters/pictures will most likely stoke the fires of anger towards this poster, but, what the hell, what am I here for?? One more thing, if you want to see some nicey, nice post, you can see them you know where.

I thought I was explaining how not to screw up putting in a vent window CN. Mmmm, guess I need to put it into Ebonics.

chevynut
07-21-2013, 02:24 PM
Well, the title of your thread was....
"Replacing vent window locks (http://www.trifivechevys.com/showthread.php/2469-Replacing-vent-window-locks-on-a-55-sedan-You-asked-for-it-so-here-it-is)..."And I didn't see anything about replacing vent window locks. Just wondering....and giving you some shit :) :)

max46
07-22-2013, 05:17 AM
Well, the title of your thread was....
"Replacing vent window locks (http://www.trifivechevys.com/showthread.php/2469-Replacing-vent-window-locks-on-a-55-sedan-You-asked-for-it-so-here-it-is)..."

And I didn't see anything about replacing vent window locks. Just wondering....and giving you some shit :) :)

No problem Mr. chrvynuy. I can take it as well as give it. All in a joking manner.