PDA

View Full Version : Tilt or not to tilt - Aftermarket columns

hurddawg
08-12-2013, 04:38 PM
Well I am drilling down on parts I need to complete my car and the steering column is one that I have a question on.

I'm am sure I want the ididit column with column shift. (Those with the flaming river, please chime in if you think I should reconsider)

Right now my thoughts are on the straight column, since I have a 57, I cant really "shorten" up the column by sliding it in through the firewall more. This is due to design of the dash on a 57. So the additional 2" of column with the tilt would be there.

1) The shorty 9 bolt adapter...I assume this helps reduce the space that is taken up due to the tilt, but only with aftermarket wheels. I assume you are SOL if you are using the stock wheel...correct?

2) I am a smaller guy. 5'10, slim. Does the 2" make that big of a difference?

3) I like the stock wheel quite a bit, have your elbow on the door sill and left hand on the wheel with the stock column is perfect positioning for me. I assume the ididit straight column would provide the same angle. With an aftermarket steering wheel, is tilt something I should consider?

I'd like to have the tilt feature, but at the same time with all the late model cars I've driven its always been set and forget. I'm sure it'll be the case here. I'm wondering if it would be worth the cost and then the real estate issue. I suppose it would have a lot to do with the seating eventually. IE OEM bench (which I will have for a while) or bucket seats. I could see how having tilt here would be nice due to seat height if custom seats are put in....

Opinions, thoughts, 2 cents...?

Rick_L
08-12-2013, 05:06 PM
The shorty 9 bolt adapter...I assume this helps reduce the space that is taken up due to the tilt, but only with aftermarket wheels. I assume you are SOL if you are using the stock wheel...correct?

No, you aren't SOL with the stock wheel, as you don't need an adapter at all.

I am a smaller guy. 5'10, slim. Does the 2" make that big of a difference?

I think it does to some. It's the whole package. It's where your body, arms, and legs are relative to the pedals and wheel. You may feel like the wheel is too close to you if you have the seat where you like it for the pedals.

With an aftermarket steering wheel, is tilt something I should consider?

Only you can answer that. With either wheel.

What I would suggest is that you go to some cruises and shows and see what others have and ask them what they like and don't like about their setup. See if you can sit in their car and see what you think.

I will promise you that there are some who have done the tilt, especially in a 57, and weren't aware of how it was going to turn out until it was pretty late in the game.

Maddog
08-12-2013, 06:17 PM
The shorter column is mandatory, I'm not heavy and the tilt is almost undrivable. The flaming River's tilt is 1" shorter then an Ididit. With the Flaming River tilt I still have to use the special short adaptor made by Ididit to keep my arms/elbows from being at 90 degrees like an old lady. Tilt is nice but if the non tilt is truly 2" shorter that may be a better way to go.

chevynut
08-12-2013, 08:33 PM
I sat in a 57 once with a tilt column and it felt like the steering wheel was in my face...didn't like it at all. I like a tilt column to get the top of the steering wheel down where it's comfortable to drive. Some like it to get it out of their gut. lol!

Personally I would go with the tilt, if you're going to change the column. If you're not going to use the tilt, why change the column at all? I would think you could use the stock column with the stock steering shaft cut off of the steering box.

hurddawg
08-15-2013, 05:02 PM
Thanks guys. There is a large trifive meet this Sunday nearby. I think I'll try to go and see if I can find a tilt column car there to see first hand.

One reason I was changing the column is to use the one I pulled from my hardtop in my 210 which its column is in poor shape (turn signal wiring has been stripped, column shift is jammed, etc). Other than replacing the top bearing in the hardtop column, its not in bad shape.

55Trifive
08-20-2013, 09:54 AM
Thanks guys. There is a large trifive meet this Sunday nearby. I think I'll try to go and see if I can find a tilt column car there to see first hand.

One reason I was changing the column is to use the one I pulled from my hardtop in my 210 which its column is in poor shape (turn signal wiring has been stripped, column shift is jammed, etc). Other than replacing the top bearing in the hardtop column, its not in bad shape.
Hey Hurddawg, when do you trifivers get together again?? How does one fine out about the meets.

hurddawg
08-20-2013, 10:29 AM
Hey Hurddawg, when do you trifivers get together again?? How does one fine out about the meets.

I actually wasnt able to make the big meet on Sunday. I had to work. :(

I got lucky and found out about the Trifive club as a flyer was in my car when I bought it.

Northwest Classic Chevy Club. This past Sunday was the large meet it seems, but the club meets every month in Issaquah. Looks like the next meet is Sept 19.
Here's the link to their site.

http://www.nwccc.net/

JT56
08-20-2013, 06:58 PM
I sat in a 57 once with a tilt column and it felt like the steering wheel was in my face...didn't like it at all. I like a tilt column to get the top of the steering wheel down where it's comfortable to drive. Some like it to get it out of their gut. lol!

Personally I would go with the tilt, if you're going to change the column. If you're not going to use the tilt, why change the column at all? I would think you could use the stock column with the stock steering shaft cut off of the steering box.

x2. I have a tilt and like it

55Trifive
08-20-2013, 07:39 PM
I actually wasnt able to make the big meet on Sunday. I had to work. :(

I got lucky and found out about the Trifive club as a flyer was in my car when I bought it.

Northwest Classic Chevy Club. This past Sunday was the large meet it seems, but the club meets every month in Issaquah. Looks like the next meet is Sept 19.
Here's the link to their site.

http://www.nwccc.net/
Thanks for the information dowg,