PDA

View Full Version : CPP 500 Steering Gear

John J WA State
08-11-2013, 07:59 PM
Has anyone else had trouble with CPP 500 Steering Gear & Pump? I installed the first gear and pump & had no power steering - Real tight Top Dead Center. Not Good! Paid the freight down & back & after 3 weeks I received a new 500 Steering Gear & Pump. I installed the second gear & pump. Again, I had the same exact problem! I called them & they want me to send it back & they'll check it out. I went thru all the bleeding phases & nothing seemed to work. I would like know if anyone has any ideas that would help me. Thanks, John J WA State

markm
08-12-2013, 07:03 AM
I run their boxes but used 69-72 Chevy Truck pumps because they were free, no problems.

Rick_L
08-12-2013, 05:18 PM
John, there are actually few complaints about the CPP500 boxes. They do have a good reputation.

If I read your post correctly, you've had 2 boxes and 2 pumps, with the same negative results. So maybe you have an installation problem. If you installed the hoses backwards, you'd be complaining about how the steering wheel is trying to break your wrists, because when you'd turn the wheel to the right, the assist would be to the left. So that's not it.

Does your accessory drive require a reverse rotation pump? Any chance they've sent you two reverse rotation pumps if you need standard rotation? Or vice versa? Have you attempted to see if the pump actually flows fluid? How about a pressure check?

Maybe you could post what engine you have, and what accessory drive is on it, as well as what pump they are sending you.

Maddog
08-12-2013, 06:20 PM
Keep in mind that the 500 is not like a 605, it is very heavy compared to the "loose" 605 type of power.

poorboy
09-07-2013, 02:28 AM
I have a 500 box on my 57, no problems at all. Very easy to install. Will be putting one on my 55 as well.

warren57
09-07-2013, 01:18 PM
Mine was no better than manual when I started it the first time.
After getting the air out and filling the fluid, you can steer with no effort.