PDA

View Full Version : wtb; 55-2dr quarter/quarters both used.

bsa_bob2
01-16-2014, 09:16 AM
Looking still for one or two panels that need some repair$100.00 finders fee if i purchase them . i'm taliking about those extra ...used parts in your garge or your friend garage , not new ones yet. thanks bob s

chevynut
01-16-2014, 09:35 AM
Hi Bob, I'm curious why you're looking for used quarters that most likely need a lot of repair, and are even willing to pay $100 finders fee, instead of just buying new quarters. Is it the cost of new, or are you afraid they won't fit correctly? Seems to me that used ones are going to be hard to come by.

bsa_bob2
01-16-2014, 10:17 AM
Yeah i'm abit punchy on these new panels .Horror stories scarin me out alittle. the stories fro many are pretty bad making them fit. btw thanks for your reply laz.........I keep thinkin some might pop up.
Which ones would you use? in the full quarters for my 2-dr sedan. You'er quite good at fit +finish.
finding these will be a Hard task. but if i don't try.I think you do quite nice work.Hopefully i can come up with something pretty soon. i'm losing ground looking i know.

chevynut
01-16-2014, 10:50 AM
Bob, I have never used any '55 quarters, so I don't know anything about them. I personally think they should have left the quarter window OUT of the Taiwan sedan stamping to make them cheaper. Who needs to replace the entire quarter window surround? It just makes the tooling larger and more expensive. IMO they should have terminated it at the base of the b-pillar and c-pillar.

Good luck finding used quarters. Personally I'd just bite the bullet and get new ones. Unless you find something that was cut off 30 years ago, I can't imagine it being much good.

Rick_L
01-16-2014, 11:03 AM
Having done a 55 sedan with a Sherman quarter, I'm pretty sure I'd rather have a new Sherman quarter than a typical used original. It's less work. And now that I've done one, I could save a lot of time on the second one.

From what I read about the imported sedan quarter, I don't know if I'd go for it over the Sherman one or not. I probably would.

bsa_bob2
01-16-2014, 11:08 AM
Having done a 55 sedan with a Sherman quarter, I'm pretty sure I'd rather have a new Sherman quarter than a typical used original. It's less work. And now that I've done one, I could save a lot of time on the second one.

From what I read about the imported sedan quarter, I don't know if I'd go for it over the Sherman one or not. I probably would.

Theres one thing about it! Sherman panels are right close to me near detroit.Is the fit and the relief areas detail ..good? Was it close in the detail of the ...relief areas of the panel? rick ...good to hear from you

chevynut
01-16-2014, 11:23 AM
Yes, but keep in mind that Sherman doesn't make quarters for a sedan, as far as I know (not for a '56 at least). I think GoldStar is the only one making sedan quarters. To use a Sherman quarter you have to cut the HT "dip" put and leave the dip on your sedan. For that reason alone, I think I'd go with the GoldStar quarter.

Rick_L
01-16-2014, 04:52 PM
Same deal for a 55, the Sherman quarters are for a hardtop and you have to deal with the beltline dip as Cnut describes.

Here are the problems I had with the Sherman 55 ht quarter:
- Door jamb and wheel cutout bends not as crisp as original.
- Ht door jamb is not same as sedan anyway.
- The area that's an extension of the rocker panel was not bent far enough, by about 5-10 degrees, more at the back, less at the front. The contour was not correct either. Tried to make some fixtures to bend it without success. With the quarter panel on the floor or bench, it's a noodle and you can't get any leverage to bend on it. I ended up cutting slits in the rocker on the bottom to reduce its stiffness - was able to bend it into shape, then welded the slit up. As I recall, 2" slits on 3" centers (i.e., 1" metal left between the slits).
- Details below the taillight were not perfect - but what I was attaching them to was replacement sheet metal also (trunk dog legs).
- When they punched the fuel filler door, they distorted the original contour of the quarter panel, it was flatter around the door than adjacent areas.

From reading posts from guys who used the Golden Star sedan quarter panel, most of those same areas are problems with it too. Without having done one, it's really hard to say which one is better or worse in each area, as well as the reality of how much trouble to fix. I'm guessing that the Sherman panel is better on the wheel cutout and easier to fix. The rest may be a tossup except for the belt line dip. If I'd had a Golden Star sedan quarter, I would have used the first 3-4" of the C post - but I don't know how good or bad the accuracy of the forming is in that area on the Golden Star panel. As it was, I had a few rust holes to fix, as mine had rusted under the stainless trim.

In the end, I'm happy with how it turned out. And as I said, I could do it again much quicker.

567chevys
01-16-2014, 05:34 PM
Hi,
Here is a pair of 1/4's down in Brownsville Oregon ,
This guy is selling off most of his stuff , he has bought stuff from me and is a very nice guy.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/pts/4283543881.html

Sid

Maddog
01-16-2014, 06:00 PM
Add another $150 for truck freight....might as well buy brand new

bsa_bob2
01-17-2014, 03:24 PM
Yes, but keep in mind that Sherman doesn't make quarters for a sedan, as far as I know (not for a '56 at least). I think GoldStar is the only one making sedan quarters. To use a Sherman quarter you have to cut the HT "dip" put and leave the dip on your sedan. For that reason alone, I think I'd go with the GoldStar quarter.

yeah goldstar gets my vote. just have to slam my credit ahard one ..then pay it off and slam it one more time thanks all bob s

bsa_bob2
01-17-2014, 03:24 PM
Add another $150 for truck freight....might as well buy brand new

you have something there maddog. Why is it you alway find what you could possibly use.........ITS ALWAYS ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE WORLD!!!!! gets abit tiring.

Maddog
01-17-2014, 03:33 PM
you have something there maddog. Why is it you alway find what you could possibly use.........ITS ALWAYS ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE WORLD!!!!! gets abit tiring.

I know what you mean, good luck in your search.