PDA

View Full Version : FENDERS, TRUNK, DOOR SKIN AND ONE PIECE FULL FLOOR

NickP
11-10-2013, 06:20 AM
Between Classic Industries, Danchuck, Ecklers and Sherman, who has all of them and has the very best for a true 1957 2 Door BA?

Hawaiian
11-10-2013, 07:34 AM
"Restoration World", out of Ohio. Great prices and after you spend $2,500 you get a 5% off anything you buy. Check it out, great service,nice people.
Mahalo

Rick_L
11-10-2013, 10:00 AM
The problem here is that Classic, Danchuk, and Eckler's all sell Sherman. Danchuk sells both Sherman and Golden Star. Not sure about the other two.

Resto-World sells Golden Star.

The real question should be between Golden Star and Sherman (actually EMI).

I think the Golden Star complete floor is recognized to be the best. Not even sure if Sherman/EMI has one.

Fenders might depend on year.

OLKY55
11-10-2013, 11:11 AM
I just bought a bunch of stuff for my 57 from Eckler's, because they were having a 20% off sale. Not everything was discounted, but a lot was. Everything was nice, but the full quarters have a vertical seem right through the wheel well, and the trunk floor for mini-tubs had a cheesy patch where the tubs were widened.

chevynut
11-10-2013, 12:18 PM
The problem here is that Classic, Danchuk, and Eckler's all sell Sherman. Danchuk sells both Sherman and Golden Star. Not sure about the other two.

Resto-World sells Golden Star.

The real question should be between Golden Star and Sherman (actually EMI).

I think the Golden Star complete floor is recognized to be the best. Not even sure if Sherman/EMI has one.

Fenders might depend on year.

Sherman/EMI makes full floors, but they're a lot more expensive than the Golden Star ones, and last I saw they didn't include the inner rockers. And they're not a one-piece floor...they're two half-pans welded together. I think it's something like $1200 versus the Golden Star price of around $900. Plus the Golden star floors are EDP coated, which provides some protection inside the braces. Sure, you may have to remove it before painting the floo, but at least the interior areas are coated.

No question in my mind....the Golden Star floor is what I'd use. Not sure about fenders, doors, and trunk.

I talked to Real Deal Steel at SEMA. They sell complete replacement bodies for $14000 and complete bodies with fenders, doors, and trunk for $18000. In some cases that may make more sense than trying to rebuild a body.

chevynut
11-10-2013, 12:20 PM
I just bought a bunch of stuff for my 57 from Eckler's, because they were having a 20% off sale. Not everything was discounted, but a lot was. Everything was nice, but the full quarters have a vertical seem right through the wheel well, and the trunk floor for mini-tubs had a cheesy patch where the tubs were widened.

So they decided to sell where everyone else prices their parts at? LOL

Got any pics of the quarters? I can't believe they'd sell them with a seam in the middle. That's garbage, imo. I didn't know they did minitubs. Show us some pics.

Rick_L
11-10-2013, 04:11 PM
I had heard of the mini-tubbed floors and tubs. Sounds like the factory makes them just like the rest of us do.

I too am curious about the quarters with a vertical seam, never heard of that.

There are lots of bad comments about the Golden Star quarters, mostly the same areas are bad in the EMI quarters. But they may be harder to fix.

Supposedly Golden Star doors are good. Don't know about skins.

I've seen some bad comments about both EMI and Golden Star 55 front fenders. 57 fenders may be better.

Remember that a "Real Deal Steel" body is all Golden Star parts. It's no better than the pieces.

To me, there's still no substitute for the real originals thing if you can get them.

OLKY55
11-11-2013, 05:26 PM
Here are some pics of the Frankenstein quarter.26452646

chevynut
11-11-2013, 05:50 PM
Sorry Olky55, but I'd send that crap back to Ecklers on their dime. No way would I use a hacked up quarter like that. What brand is it? I've never seen one with a seam in it.

Rick_L
11-11-2013, 06:09 PM
That's really ugly, and no way you can really work with that.

I too would like to know who made it, so I can stay far, far away.

567chevys
11-11-2013, 06:17 PM
That Just makes me sick that someone thinks that they can just sell S#*t !!!:mad:
Let us know what brand they are , Hope you dont mine but I'm going to make your pictures bigger .

Thanks Sid

OLKY55
11-12-2013, 05:48 PM
No manufacturer name on the parts. I guess they were really proud of them.

OLKY55
11-13-2013, 11:35 AM
Correction - they are Real Deal Steel.

Rick_L
11-13-2013, 02:23 PM
Uh oh.

Bluegrass Trifive
11-13-2013, 05:35 PM
Correction - they are Real Deal Steel. Wow they suck for sure! Unless Sherman sells a full one piece for a Sedan that's all that's out there though. I looked on their site and couldn't find anything. They must be getting complaints as Restoworld had this on their site2647 My only thought is to save money they only built a stamping die for the front section and use the rear section from a hardtop and splice it in ?

chevynut
11-13-2013, 06:02 PM
Bluegrass, I'm afraid you might be right. Either that or their die size is limited, and that's the only way they can make them. But they do make 55 full sedan quarters, so imo that's unlikely.

I think these guys are nuts or have very poor market research. They cut corners on these quarters that lots of people need, but they spend the money to make full 4-door quarters. Do they really think there's a big market for 4-door quarters? They should have made 2-door WAGON quarters before making the 4-door stuff.

It's the same crap with 56 repop bumpers. People either seem to want stock-like 3-piece bumpers, or smoothies. But all they make is 3-piece or 1-piece ("California") bumpers. The one-piece ones look just like the 3-piece when the guards are bolted on. WTF are these people thinking?

Bluegrass Trifive
11-13-2013, 06:41 PM
Bluegrass, I'm afraid you might be right. Either that or their die size is limited, and that's the only way they can make them. But they do make 55 full sedan quarters, so imo that's unlikely.

I think these guys are nuts or have very poor market research. They cut corners on these quarters that lots of people need, but they spend the money to make full 4-door quarters. Do they really think there's a big market for 4-door quarters? They should have made 2-door WAGON quarters before making the 4-door stuff.

It's the same crap with 56 repop bumpers. People either seem to want stock-like 3-piece bumpers, or smoothies. But all they make is 3-piece or 1-piece ("California") bumpers. The one-piece ones look just like the 3-piece when the guards are bolted on. WTF are these people thinking? I don't think they are thinking. Actually Ecklers and RealDeal don't make that real clear, it's there but in the details at the bottom. If you just look at the picture it's hard to see the splice line.