PDA

View Full Version : 265cu

laf
12-13-2013, 01:20 PM
I have a technical question:
can we improve the 265cu? and how?

chevynut
12-13-2013, 02:10 PM
What do you mean by "improve"? Chevy already did that over the decades since it came out. :)

laf
12-13-2013, 02:41 PM
I mean: booster engine. because I don t want to change the engine. I want to keep the original

chevynut
12-13-2013, 02:46 PM
If you want to keep it original, it is what it is. You can make improvements to it with different heads, different cam....anything that will make it breathe better and pump more air will increase power. But keeping it original and making it perform better is going to be virtually impossible if it's in good shape now.

sleeper55
12-13-2013, 04:49 PM
Sure there is lots you can do to perk up the ole 265 and keep it very close to factory.Dont buy "it is what it is" for a second. Try ram horn manifolds to let it breath a little better. You can hide a 4 barrel carb under the air cleaner.Use an aircleaner that provides better air flow. You can get rid of the points and switch it to modern ignition system. Change the generator to an alternator. All that stuff is pretty cheap and easy and external. You could also tear it down and do plenty inside with cams and head work etc.

chevynut
12-13-2013, 05:19 PM
Dont buy "it is what it is" for a second.

You don't read very well do you sleeper? I said if he wanted to keep it original, it is what it is.

Here's what I said after that: "You can make improvements to it with different heads, different cam....anything that will make it breathe better and pump more air will increase power."

That "anything" I mentioned includes many engine modifications that can be done to the "original" engine....but it won't be "original" anymore.

Electronic ignition won't do much of anything for performance if the current ignition system is working right. All it does is eliminate maintenance. A 4 barrel carb would require a different intake manifold, and then it won't be "original" anymore, and performance gain without any other changes would be marginal, if any. Changing the generator to an alternator won't do squat for performance. IMO exhaust modifications won't help much unless restrictions on the intake side are dealt with. The piston is forcing the exhaust out, so it's easy to do. On a 265 I don't believe much can be gained by changing to another factory cast iron exhaust manifold by itself. It's a pretty small engine and doesn't need a lot of exhaust capacity.

In fact, raising the compression ratio is one thing that will improve engine performance without any other changes. The efficiency of an engine is directly related to the compression ratio. Other than that, supercharging will give you the most improvement, if you want to go there.

The question, Laf, is what do you mean by "original". Do you just want to keep the same block? Same heads? Same intake? Same exhaust? Same carb? Do just want it to look original externally? What kind of driving are you wanting to improve on? I don't think you're racing the car, so a lot of the changes that give you more top-end power won't help much for street driving.

Another question is what gear ratio rearend and what transmission do you currently have? You can increase the performance of the car by lowering the gear ratio (increase it numerically) and it will "feel" more powerful because you will have more torque at the wheels. In fact, I suspect that this is what you're looking for. It will give you more seat of the pants feel of power than any engine modification you can do, for a low cost. The tradeoff is higher rpm on the highway.

JT56
12-13-2013, 05:34 PM
I thought the 265 rods were considered a week point in those engines?

chevynut
12-13-2013, 05:51 PM
JT, "weak" is relative. If you're drag racing the car, it might matter. I'm thinking Laf is not happy with the street driving performance of his car. It probably doesn't take off well from stoplights, and doesn't accelerate well. That's how I suspect most guys drive an original car, not even street racing it. In that case, and if he doesn't do long highway trips (doubtful in Europe) then I think gearing should be looked at. He could even go to a stock 4:11 rear with a 3-speed overdrive that should perk it up. I have a full setup like that, but it would cost a fortune to ship. ;)

JT56
12-13-2013, 06:08 PM
I just remember hearing from my dad and his friends the rods were considered weak. Of course would be ok for normal driving.

Rick_L
12-13-2013, 07:30 PM
If you were to drag race a modified 265, the rods might be a problem. Otherwise probably not.

I do remember that the pistons were prone to cracking. Usually that wasn't a catastrophic problem - it didn't wipe out the block or anything serious. Just made a lot of noise and smoke.

The stock gearing is pretty steep by today's standards, but it's instant torque at the wheels. Gas mileage will drop.

laf
12-14-2013, 02:52 AM
ok I understood. give him a little more air. and put a TH350 for example. I don t want a race car. I want cruiser

sleeper55
12-14-2013, 07:37 AM
Your best bet Laf is to not take any imput from anyone on this site except chevysnuts. As you can see from the few easy cheap improvements I mentioned he jumped all over it and slammed me to the ground.The God says no, so the things that I have done in the past that has worked for me has no value.....His improvements requires you put your body on Vette frame pretty much and stuffing a 502 in it lol. I would just buy a Vette myself if thats the ride I was looking for (IMO)...A TriFive with a mild small block and an original under carrige is the best driving car ever made . They handle great, steer wonderful and stop just fine. I believe they were the best cars ever made.However chevysnuts knows all, done all and is all. His mouth kinda reminds me of a sheeps ass, shit just keeps coming from it all day. Good luck Laf with what ever you do, every little thing helps.

markm
12-14-2013, 09:34 AM
In truth not much you can do to a 265 without changing a bunch of parts, Have you considered pulling orginal moter and storing it and building a 327 or 350. I have been collecting parts for an old school 283, Powerpack heads with 1.84 valves from an HO 305 and a 097 Duntov cam. I have 2.5 rams horns and 3x2s. I got the block from a low milage rust free 57 210 in 1974. You will need a starter adaptor for a Turbo 350 as the starter bolts to trans on them. Cnut is correct about HEI does not make more HP than properly working points dist.

laf
12-14-2013, 11:13 AM
I realize that the 265 is quite limited. I will reflect for the 350 and TH350 or 700R4. disc brakes. Power Steering. 500 or 605 colonn Ididit. but still many fresh as my chevy 47. thank you for your opinions

Run-em
12-15-2013, 04:19 AM
You might try a 3 speed with overdrive and change the rear end gears to 3.70 to 4.11 range. That will give you get up & go, plus a five speed (overdrive in 2nd & 3rd). with overdrive on your gear ratio would be in the 3.2 to 1 range. My first car - 55 Chevy - was just such a ride and really fun.

