PDA

View Full Version : 1955-1957 Suspension help

jcbailey111
10-18-2013, 10:47 PM
Ok here is my delema-----maybe someone can help me and give me some advice--- I have a 55...and wanting to put a good suspension on the belaire------this will be more of a weekend car---- and more of cruising around with about 400hp and around 400 torque with the 383 stoker-----to say I have started on it would be a joke.....but definitively want to put all disc brakes on it --and want it lowered some to make it ride smooth and depending how the engine turns out maybe a little strip racing

I guess the really question is can I modify the existing frame/chassis to do that or should I just fork out the money for a new manufacture chassis with UTD bells and whistle---If i do modify the current chassis what should I do to it.....

thanks

JT56
10-18-2013, 11:34 PM
Ok here is my delema-----maybe someone can help me and give me some advice--- I have a 55...and wanting to put a good suspension on the belaire------this will be more of a weekend car---- and more of cruising around with about 400hp and around 400 torque with the 383 stoker-----to say I have started on it would be a joke.....but definitively want to put all disc brakes on it --and want it lowered some to make it ride smooth and depending how the engine turns out maybe a little strip racing

I guess the really question is can I modify the existing frame/chassis to do that or should I just fork out the money for a new manufacture chassis with UTD bells and whistle---If i do modify the current chassis what should I do to it.....

thanks

There are a couple of guys on this site that can help you with a modified chassis. I went with using a stock chassis, but adding dropped spindles, discs ect...

Run-em
10-19-2013, 05:58 AM
See Chevynut & Nick at Classic Edge or Prime Custom Cars (see above) for vette suspended cars. If you go aftermarket for just the brakes/suspension go to Performance on Line.com --their stuff is made in the U.S.A. I've gone POL a little at a time as budget allowed (started before I heard of Nick or Chevynut) many years ago. Stock wagon springs in the rear are plenty tough to handle your occasional strip trips. I went with QA-1 shocks as a splurge to help on the ride department.

NickP
10-19-2013, 07:26 AM

thanks

Good morning JCB. First off, WELCOME TO THE SITE! Budget is the main function regarding any choice you indicated. I am an Art Morrison dealer and can provide a very nice discount should you decide to venture that direction. As mentioned, Chevynut and I (Prime Custom Cars, LLC) have some very nice options regarding C4 suspended chassis. Laszlo AKA, Chevynut (Classic Edge Designs, LLC) provides a nice unit developed around the C4 suspension and a stock frame - Our chassis is all new mandrel bent tube with C4 suspension. As to the stock chassis, certainly, that can be modified using all of the new components from gobs of suppliers and it will do a fairly good job. The real issue, other than budget is your "Real" driving style and what you really expect from the total package performance wise. It's always a real letdown once all of your funds are spent and it just doesn't give you that "FEEL" you wanted.

https://scontent-a-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/197891_560374697309392_2110634535_n.jpg

chevynut
10-19-2013, 08:09 AM
You can make quite a bit of improvement with after market bolt-on parts, but the cost can add up considerably by the time you buy dropped spindles, new lowering springs, a disc brake kit, upgrade your steering box, and add a swaybar. However, I've had customers that have done everything they could do to the car with bolt-ons and were still not happy with the results. One of them did it all, then drove the Newman Car Creations 57 wagon with C4 suspensions and he said it didn't compare....so we converted his to C4. The C4 suspension geometry is far better than you can get with bolt-on pieces.

At CLASSIC EDGE we offer full or partial conversion frames for C4 suspensions, front clips, and rear installation kits. I believe we have the most affordable C4 solutions on the market for the average garage builder. We also have a supply of frames and suspensions. I have a couple of ads with pics in the classifieds if you're interested in going that route. They're a lot less money than a new chassis, and C4 suspensions are very affordable with parts readily available, but you have to remember that all parts are used. We have completed over 40 projects to date.

Here's a quick list of the offerings and current pricing:

Basic front clip $1850
Full front clip $2995
Basic rear kit $295
Full rear kit $495
Basic frame conversion $3995
Full frame conversion $5495

We can also do a front-only conversion if you don't want an IRS or you can just add a clip.

Customers that have completed their cars say it "drives like it's on rails" and "it's the most fun car I've ever driven". You can also take a look at my Nomad album below for more pics.

Good luck!

CLASSIC EDGE Designs, LLC
Fort Collins, CO

jcbailey111
10-19-2013, 08:18 AM
Chevynut---I actually just sent you an email late last night--- I appreciate the information---great.....can you tell me what the difference between a basic and full frame conversion....thanks

chevynut
10-19-2013, 08:30 AM
John, I sent you an e-mail. The "basic" frames, clips, and kits are the basic structure or parts that allow you to bolt the C4 suspension to the frame. They don't include engine mounts or brackets for swaybars, axle bumpers, pinion snubber, or shock mounts, which some guys want to do themselves either to customize them or to save money. We can do anything in between the basic and full offerings too.

jcbailey111
10-19-2013, 08:42 AM
do you do wall welding-----or do you do some form of bolt on front clips----I will take a look at this and get back to you....thanks

567chevys
10-20-2013, 07:28 PM
I can Now see a new show on TV , Frame Wars :D

Run-em
10-20-2013, 09:32 PM
Frame wars.....Naw! Would have to be too scripted, as Nick & Laszlo are friends. Each has their area of expertise with good results----really good handling rides.