PDA

View Full Version : Great Smoke Stories!!!

JT56
02-24-2014, 08:20 AM
I went to help another guy with his hotrod. Were leaving his neighborhood and this guy stops me to ask me about my car. "Hey what kind of car is that?", then he said "you wanna race it?" So he get in his S550 Mercedes and we go out on Route 66 in Rowlett. We have a couple of areas that go across bridges so no one can enter...anyway we do a couple of 20 mph punches and...well no contest. Then he wants to keep going...He askes if I have NO2! Told him no just American Muscle V8! When I take my buddy home Im pulling out of the neighbor hood and he stops me again and wants to buy my car!!!! Funny. I guess he thought his turbo V8 could take an old car!:D:D I pulled up his car and it says it makes 449hp and 512 torque

JT56
02-25-2014, 04:50 AM
Why dont we use this thread heading for any other stories! Its cool when someone picks on these "old" cars and finds out the hard way!!!!

Maddog
02-25-2014, 07:06 AM
The S550 sedan is a 4600lb car that runs 13.3 qtr mile, not too shabby for a barge. I'll bet he outweighs you by 1000lbs. Priced at $100,000 what is he doing racing on the back roads?

chevynut
02-25-2014, 08:09 AM
Most new cars are heavy because of all the power equipment, safety equipment, sound deadening, and comforts that they put in them these days. In a straight line drag race, a Tri5 with decent power has a good chance of outrunning the S550 based on power to weight ratio. But on a twisty road or at high speed that would change dramatically. Even with the added weight the S550 would significantly out-handle most tri5s. At high speed the tri5s are about as aerodynamic as a brick.

It's funny that most people talk about my Nomad and my other 56 as heavy cars. They say they're surprised that I put the Corvette suspensions under these cars and they handle the weight okay. A C4 Corvette weights about 3300-3500 pounds depending on the year and model. A factory 55 sedan weight 3200 pounds. A stock Nomad 3400 pounds. People have a hard time believing they're that light. My GF thinks my Nomad looks long but I told her that it's within about 6 inches of her 2008 Malibu, and about the same weight.

JT56
02-25-2014, 10:47 AM
Because he probably thought my car weighs more than his and he had a 13 second car(v-8 turbo). I was ahead of him by 4 cars when I shut it down! I had an extra 200lb passenger too. Most of the new crowd thinks these cars are "heavy", little do they know LOL! Yes by race car standards they are heavy.

Before I changed the motor, I had a guy with a whipple charged new camaro that I knew would out run me. He was bragging how much faster he was with the new technology ect... I told him, yeah your faster...I can add money to my car to beat yours, but you can't add money to yous to make yours turn heads like mine!!!!

JT56
02-25-2014, 10:50 AM
Most new cars are heavy because of all the power equipment, safety equipment, sound deadening, and comforts that they put in them these days. In a straight line drag race, a Tri5 with decent power has a good chance of outrunning the S550 based on power to weight ratio. But on a twisty road or at high speed that would change dramatically. Even with the added weight the S550 would significantly out-handle most tri5s. At high speed the tri5s are about as aerodynamic as a brick.

It's funny that most people talk about my Nomad and my other 56 as heavy cars. They say they're surprised that I put the Corvette suspensions under these cars and they handle the weight okay. A C4 Corvette weights about 3300-3500 pounds depending on the year and model. A factory 55 sedan weight 3200 pounds. A stock Nomad 3400 pounds. People have a hard time believing they're that light. My GF thinks my Nomad looks long but I told her that it's within about 6 inches of her 2008 Malibu, and about the same weight.

When they are lower they do long longer! In the weeds!!!

JT56
02-26-2014, 10:41 AM
Bump, nobody else has any other stories to share?

chevynut
02-26-2014, 10:54 AM
SMOKE?

