PDA

View Full Version : need rear end lifted

omarsvette
11-01-2013, 09:57 PM
hello im semi new to tri five owner ship. my first was a 55 that i sold befor i could complete it. but i bought a 56 gasser in running condition. my problem is that i bought a wheel set but need to raise the rear to make these wheels fit. it has a 12 bolt with leaf springs no shocks. i have shackles but when i moved it to the bottom hole in hope to raise the rear i still didnt have enough clearance. actually the spring started to bend. so i figure bad springs. i was advised to just add air shocks to raise it. is this a good idea??

NickP
11-02-2013, 07:37 AM
Welcome aboard! I would not consider air shocks

Run-em
11-04-2013, 04:41 AM
Back in the old days, we resorted to 4 X 6 chunks of wood. Don't think that will solve your problems though. Nix on the air shocks also as they are notorious for suddenly loosing air & dropping the body onto the tires.

carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)
11-04-2013, 05:53 AM
hi Omar and welcome. good to have you here. maybe try www.summitracing.com (http://www.summitracing.com).

warren57
11-04-2013, 07:31 AM
Air shocks worked, but ride was rough and need to watch the trunk mounting holes, they won't take to much abuse. Better to use springs arched to raise the rear. I once moved the housing from above the springs, to below, but that was way to high!!