PDA

View Full Version : Flashback '57

BONNEVILLE BOB
12-24-2013, 10:46 AM

Anybody got pics or kool stories 'bout this one?

BONNEVILLE BOB
12-28-2013, 05:49 PM
Nothing huh? Oh well, nevermind.:(

MP&C
12-28-2013, 07:31 PM
Looks like 5 louvers on the front fender. Wonder if they are original style or punched.....

c57heaven
12-29-2013, 06:54 AM
check the HAMB. Somebody has the car and it was in primer and beginning to be redone.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1773435&d=1351128536

JT56
12-29-2013, 07:18 AM
Says in Austin Texas too

BONNEVILLE BOB
12-29-2013, 12:15 PM
Looks like 5 louvers on the front fender. Wonder if they are original style or punched.....
Were louvered panels ordered from a rod shop & hammer welded in to replace the fake factory louvers.

BONNEVILLE BOB
12-29-2013, 12:21 PM
check the HAMB. Somebody has the car and it was in primer and beginning to be redone.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1773435&d=1351128536

That's partly correct. Was in a shop in Austin for a mechanical "freshing" after sitting for a few years. Was surprised that the only mention I could find was on the H.A.M.B. and not a tri-5 site. Was this car not popular with the die-hard tri-5 guys?

chevynut
12-29-2013, 05:01 PM
Bob, you seem to have some sort of interest in this car. What is it? Did you or someone you know own it? To me it looks like a pretty average 57 sedan. What's unusual about it? Seems like I remember seeing it in a magazine at some point, but it wasn't something that made me say "wow".

Maddog
12-29-2013, 08:13 PM
I have to agree, nothing to extraordinary to be a hot conversation topic.

BONNEVILLE BOB
12-30-2013, 08:19 AM
Bob, you seem to have some sort of interest in this car. What is it? Did you or someone you know own it? To me it looks like a pretty average 57 sedan. What's unusual about it? Seems like I remember seeing it in a magazine at some point, but it wasn't something that made me say "wow".

It's just one of my favorite '57s. After HRM gave it away in the summer of '84 it seemed to have disappeared. Then about a year ago it surfaced. virtually intact. All the numbers matching pieces accounted for and in good shape. I was 16 when HRM started the build. And for me it was a beacon in the sea of jacked-up, red, vette rallied, tri-5s that were the norm at the time. Did I mention RED? To this day red is my least favorite color on a tri-5. As to interest of topic, I was curious as to why the tri-5 groups seemed to shun the car. It's #s matching '57 parts with exception of the tranny(which is a T-10 B/W),wheels & paint.The restoration was over the top for 1984. I guess it wasn't the "in" thing at the time or now. Anyways, thanks for your responses. And everyone have a safe & Happy Newyear!!! Bob

BONNEVILLE BOB
12-30-2013, 08:21 AM
I have to agree, nothing to extraordinary to be a hot conversation topic.

Unlike your avatar.... Nice!!!

chevynut
12-30-2013, 09:01 AM
Bob, I don't think anyone "shuns" that car any more than they shun other tri5's that we don't talk about. It's just not very interesting to me. I didn't know it was a HRM giveaway car either, but that doesn't mean much to me either. I really don't care about "numbers matching" tri5s and I think very few people today do...but I own one. It's a 57 4-door 210 sedan with about 49K miles on it. Hopefully the market for these cars returns and I'll probably sell it.

I first assembled my Nomad in 1979-82. It had a C3 Corvette independent rear, my home-brew front disc brakes, a Muncie 4-speed, and a 435HP/427 BBC. To me, it was more interesting than that sedan by far...and it wasn't red ;). A divorce prevented me from finishing it back then and I didn't touch it for about 20 years.

It's amazing how things have changed over the decades. If that was "over the top" in 84, imagine what one of today's cars would have been like if it was built back then. :)

BONNEVILLE BOB
12-30-2013, 09:52 AM
Bob, I don't think anyone "shuns" that car any more than they shun other tri5's that we don't talk about. It's just not very interesting to me. I didn't know it was a HRM giveaway car either, but that doesn't mean much to me either. I really don't care about "numbers matching" tri5s and I think very few people today do...but I own one. It's a 57 4-door 210 sedan with about 49K miles on it. Hopefully the market for these cars returns and I'll probably sell it.

I first assembled my Nomad in 1979-82. It had a C3 Corvette independent rear, my home-brew front disc brakes, a Muncie 4-speed, and a 435HP/427 BBC. To me, it was more interesting than that sedan by far...and it wasn't red ;). A divorce prevented me from finishing it back then and I didn't touch it for about 20 years.

It's amazing how things have changed over the decades. If that was "over the top" in 84, imagine what one of today's cars would have been like if it was built back then. :)

I appreciate your response chevynut. Sounds like you were spinning wrenches while I had my nose in the magazines. You're dead on about the #s matching thing. That's true of most all cars right now. I consider myself a rodder, but still have a soft spot for genie originals. Guess the Flashback car just left it's stamp on that impressionable 16yr. old back then. Gave me something to aspire to. But then again, a 427/4spd Nomad would be a blast to drive for any 16 yr. old aswell. I can relate to the "ex-tended" build time too. (Pun intended) Been trying to get my sedan going since '96 & it's still in primer. One day.......

lucymurphey
07-23-2021, 12:50 PM

Anybody got pics or kool stories 'bout this one?

I own this car! you interested in buying it?

BamaNomad
07-23-2021, 01:06 PM
Hi Lucy, How about you attach some current photos and let us know where it can be seen nowadays? I'd guess many of us might be interested with some current information..

BONNEVILLE BOB
01-16-2022, 01:19 PM
I own this car! you interested in buying it?
Have you got any recent pics?