My first car was a 55 Chevy 2-door sedan that I built myself from a mostly bare rust-free shell and frame I bought for $35 in the late 60's. I first built it with a 283, and after a couple of years I put a Corvette 427 in it with a muncie and 4:11 posi rear. My first drive after installing the 427 actually scared me because the engine had so much more torque than the 283.

Anyhow, a friend of mine had a 67 GTO with an L-88 427 in it, and I had the 55 with a 390 HP 427 which was a lot of power in those days. I could break my L60 tires loose in second gear at will. We drove our cars downtown one night when things were pretty dead otherwise and were cruising side by side on a one-way street, when be both punched the throttle. Both of our rear tires started smoking and we literally filled the street and the next intersection with tire smoke.

You'd never get away with that today...the cops would be on you like stink on shit, they'd confiscate your car, and you'd be in jail. Back then even if you did get stopped, they'd often just give you a verbal warning or a minor ticket. Now it's all about how much money they can make.

markm
02-26-2014, 11:09 AM
SMOKE?

My first car was a 55 Chevy 2-door sedan that I built myself from a mostly bare rust-free shell and frame I bought for $35 in the late 60's. I first built it with a 283, and after a couple of years I put a Corvette 427 in it with a muncie and 4:11 posi rear. My first drive after installing the 427 actually scared me because the engine had so much more torque than the 283.

Anyhow, a friend of mine had a 67 GTO with an L-88 427 in it, and I had the 55 with a 390 HP 427 which was a lot of power in those days. I could break my L60 tires loose in second gear at will. We drove our cars downtown one night when things were pretty dead otherwise and were cruising side by side on a one-way street, when be both punched the throttle. Both of our rear tires started smoking and we literally filled the street and the next intersection with tire smoke.

You'd never get away with that today...the cops would be on you like stink on shit, they'd confiscate your car, and you'd be in jail. Back then even if you did get stopped, they'd often just give you a verbal warning or a minor ticket. Now it's all about how much money they can make.

Kids today would be put away for the things we openly did at their age.

JT56
02-26-2014, 12:00 PM
They will usually let you hit one gear. I have gone to the Cars and Coffee and when everyone leaves the cops are always there! Cnut those are some good stories! Keep them coming!

vabeach56wagon
02-27-2014, 11:34 AM
Not a Tri-five story, but nonetheless true. When I was going into my junior year in college, I sold my 55 Bel Air coupe to buy a 6 month old 66 SS396 Chevelle. It belonged to the son of friends of ours who couldn't take it to college and his dad wanted the car out of his garage. So I bought it, 360 hp, 3.73 posi, M21. This became my tuition payer. The Washington DC area had several drive-ins where street racers congregated in good numbers, everybody posturing and blowing smoke. Fortunately my wife and 2 year old son liked the car and enjoyed drive-in restaurants. Another friend who could make conversation with a dead tree always met us. He set up the races because I was busy with the toddler. But some changes were necessary. First thing that went into it was a good car seat for the boy, then a litany of go-fast parts: 4.56, Hooker over the frame headers, Hurst, line-lock, pulled and blueprinted motor along with an Engle hydraulic "stock specs" 360 cam, Edelbrock, 750 cfm vacuum secondary Holley. No loud mufflers, nice and quiet, very slight rake, 15" Ansen slots and the biggest stickiest tires I could find. We'd show up, little family scene, my buddy would do his thing...He'd sidle up to some GTO or Fairlane or Chevelle and start his banter. We stayed away from the Tri-fives completely, too many unknowns, especially with built small blocks. The matches always were set for some time after midnight so the boy and his mother would be home and asleep. It took 8 races at $100 each per semester to pay my tuition, books were a 9th. We moved from spot to spot, drive-in to drive-in to avoid becoming too well known.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL15/632342/1009065/11777280.jpg

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL15/632342/1009065/69468633.jpg

Eventually there appeared regularly in our neighborhood a maroon '67 SS Chevelle, jacked up and supposedly running a 427. You know how it works at the local gas station: "Hey, man. You run that badass '67 yet? When ya gonna really test yourself? He'll blow you away with that motor." One Thursday, my now ex-wife was tooling to the grocery store, boy in his seat chewing on god-knows-what, when the maroon car pulled alongside her. He did the customary challenge and my good wife squared up with him at the next light. Now she was adventurous but not at all a racer. She got blown away at the line by the guy, who slowed down and laughed at her. When she picked me up from my shift as a waiter she told me the story.

