PDA

View Full Version : igniton start problem

challenged
10-23-2013, 12:47 PM
Just got a 56 chevey recinitly and was starting now will not crank ther are 3 wires on the ignition switch as much as I can see can,t get the switch out if the dash tried paper clip in front with switch in on, put can,t get the cylinder out of the switch has after market starter with 1 small terminal. any suggestions-----------challendeg

Rick_L
10-23-2013, 04:29 PM
You must use a key and turn the tumbler to the lock position. Then you can use the paper clip to remove the tumbler.

challenged
10-25-2013, 06:07 AM
You must use a key and turn the tumbler to the lock position. Then you can use the paper clip to remove the tumbler.
Thanks for the reply ,been trying to get it out in the on position. challenged

challenged
10-27-2013, 02:24 PM
tried the paper clip in the cylinder in lock position and the on position and worked on it for a lot time can,t get the cylinder out. Car is kind of a hotrod with the battery in the trunk going to try adding some ground straps from body to frame, the frame is the negative ground. added some new wires to the battery and the starter solenoid. still think the problem is the ignition switch, shur is hard to get at. challenged

Rick_L
10-27-2013, 04:00 PM
Are you leaving the key in the tumbler while using the clip?

challenged
10-28-2013, 06:43 AM
thanks for the reply yes. yes have been trying with the key in. got the heater control out of the dash so can see some of the switch change some of the wires to other terminals. engine cranks but no power to the coil. the power to the coil goes out will cranking need to run another wire. the car started and ran fine when I bought it all I did was change the rear spring shackles and then it would not crank. this car has more wires under the hood than needed to run a 56 chevy without any power assesoirs. ----------- old---confused--------Challenged

chevynut
10-28-2013, 09:38 AM
the power to the coil goes out will cranking need to run another wire.

Yes, you need a wire from the "R" terminal on the starter solenoid to the positive side of the coil. This provides coil power while cranking and the ignition switch provides coil power while running. The power from the ignition switch to the coil should go through a ballast resistor.

the_dawg
10-28-2013, 12:04 PM
if points is that will.. :evil:

challenged
10-29-2013, 06:11 AM
Thanks for the reply, looked at your pictures very neet I'am envious. will run that wire soon.----------Challenged