PDA

View Full Version : Solid Motor Mounts

JT56
10-02-2013, 10:46 AM
Since I am moving towards a large stroker SBC, thought of adding solid engine mounts to it. I currently have side mounts on it. Any thoughts from anyone. Car is 95 street driven, but I do keep my foot in it.

NickP
10-02-2013, 12:25 PM
You will feel every single application of the throttle pedal. What SBC?

JT56
10-02-2013, 12:37 PM
Looking at a 436 from Milton BADD55 in Georgia

NickP
10-02-2013, 12:39 PM
My my................................................ .......................... Kool

warren57
10-02-2013, 05:14 PM
I agree with Nick and believe some rubber is needed to damper the movement/vibration between the frame and the engine. In the old days we used to drill a hole through the mount and add a bolt through the rubber to hold things together when we tore the rubber loose. The bolt wasn't over tightened, just touching. I also saw one where a piece of chain was added to hold the engine from twisting when the rubber fails, didn't look to fancy but probably worked. Actually it torques down on the right mount, so that rubber never fails, it's the left side that goes bad after a while.

chevynut
10-02-2013, 07:51 PM
I would just use a different type of urethane mount than the stock design, if you're afraid it will break. Look at the ones from Earle Williams.

http://www.williamsclassic.com/#!__products

OLKY55
10-03-2013, 04:53 AM
My experience with solid mounts is that engine vibration will loosen every screw on the car. You might look at the Energy Suspension urethane mounts, if they're not too close to the headers.

BONNEVILLE BOB
10-06-2013, 01:22 PM
I agree with Nick and believe some rubber is needed to damper the movement/vibration between the frame and the engine. In the old days we used to drill a hole through the mount and add a bolt through the rubber to hold things together when we tore the rubber loose. The bolt wasn't over tightened, just touching. I also saw one where a piece of chain was added to hold the engine from twisting when the rubber fails, didn't look to fancy but probably worked. Actually it torques down on the right mount, so that rubber never fails, it's the left side that goes bad after a while.
Mid to late sixties full size Chevies had a bracket bolted to the exhaust manifold on the driver/left side with a cable that attached to the frame that didn't look to bad. Saved a set for future use... if I can remember where I put 'em.:-)