So the next weekend we searched him out. Found the dude and his buddy at the Hot Shoppes on Connecticut Avenue in northwest DC. I idled in, no splash. Wife and son were home. With me was my matchmaker. It didn't take long to set up for 1:00AM at the best place, a limited access spur off the Capitol Beltway where the staging area, start and finish of the 1/4 were painted on the asphalt. After the money was put up and in the hands of a very talented, honest and objective builder of hot cars, we left for my garage. Quick top end tune, uncap the hookers, mount the M&H's, and tighten the bars to the rear housing. We rupp, rupp and rumbled at less than 2 grand on the tach the 7 miles to the staging area. This was serious business. Honor was at stake in addition to my $100. When we got there I was amazed at how many cars were parked on the side of the spur in the opposite direction. Had to have been at least 50 and nobody knows how many people were lined up along the center guardrail.

The guy wanted to pull out and get his money back because my car was a "race" car and he didn't have headers to uncap, blah, blah. "No, sorry, bud...there were no conditions...let's go." Flashlight in hand, our agreed starter staged us. I pulled him at least a car length out of the hole and kept on pulling him, enough to back off a bit and win by 4 or 5 lengths. We did our turnaround and came back to the start. "Wanna go again?" "Yeah, but you gotta cap those headers or it's no go", he said. I did. This time I stayed in it all the way through the painted traps and smoked him by at least 10 lengths. He kept on going and I watched his taillights disappear towards DC.

Saw the guy at the AMOCO station a couple of weeks later. No posturing, just full of questions which I was happy to answer. We were going to go after it again at the old Aquasco strip down route 5/301 in Southern Maryland, but when I could go, he couldn't and vice versa. That car to this day remains close to being my favorite of all the cars I've owned.

paul

JT56
02-27-2014, 06:19 PM
Mr Paul, sounds like you showed him! Cool story, lets keep them coming!

Geoff
03-15-2014, 06:30 AM
Not a trifive story but when I was a kid in the 80's I had an all original 20k mile '74 Corvette (yep, a disco vette) that had the more powerful small block option, but was still nothing to brag about....except from a 20 mph punch. For some reason that car would scream from 20 to about 80 mph.

I was sitting at a light one early evening with a long stretch of empty road ahead of me when a guy pulled up next to me in a DeTomaso Pantera that was all maxed out with the wing and everything. I said "wow, nice car what does it have in it?" And he flat-out ignored me.

I quickly decided that I had nothing to lose so I decided to see if I could get him into my disco vette's 20 mph "sweet spot" and sure enough, he fell for it. Somehow, the disco vette stayed a fender ahead of that Italian/Detroit hybrid until I shut down at about 80 knowing very well that he was about to leave me behind.

Sure enough, at the next stoplight he seemed astonished and was now ready to talk... He flat-out wouldn't believe me when informed that his winged "super car" was beaten by a kid in an ugly disco vette. :)

JT56
03-15-2014, 08:54 AM
Not a trifive story but when I was a kid in the 80's I had an all original 20k mile '74 Corvette (yep, a disco vette) that had the more powerful small block option, but was still nothing to brag about....except from a 20 mph punch. For some reason that car would scream from 20 to about 80 mph.

I was sitting at a light one early evening with a long stretch of empty road ahead of me when a guy pulled up next to me in a DeTomaso Pantera that was all maxed out with the wing and everything. I said "wow, nice car what does it have in it?" And he flat-out ignored me.

