PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think of this?

chevynut
11-16-2013, 08:56 AM
Marketing hype, or real?

http://www.phillips66lubricants.com/brands-products/kendall_brand/titanium.aspx#/Videos/taxiTough

I wonder how it would have performed as compared to a full synthetic.

Rick_L
11-16-2013, 09:34 AM
I just typed up a fairly lengthy reply, and I hit the wrong button on the computer.

I'll keep it brief this time. I think it's marketing. You can prove anything you want with a "test".

I also think the difference between "blends" and full synthetic is narrowing, at least that's what I'm reading.

Also, 100000 miles on a modern EFI engine is like a walk in the park any more.

NickP
11-16-2013, 10:15 AM
Marketing hype, or real?

http://www.phillips66lubricants.com/brands-products/kendall_brand/titanium.aspx#/Videos/taxiTough

I wonder how it would have performed as compared to a full synthetic.

Uggh! I wish this was other than hype. Granted, the appearance of the front cover did look much nicer however they failed to mention anything regarding running temperatures on the two engines displayed for the "TEST". Nor do we know what the length of service was, i.e. did the cab company give the nice clean one to the owner of the company who lived way out of town and drove it home and back to work every day versus a true cabby in NY that hasn't a care in the world regarding the engine/vehicle and may have been instructed to run it in the ground. As to the measurements - OMG, running a profilometor over a frapping rocker fulcrum pin is not any sort of dimensional proof. Lets look at diameters VS each other and diameters of now versus "Stock". Also, what were the dimensional features prior to the test on both motors? So, in closing, HYPE/BS

JMHO & 2₵

chevynut
11-16-2013, 10:32 AM
Nick, they said they drove all the cars 100K miles before teardown. Yeah, I would have liked to see a lot more measurements before making any conclusions. I just thought it was interesting. I looked this up because this is the oil that Jiffy Lube put in my GF's car. I warned her about them, and they ended up selling her all kinds of crap. They claimed her anti-freeze looked pale, and did a PH test and told her it would probably freeze this winter. I don't think a Ph tests tells you much of anything. It didn't freeze last year, and nothing was changed. They did suck her into a new $10 air filter for $30.

567chevys
11-16-2013, 10:38 AM
Total BS , Taxi Cab ?? last few I have been in they drive like little old ladys !!

ilike55s
11-16-2013, 06:54 PM
I've seen attempts of these type of slanted "tests" when I was Assist. Maint. Supt. at big oil refinery and responsible of several hundred pieces of rotating equipment. We performed several "comparison tests" throughout my 33 year stint there. My approach to performing these tests was substantial documentation of products, equipment and conditions. I always INSISTED on a apples to apples approach !!
One such case that finally made a believer of my supervisor was, We had purchased a big rotary screw compressor that the Mfgr INSISTED we use their high priced synthetic lubricating oil or they would not honor the warranty should any problems arise. I wanted to run their lube til first required service and then convert it to Dexron3 as all other compressors in plant were on Dexron3 and had been for several years with no problems. We did maintain regular service times on all the machines. I did not want to have to stock several different brands of lube oil for warehouse control.
I did a spread sheet that took into account the two lube Mfgrs suggested service hours for changeouts. Obviously the synthetic lube Mfgr suggested service hours were longer than the Dexron3,,,BUT when you extrapolated out the total amouts of lube in a years timeframe,,,,,and the very obvious expense differences, the Dexron3 was a clear choice. AND, the compressor Mfgr "grudgingly" admitted that Dexron3 was a suitable lube in their machine.!!!

carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)
11-17-2013, 06:06 AM
wonder what the cost difference is? that is what would matter to me. :eek: