PDA

View Full Version : Urethane Engine Mounts

OLKY55
09-16-2013, 06:40 PM
We found a problem with the Energy Suspension (3-1114G) polyurethane engine mounts on the big-block in my 55. The motor only has a few minutes run time, has not been abused, but the driver's side mount has now collapsed. The other side has not collapsed, but the material seems softer than I would have expected. There is a torque strap on the driver's side, but it is not tight. Has anyone else seen this problem? Are there alternatives to the Energy Suspension brand?

NickP
09-16-2013, 07:44 PM
What has ES said about it? I'd like to see a picture of the failed part. Do you have a durometer gauge? It would be interesting to test an area that hasn't collapsed or been destroyed.

OLKY55
09-17-2013, 04:44 AM
I'm going to talk to ES today. I don't have a durometer gauge, but I would guess they are about 70D. You can dent them pretty easily with your finger.

NickP
09-17-2013, 05:29 AM
Keep us posted. I have four sets in stock that I'm going to check today. BTW, I just noticed you live just South West of my eldest Son. He lives in Katy (Cinco Ranch).

chevynut
09-17-2013, 06:28 AM
I've been using the 3-1114-G ES mounts on all my SBC and BBC installations. Interested to know what you find out about them. When you say "collapsed", what exactly do you mean by that? Did the mount tear in two? I thought it was designed specifically not to do that.

OLKY55
09-17-2013, 08:09 AM
ES says the hardness should be 70D. So, I would say it's about normal. The urethane has extruded out the side, letting the weight collapse the mount. They say the only thing that would cause this problem is heat. The #1 header tube on the left side is pretty close. I guess that has to be it. Now, I have the dilemma of how to fix it. I moved from Katy a few years ago. It's only a few miles away, but I'm closer to work.

NickP
09-17-2013, 10:33 AM
ES says the hardness should be 70D. So, I would say it's about normal. The urethane has extruded out the side, letting the weight collapse the mount. They say the only thing that would cause this problem is heat. The #1 header tube on the left side is pretty close. I guess that has to be it. Now, I have the dilemma of how to fix it. I moved from Katy a few years ago. It's only a few miles away, but I'm closer to work.

Can you post a picture of the proximity issue - I'd like to know how close too close is?

Rick_L
09-17-2013, 02:47 PM
The urethane should be able to take some pretty good heat. It certainly should be good well past normal water temperature.

I believe these mounts are a thermoset rather than a thermoplastic. I have to wonder if it ever cured and was defective from the start.

OLKY55
09-17-2013, 05:54 PM
2421From this old pic, taken prior to paint, you can see it is pretty close. You can even see where I had trimmed the top flange. These are the Williams ceramic coated ground-hugger headers. The ES tech said they see this a lot with block-hugger headers. It seems like I must need mounts that won't melt.

chevynut
09-17-2013, 06:38 PM
That doesn't look all that close to me. I agree with Rick on this. Urethane is a thermoset and should not "flow" like that, IMO.

Rick_L
09-17-2013, 06:49 PM
Now that I see how close, it isn't that close. You have some defective mounts IMO.

Maybe we should get together sometime. I'd even drive to Fulshear, except you'd have to give me some tips on how to avoid the notorious "Fulshear cop". You know what I mean. I have some friends and coworkers in Simonton, Orchard, and Wallis. I don't drive through Fulshear on my way to their places. :)

OLKY55
09-17-2013, 07:50 PM
I've had the mounts for a while, but I remember buying the two separately. When I ordered the first one, I thought it was a set. Turns out they were each. So, they are likely out of two different batches. I'm also wondering now if trimming the edge with a cutoff wheel had something to do with it, but the urethane has extruded from all sides - not just the top where it was trimmed. I'm hoping to get the car to Super Chevy in Baytown. We're cutting it close.

I live in Weston Lakes and work in Simonton. So, I don't have to drive through Fulshear, unless I go East. It would be nice to finally meet. We should have a West Houston Tri-Five get together.