I quickly decided that I had nothing to lose so I decided to see if I could get him into my disco vette's 20 mph "sweet spot" and sure enough, he fell for it. Somehow, the disco vette stayed a fender ahead of that Italian/Detroit hybrid until I shut down at about 80 knowing very well that he was about to leave me behind.

Sure enough, at the next stoplight he seemed astonished and was now ready to talk... He flat-out wouldn't believe me when informed that his winged "super car" was beaten by a kid in an ugly disco vette. :)

Good Story, wait until Moby gets on the streets!

This past Thursday at the Rowlett meetup, there was some really nice street/strip cars there! Sure am glad I have my little SBC under the hood lol!!!!!

JT56
03-21-2014, 11:22 PM
Well got another story! 55 with LS tried to pick on the ol' generation SBC 56 tonight...chalk up another one for the 56!

markm
03-22-2014, 07:57 AM

Your Disco Vette probabally had the L-82 that came std in my 74 Z28 and you are correct about the way they run from a roll. I remember a Porsche passing me somewhere in Ill on my way to the 1983 Street Machine Nats, This was not exceptable so I passed him back, I threw in the towell when he hit 5th and I was 6000 rpm in 4th. The tired old L-82 has not had the heads off to this day.

chevynut
03-22-2014, 04:36 PM
What's a "disco Vette"?

Run-em
03-22-2014, 06:14 PM
John Travolta's car???

markm
03-23-2014, 07:58 AM
What's a "disco Vette"?

It was a new one on me too, but I took it to be a Vette from that era, with features like my 1978, a glove box with dividers for eight track tapes.

JT56
03-24-2014, 07:46 AM
It was a new one on me too, but I took it to be a Vette from that era, with features like my 1978, a glove box with dividers for eight track tapes.

Eight Track lol! There is a guy that come to some of these shows with a 80's Z28 wearing his AC/DC shirts, bandanna's and has a case full of 8 tracks! Car has t tops too!

markm
03-24-2014, 09:42 AM
Eight Track lol! There is a guy that come to some of these shows with a 80's Z28 wearing his AC/DC shirts, bandanna's and has a case full of 8 tracks! Car has t tops too!

My 74 Z28 has a Delco AM/FM mono, I dont have anything to play my 8-tracks in anymore. MY Corvette has a cassette player now.

JT56
03-24-2014, 11:20 AM
Nice...I remember the button up levi pants ect...Gained a few pounds since then!

chevynut
03-24-2014, 12:23 PM
Nice...I remember the button up levi pants ect...Gained a few pounds since then!

"remember"? I have three pairs (501's) that I wear now. :)

JT56
03-24-2014, 08:06 PM
"remember"? I have three pairs (501's) that I wear now. :)

I doubt I will ever where 27" waste line!!!

JT56
06-23-2014, 09:24 AM
Driving home and guy in Cobra Mustang with some pod gauges pulls next to me. Were going about a 25mph, I here him down shift and pull next to me, drop it...he hits it and I hear the supercharge whine, but only for a second...as my little SBChttp://www.trifive.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif Dart went by!!!!Look was priceless.

JT56
07-13-2014, 12:44 PM
Well my dad and little brother in town and were headed to local car hangout. Guy in a SRT turbo neon tries the BelAir. Drop a gear a pull'em bad. I let off and hear his turbo pop off. Would never drive up next to me. We were all laughing in the car! Then on our way home, two guys in a Mustang GT pull next to us. He hits the throttle and I see them laughing in the car...well dropped a gear and let him take off, he is about a car and half in front of me and I lower the boom...catchem and driving next to him...then I just leave him. We end up catching a light. He give the thumbs up and says its bad ass! Well I thought my fun was through, but the C5 vette pulls next to us and the girl passenger starts smiling...the guy just takes off...well I caught him and told him to slow it down. He downshifts and I'm in low about 20 mph...well we hammer it and the BelAir annihilates him! Slow down to see if he want more. He just goes about his merry way. I end up seeing the car at the gas station. I pull up next to him...I ask him...What were you thinking? The girl says, he isn't from here...I said just need to be careful who you play with, there are some pretty bad cars around here. Then he asks what do I have...told just a little small block lol!

