PDA

View Full Version : Ready for paint!

chevynut
09-24-2013, 05:19 PM
In the past couple of weeks we got the drywall hung, taped, and textured. I sprayed 15 gallons of primer on the walls and ceiling. It took a lot more than I thought it should, but oh well. Yesterday I sprayed the ceiling with white semi-gloss latex enamel. I'm not real crazy with how it turned out because you can see some stripes in the paint and unevenness from the sprayer. I overlapped 50% and put on 7 gallons of paint...seems like a lot. The shop is 1300 square feet with 10-foot stud walls (almost 11 feet high ceilings total) and there's a stairway and storage room under the stairs.

I also put the lenses on the ceiling lights. There are 11 fixtures with four 4-foot bulbs each, plus a group of 5 LED lights in a "sitting area".

Now I have to paint the walls, but I plan to roll the paint on them. Spraying semi-gloss doesn't seem to give a uniform sheen. I'll probably touch up the ceiling with a roller too.

After that I need to finish up the final electrical work, and get it signed off. I also need to hang the heater (we pre-hung it), pressure test the gas line, and install the exhaust stack. Then I am going to blow in R30 in the ceiling to finish off the insulation work.

I'm trying to get this all done before it gets too cold here. I need to get heat back into the old shop at least. Still trying to decide what to do with the floor. I'm not moving anything in there until the floor is finished...I did that in the other shop and the floor never got done.

Rick_L
09-24-2013, 05:37 PM
Shoot I thought you were going to surprise and say the Nomad was ready for paint!

hurddawg
09-24-2013, 05:38 PM
looking good! At least you have a comfy chair moved in already :)

hurddawg
09-24-2013, 05:39 PM
Shoot I thought you were going to surprise and say the Nomad was ready for paint!

That's what I thought initially too!

chevynut
09-24-2013, 06:21 PM
LOL! I figured you guys would think that!

Actually the Nomad is pretty much ready for paint. I just need to do some final blocking to be able to take it apart and shoot it. The only thing I'm still working in is the interior of the car. The new shop needs to get done before I blow the car apart.

chevynut
09-24-2013, 07:11 PM

Yeah, that chair is an old one from my mom's basement. She wanted to try to sell it in a garage sale, but I decided to keep it for the shop. I have a sectional couch, another chair, and some tables I'm going to put in there too. The sitting area will be right below the gas pipe in the corner shown in the second picture. That's why I put in the recessed LED lighting, so I can turn the rest of the shop lights off if I want to. I also added a TV cable and phone line, but don't know if I'll ever use them.

The door opening between the shops is 48". I'm going to build a 2-piece door to fit there. The main door will be a normal 2'4" or so standard door, but I will be able to open it up larger by unlatching the other part of the door. I want to be able to roll engine stands and hoists between shops.

CHKYWUKY
09-24-2013, 09:05 PM
WOW!!! That is a huge shop. How wide is that sectional door? From your pic, It looks gigantic.

chevynut
09-24-2013, 09:29 PM
The door is 18x8'. I went a little wider than a standard garage door so I had more room between cars. 16 feet doesn't give much room.

This is a ~1300 square foot addition to my old ~1150 square foot shop. The old shop had a 16x8' and a 10x8' door. Here's a couple pics of the outside...the addition is on the right in the first pic. The other pic is the backside.

CHKYWUKY
09-24-2013, 09:41 PM
That is really nice. Forgive me for asking but are these a part of your Residence. If so it must be nice to work at home.

chevynut
09-24-2013, 09:49 PM
Thanks chkywuky. Yes, this shop is right next to my house...I have about 2.3 acres here. I retired from my engineering job last September so I've been working on fun stuff for the past year.

CHKYWUKY
09-24-2013, 10:04 PM
Liv'n The Life You Are.

carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)
09-25-2013, 05:36 AM
looking good. looks like you have plenty of light too. :cool:

JT56
09-25-2013, 08:08 AM

Is this the new MAN CAVE

warren57
09-25-2013, 08:24 AM
VERY NICE!!!! The envy of many (me)..... Bet you can't wait to use it!

Troy
09-25-2013, 12:57 PM
Still trying to decide what to do with the floor. I'm not moving anything in there until the floor is finished...I did that in the other shop and the floor never got done.

My friends machine shop is done in those old style 12 x 12 linoleum tiles. They're pretty tough and if one gets damaged you can just pop it up and put don't another.

56-210Sedan
09-25-2013, 06:15 PM
HEY!!!! when i first saw the title and i was sure the Nomad was going to be shot with paint :) Shop is looking great there Laszlo should be a great addition to play in :cool: