PDA

View Full Version : Deciding on radiator setup

Bakins
07-27-2013, 07:23 AM
So, as part of my sheet metal work, I want to get doors lined up before I finish welding in floor, rockers, etc. So, I want to rehang the fenders, etc. PO had cut the core support up. This got me thinking that I should go ahead and get my cooling system thought out. I could just get a new core support to make sure everything is lined up - but I'd hate to do that and then decide I wanted one of the systems that replace the core support.

Right now, I've been looking at a PRC system or a sweet components system - http://www.sweetcomponents.com/Gen2coresupport.html The sweet components system is ~ $2500, while the PRC would be closer to $2000

Also open to suggestions. I'll be running an LS3.

chevynut
07-27-2013, 08:57 AM
Brian, it's cool (no pun intended) that you're making progress on your car.

I don't know much about the Sweet Components setup, but it look like a well thought out system. I don't see any specs for core size, or anything else like that. It looks pretty "sweet". :)

I know the PRC setup is a really nice system too, and the workmanship is excellent. I ordered the custom radiator for my Nomad from them.

To me it probably comes down to how complete each unit is, how much you want to spend, and the looks you want.

Bakins
07-28-2013, 04:25 AM
I talked to the "sweet" guy for quite a while on the phone. He talked a good bit about how complete it was, etc. I also know that PRC has a pretty good reputation. There's a thread on the "other site" about sweet: http://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102729

The real thing I like about the sweet setup is that it moves everything forward a bit. I should have plenty of room anyway, but for some reason that appeals to me. Just not sure it's worth ~ $600 more.

chevynut
07-28-2013, 07:54 AM
Brian, the PRC setup moves everything forward too. The radiator support is in the stock location, but the radiator is forward of the support in the 6-cylinder position. The fans sit behind the radiator, in the opening in the support. As I read the Sweet Components website it says the radiator is in the center of the support and the fans sit behind it. So I think the PRC setup actually moves the radiator forward more.

As I recall you're using the LS engine, so you really don't need that much room up front. Also, it depends on what you're using for engine accessories. Maybe that's a factor for your decision. Be sure to compare apples to apples, with fans, tanks and whatever else is included. $2500 is a lot of money for a radiator and support. But so is $2000.

Another thing to consider is can you build your own? Nothing like diving in and trying to copy something you like. I built every piece of mine except the radiator and condenser, which I bought from PRC. You could save a bunch of money, and have something unique. Personally, I like radiator covers on these cars.