chevynut
07-13-2014, 02:19 PM
Cool story Joey. You must have a badass car! :)

56-210Sedan
07-13-2014, 02:53 PM
I really enjoyed reading these post's this is a fun thread :cool: Oh and i want to do it LOL

JT56
07-13-2014, 03:26 PM

Not super fast, but a true 600hp that hooks, makes a huge difference :D

JT56
07-13-2014, 03:28 PM
I really enjoyed reading these post's this is a fun thread :cool: Oh and i want to do it LOL

Marty it is fun! It amazing most folks thinks cars are heavy and slow...we'll I am out to show them different lol!

NickP
07-13-2014, 06:35 PM

It runs quite well.

JT56
07-14-2014, 07:26 AM
It runs quite well.

Wait until its boosted! Rocket Man and still be a streetable car! Gotta love pump gas motors lol!

JT56
08-03-2014, 12:47 PM
Well yesterday went for some frozen yogurt and a little cruising. I am at a light turning right when this black mustang who is turning left from the opposite direction guns it as he goes by me. Well i catch em, pull up next to the two guys. He punches it and they start laughing. I couldn't help myself! I pulled up next to them in second gear and nail it...well pull him hard. We catch the light. They say they like my car then ask me if I can spin the tires! I told him mine wouldn't probably spin the tires and it wasn't that fast lol! Well he starts power braking his car and smoking up the tires. By this time there are cars all around us. I couldn't allow them to show up an old car! He was still smoking the tires and I told him when the light turn green to hit it! Anyway light turns green and I let him go first...well the front end goes up and the next thing he heard was the sound of a 427 sbc passing him up! No contest. I passed him with ease and held my arm out the window, ;like where you at? At the next light folks were giving me the thumbs up...anyway he stayed behind me for the next couple of miles...Such fun!

55mike
08-03-2014, 05:04 PM
Welp... I have one from my high school years in Bend Oregon, circa 1973-4. I had a pretty bad 67 GTO. 400, 4 speed, Crane "Fireball" cam.. 4:11's... I figured I was the bad boy of town. Then I met up with a Marina Blue 66 Chevelle SS396. I have no idea what this guy had in that BB, but, I can tell you this pimple face kid got his DOORS BLOWN OFF. Later I installed a Tri-power off a '65 GTO and I fixed the stock Delco distributor with a really trick (hey, this is the early 70's) dual point distributor from NAPA auto.. These two things actually made a significant difference for the Goat.. I never found that Chevelle again, but, I put a major hurt'n on a 70(?) Super Bee with the big air-grabber hood.

JT56
08-03-2014, 07:40 PM
Good story Mike, keep em coming!

rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017
08-04-2014, 09:49 AM
Thanks for the warning JT. I know what 56 belair not to mess with in DFW lol. You ever take it to the track? If so what has she run?
This thread would be better with some video.
Rocky

JT56
08-04-2014, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the warning JT. I know what 56 belair not to mess with in DFW lol. You ever take it to the track? If so what has she run?
This thread would be better with some video.
Rocky

Yes I did take it to Denton a few weeks ago...I N/T it, but its in low 7's without boost. My goal with the Procharger is between 6.0 to 6.5 in the 1/8! Should be capable of doing that. I really dont look to mess with the old cars, unless they ask for it. Pretty much the new car guys.

