PDA

View Full Version : flowmaster exhaust

mikes55
01-01-2014, 02:52 PM
does anyone of the members have the flowmaster 40 series delta flow mufflers on there car. I am looking to put them on my pro street 55 chevy and was wondering how was the sound compared to the original 40 series. I don't want to put something that is to quiet on a pro street car even though I have p/s,a/c,p/w. I would greatly appreciate the feedback.

56-210Sedan
01-01-2014, 08:10 PM
Mike i have never used flowmaster so i have no advice on that end, i have heard that the delta flow model eliminated a lot of the drone but from what i hear it is still present. I will ask around some of the people i know and see if maybe i can give anymore help.

mikes55
01-02-2014, 07:08 AM
I would really appreciate it. I will have to run my exhaust in front of the rear tires because of space limitations and I was wondering about the sound difference between the two. thanks

Rick_L
01-02-2014, 07:42 AM
I too have never used either one. But by their own description the delta is supposed to be quieter.

Thing is, I really don't think that means it's "quiet" by most standards. The other half of the deal is that with the pipes exiting in front of the tire, that's a loud situation too. Unfortunately what you need is a long muffler, and you can't do the side exit with that. So you're kind of in a box for a solution.

MikeB
01-14-2014, 07:31 AM
The only Flowmasters I've used were 2-1/4" Delta Flow 50s on a 1969 pickup. The interior resonance was very bad, even with pipes all the way back to the bumper. But relative to a regular 40, they are probably quieter, but I just can't say.

chevynut
01-14-2014, 09:12 AM
I don't know why everyone loves the Flowmaster mufflers so much...to me they're ugly. I remember a customer sending me a pair, and they had crappy welds outside and you could see every internal weld outside the case. Maybe being ugly isn't a big deal to some, because you can't see it under the car. But if you can get a nice-looking muffler that sounds good and performs well, why not do that? Seems like a lot of guys complain about Flowmasters being too loud. I am using Magnaflows on my car, and another guy I built a frame for is using Borla's.

sleeper55
01-14-2014, 09:47 AM
I don't know why everyone loves the Flowmaster mufflers so much...to me they're ugly
Maybe because eveyone doesnt wanna be like you? Just a thought

JT56
01-14-2014, 10:14 AM
I starter with turbo mufflers and they were loud enough...then Flowmaster 40 and they sounded good at first, but didn't like the drone. Now I have Magnaflow and like them very well!

Maddog
01-14-2014, 10:22 AM
ALL flowmasters I have used were excessively loud. Probably good on a gasser type.