PDA

View Full Version : Saginaw Pump Design...Original Sucks

JT56
02-18-2014, 10:04 AM
For something that GM, Ford and Dodge have used for numerous years, this pump design with the attached reservoir just plain leaks! My original Type 1 ps, had only 5K miles on it...it gave me fits the first time.

Rick_L
02-18-2014, 11:30 AM
Actually I think it's pretty clever, and I've never had one leak. They used it for about 40 years.

Maybe you have a non-GM tank. Or maybe GM China doesn't have the formula.

Maddog
02-18-2014, 11:45 AM
X2 Never had one leak. You may have bought a new Chinese repop from cpp

JT56
02-18-2014, 11:57 AM
Nope bought a Tuff Stuff the first time (pear shape) and GM (bottle neck) one the second time. When I combine it with the Alan Grove brackets that uses bolts instead of studs, then I guess that maybe part of the issue. I guess that is why GM went the the remote reservoir on the BBC ones later! To me the mounting holes should have a rubber collar that has a lip on the outside and then the bolt passes through instead of needing the exterior case to be squeezed to an O-ring to seal!

Lots of posts on the internet with leaking Type 1 pumps.

JT56
02-18-2014, 12:00 PM
Tuff Stuff advertises Made in USA? I actually bought a seal kit and tried it that way too. Couldn't get it to stop leaking so bought a GM and still leaking. Took it back apart for the 3 time yesterday. Will see when I get home if it held!

Maddog
02-18-2014, 12:40 PM
You must have all the bad ones. I've used 20-30 and never a leaky one.

Maddog
02-18-2014, 12:43 PM
If you have chrome it's a Chinese repop. You can't find original cases that aren't dented, it's way cheaper to buy the new China chrome ones. The pump is probably a rebuilt Saginaw, made in USA but not that can.

markm
02-18-2014, 01:00 PM
Wow, I have a couple garages full of cars with these pumps and no complaints, several are 40 plus year old OEM parts.

Maddog
02-18-2014, 01:37 PM
Wow, I have a couple garages full of cars with these pumps and no complaints, several are 40 plus year old OEM parts.

Correctomundo, the chrome are Chinese performance parts inc

markm
02-18-2014, 05:16 PM
Correctomundo, the chrome are Chinese performance parts inc

Probabally started out as Chinese Commie Perf Parts.

toms57
11-30-2014, 03:39 PM
I had a Tuff Stuff new pump and chrome can that came with a March serpentine system. It leaked around the perimeter of the pump. I assumed that it had to do with the chrome plating and the o-ring seal. I got frustrated and ordered another just like it and so far, so good with it. Maybe I can fix the old one and use it somewhere else.

Tom