JT56
03-30-2015, 09:06 AM
Well the track was closed yesterday so decided to take the BelAir to a car show and hang with some buddies. So I am driving on Interstate 30 in the far right lane going about 60 when this guy in a new Challenger with a Hemi pulls next to me and revs the motor and just smiles. Well I shook my head and said he didn't want any...guess what he revs the motor again. Closest cars were about 1/2 mile from us... Needless to say I dropped her out of OD and pulled up next to him and counted 1, 2, 3 I let him take the hit and dropped the hammer. Let just say double digits of ProCharger boost and a shot of water/meth injection to cool the charge...he was a small image in the mirror. I slowed down for him but he never came up. So I guess a guy that was behind us in a new camaro saw the smoke...well I see him pulling hard to catch up to me. He pulls next to me. I guess to show me the SS badges on his car lol. I guess he thinks he wants some. He smiles and gives the 3 honks! Then its by by baby! I slow down and he comes next to me and say WOW! I bet he is either going to spend more money to make it fast or be a little humble around these old "Field Cars".

chevynut
03-30-2015, 10:13 AM
Awesome JT!

JT56
03-30-2015, 07:34 PM
Awesome JT!

Worth all the time and money building it for sure! If you ever around Dallas I will take you for a spin!

JT56
05-11-2015, 09:24 PM
Well I upgraded to forged yokes (1350) with solid u joints. I friend came over tonight and wanted a ride, so off we went. While I was out I spotted a newer mustang he kinda hit the throttle at us so thought I would play...I asked him you wanna head out to the highway to have some fun. He was like sure. Well were out on a toll road with no traffic around and I am in low going about 15mph. I let him take the hit and he is about a car in front of me! I close the gap pretty quick and and continue to pull on him. I hit the rev limiter on a couple of shifts but still stayed in front. I was happy I beat him, but I though, I should have pulled him by 4 or 5 cars. Well come to find out...its a 2011 mustang with a ProCharger putting 684 to the tire! Dang that is why I wasn't bus length him! Super nice guy, told me the car was sponsored by ProCharger and was at Sema. Good times for the old shoebox...especially with an extra 200 pounds in her!

Rthur
06-23-2015, 09:57 AM
Well probably not as fast as most I have a 67 nova. It is marina blue with centerlines and ss badges. It wears the 327 emblems I bought it with and is a decent sleeper. Small sun tach on the dash, nothing to alarm any street racers. A while back we built a 406. Fairly tame 9.5 compression afr heads and a comp street roller cam. It dynoed 525hp/515ftlbs.
During a recent car cruise in the local city we were caught next to a mid eighties malibu, wheelie bars narrowed rear end prostreet hood scoop battery cutoff on the trunk. All of the ear marks of a drag car on the road. I don't think he could believe it when he couldn't get away from the little nova. Not really a clear winner as we ran out of road. I've won my fair share of races but I remember this one the best.

R

JT56
06-23-2015, 11:16 AM
Well probably not as fast as most I have a 67 nova. It is marina blue with centerlines and ss badges. It wears the 327 emblems I bought it with and is a decent sleeper. Small sun tach on the dash, nothing to alarm any street racers. A while back we built a 406. Fairly tame 9.5 compression afr heads and a comp street roller cam. It dynoed 525hp/515ftlbs.
During a recent car cruise in the local city we were caught next to a mid eighties malibu, wheelie bars narrowed rear end prostreet hood scoop battery cutoff on the trunk. All of the ear marks of a drag car on the road. I don't think he could believe it when he couldn't get away from the little nova. Not really a clear winner as we ran out of road. I've won my fair share of races but I remember this one the best.

R
R thanks for the comments...I like the look from the race car guys when they dont see it coming from a street car. I bet your car can but a "butt hurt" on a whole lot of cars on the road.

JT56
07-07-2015, 08:42 AM
Well this past weekend a couple of my buddies sent out a text saying, " the big blocks were ready and wanted to know if the little blocks were ready. One drives a 69 big tire chevelle with a 555 cid and other has a 496 with AFR heads, roller cam ect...(spent $14K). Let me say the "little block" is 2-0!

