PDA

View Full Version : rust

55chevylover
12-06-2013, 03:54 PM
I would like to hear from everyone what is a good product that has been used to stop rust on frames and under side of body without sandblasting? Thanks

Run-em
12-07-2013, 02:47 AM
I've used Eastwoods rust encapsulator and/or POR 15 with good looking results.

chevynut
12-07-2013, 07:49 AM
RUST is a 4-letter word. IMO if you don't get rid of it, it will continue. I think these "rust coverters" and "rust encapsulators" work to some extent. But chemically they can only do so much. I just can't see them getting down to the interface between the rust and the base steel, and if they don't how do they stop the rust?

NickP
12-07-2013, 10:40 AM
I agree with Laszlo, The other issue I have is this; what you see on the outside of the frame is bound to be going on the inside of the frame, or at least it would seem logical. Presently, I have three customer cars in the shop. Every time I think I have the rust issues licked, I find more. At present count, on one vehicle I am at 72% sheetmetal replacement. I do however use POR to cover the new metal going in. I am also looking for a company to dip the body in something like what Ford used, then finish out the remainder of the metal work prior to final body work. I know there is a company in Georgia that has this service but it's a long road trip.

Rick_L
12-07-2013, 04:09 PM
My philosophy on surface rust is that if I'm going to sandblast or otherwise get the steel to "white metal" I am going to primer with epoxy primer and go from there. This is what I prefer to do.

If you are not going to go to "white metal" then you should consider POR15 type products. Consider them temporary.

I don't worry about the inside of the frame or inside of the body. If it was a concern - like the frame being buried in mud in a field - and with obvious issues - I'd just have to find another one - you aren't going to stop one this bad. The factory didn't coat or paint the inside, and non rust belt cars made it this long - they're going to outlast my ownership.

chevynut
12-07-2013, 04:27 PM
I agree Rick....I don't worry about the inside of the frames. Every one I've cut into is still thick as new. I used Rust Bullet inside my doors, because I couldn't get to most of it to get the surface rust out...and that's all there was. I believe POR15 isn't recommended over clean metal, but Rust Bullet is.

If I had my "perfect" way of doing things, I would dip the body and frame and do all the metal work on them that I wanted to do. Then I would dip them again and do the EDP primer over the entire body and frame, inside all the nooks and crannies. Then I would finish them. That way everything is protected inside and out. But you'd have to own a dip shop to afford a process like that!