Sal5657
01-04-2014, 01:19 PM
I have a technical question:
can we improve the 265cu? and how?

I can relate to what you want to do. In 1966, my friend had a '55 with a 265 in it. He had some work done on the heads, dual exhaust, solid cam with lifters, bored .30 over, 4 barrel intake/carb. I don't know if he increased the c.r. That motor was a little screamer for its time. I often get the urge to want to build one myself. I know it wouldn't be cost effective for what you would get. I know you'd be better off with a bigger cubed engine to begin with. But hell, anyone can do that. LOL. Sal.

chevynut
01-04-2014, 07:41 PM
LOL, the resident liberal dick posted this the day I left for Mexico, and I just saw it. What a dipshit.

Your best bet Laf is to not take any imput from anyone on this site except chevysnuts. As you can see from the few easy cheap improvements I mentioned he jumped all over it and slammed me to the ground.The God says no, so the things that I have done in the past that has worked for me has no value.....

No sleeper you're the one who first told Laf not to listen to me you ass. I said that anything you can do to get more air into the engine, and a corresponding amount of fuel, will make the engine put out more power. But as usual, you have to be a dickhead about everything. And no, an alternator won't do shit, contrary to your claims. Oh, and it's "input" here in the US...maybe it's "imput" up north. lol

His improvements requires you put your body on Vette frame pretty much and stuffing a 502 in it lol. I would just buy a Vette myself if thats the ride I was looking for (IMO)...

The stock tri5 suspension and steering pretty much sucks. You can make some improvements with bolt-ons, but the suspension geometry still leaves a lot to be desired...but you're obviously too stupid to even understand what that means. A C4 conversion brings the suspension design forward 40 years, and is a major improvement to these cars. I've always said it's not for everyone, and obviously not for you since you're an old school 4-door kinda guy. LOL! You wouldn't know what performance is if you saw it. A 502 isn't necessary, and my next car will have a supercharged LS engine in it. Either one will run circles around your "sleeper".

A TriFive with a mild small block and an original under carrige is the best driving car ever made . They handle great, steer wonderful and stop just fine. I believe they were the best cars ever made.However chevysnuts knows all, done all and is all. His mouth kinda reminds me of a sheeps ass, shit just keeps coming from it all day. Good luck Laf with what ever you do, every little thing helps.

What a crock of shit. A stock tri5 drives like a boat, the suspension is soft and mushy, they sway all over the road, the steering sucks, and the brakes are dangerous. That's why virtually anyone who knows anything upgrades the suspension, steering, and brakes. That shows what you know, you dumfuck wannabe.

sleeper55
01-06-2014, 08:48 AM
oh chevysgonenuts you seem a little worked up. you really should calm down before you have a heart attack and all there is to help you is a black Dr. Then what would you do? Hop in your 502 sweet riding chevy and go find a real Dr,? OMG what if your Dr. is gay??? Your losing the battle little boy.

Run-em
01-06-2014, 09:19 AM
Laf, you might work on the stopping and handling before you add any engine/power upgrades - as you will use these improvements no matter what the power plant.

sleeper55
01-06-2014, 09:36 AM
oh BTW chevyhasnonuts I own my 55 4 door because I like them. Your making fun of me because I choice a 4 dr?. There is always a faster, cooler,shinner car out there. I built what I like, for me.

I love the way they drive, If what I was after was the ride of a Vette I would buy one. I think people should drive and build the way they want. Its a personal choice and would never put someone down for it.

yes your 502 super charged car would beat me in some types of races. You win chevyhasbignuts. You are way better then me and my POS 4 dr.....I am crushed. I better go to ebay and buy a 2 dr.

markm
01-06-2014, 09:50 AM
It looks to me like a 4 door parts car fits right in with your junk Toylet

sleeper55
01-06-2014, 11:01 AM
I dont have a parts car. or are you talking bout my driver? Markm Do you fight everyones battles or just chevylovesyournuts

markm
01-06-2014, 04:24 PM
I dont have a parts car. or are you talking bout my driver? Markm Do you fight everyones battles or just chevylovesyournuts

Actually you are wrong again, Cnut owns a 4 door or two in his fleet. Therefore you are wrong again. My opinion of four doors was developed long before the internet or even home computers. Low mileage rust free 4 doors netted me rust free fenders for as little as $7.50 a pair for my 2HT.

sleeper55
01-06-2014, 04:36 PM
I am glad you got the old rust bucket on the road....good for u

Maddog
01-06-2014, 04:43 PM
Laf, of course you can make that 265 better without extreme effort. If it's a 2 barrel carb change it to a 4 barrel and put headers. If you don't mind a little extra work you can change the cam to a small Duntov solid lifter, with the 4 bbl carb and headers it will make a peppy street car. A recurve of the stock distributor will help also.

sleeper55
01-06-2014, 04:47 PM
oh oh.. the spark thing has been covered.....lol