JT56
10-07-2016, 10:52 AM
Well a few months ago, me and a buddy was leaving a hang out late a night. Its about 11:00pm and were cruising on a toll road minding our business. Im in front and I see this mustang jacking with my buddy! Well he comes up to me next revving that GT up! I drop the hammer on him and the sound or the S/C whine and he is a distant memory! I slowed down but he kept his distance...Fast forward to this last weekend. This young man comes up to me with his two buddies and says, "Do you remember me"? I didn't but then he started recanting the story. He was like that car was sooo loud and fast! His buddy was like he is always messing with people but he picked the wrong car!!!

JT56
10-12-2016, 08:28 AM
Not a smoke story, but this has got to be one of the funniest ones!!!

So driving around and was needing to fill up. So when I was pulling up to this gas station I see a guy with a GTR filling up...and he has a crowd around his car. You could tell he was enjoying the attention. Here I come thumping along and my buddy's like whap the throttle before you kill it so they can hear the blowoff valve. So I did! All of sudden the GTR guys crowd comes over to the old Field Car! Talk about loosing your erection lol!! Then one of the crowd guy's asks me if my car has got a "Big Block 350 in it"http://www.trifive.com/forums/images/smilies/sign0020.gif Well didn't want to embarrass him so I said "Yeah". I was hoping the GTR guy was going to smart off...but he didn't!

10-12-2016, 11:19 AM
LIKE^^^^^!!!!

JT56
10-13-2016, 08:42 AM
Moments like that make it all worth it!!

JT56
10-18-2016, 06:59 AM
Another funny one....

So the local trade school is having a benefit car show and a couple of us like to support good things. Anyway probably 800 cars there. Remind you most are late model stuff. Anyway, a couple of us old school guys are chilling out in our chairs just people watching! Anyway, this group comes by and they are checking out the "old" stuff. Since its not an LS or Fuel Injected this engine bay looks different. You know there is always one "expert". He is looking at my engine bay and say, " Look he has two alternators" Must have a bad azz sound system in there!http://www.trifive.com/forums/images/smilies/sign0020.gif

I was thinking yeah when you push the right pedal down its gets pretty loud. http://www.trifive.com/forums/images/smilies/flag6.gif

We just sat back and laughed to ourselves.

Joey

11-30-2016, 09:26 AM
I don't always race new dodge challengers home from work but when I do I teach them not to judge an old 60's muscle car by the cover lol. Not really a smoke story but I had never messed around with any of the hemi challengers before yesterdays commute home. We were just following traffic and stuck behind a slow person in the left lane. The all black challenger finally got an opening and hammered it and passed on the right so I just followed suit. After the pass there was a wide open road and he thought he would say good buy to the old school cutlass he was wrong lol. My car is built for speeds well above the 3 digit mark. 80 mph is like coasting with the 3.08 gears. I don't know if my ram air thru both front lights works but my car starts pulling really hard around the 3 digit mark. He gave up and slowed down to let me by I gave him the old thumbs up I thank he was a bit surprised and gave me one back lol.

JT56
12-01-2016, 06:52 AM
Yes Sir Mr Rockytopper! Thanks for adding to "The Story". You know he will be hesitate about doing that again...maybe not but he will respect our old stuff

JT56
12-11-2016, 02:49 PM
Ok riding around today...this guy in a Denali pulls up next to me at the light...I think it had a Superchips sticker on the back windshield. Anyway his wife rolls down the window and says nice car. I told him I was on my way to the grocery store. We start rolling along and he whomps the throttle, so guess he want to play...I drop it in 2nd and then he just takes off...Well drop the hammer and hit a gear and hurricane sound coming from the ProCharger it singing a tune. I drive by him like he was sitting still...I wait for him at the light and his wife is laughing and he says, "Just a grocery getter" I just smile and on my way. Next this young lady pulls up next to me and give me the thumbs up and smiles!!!

12-11-2016, 04:13 PM
Another great one JT!!!

JT56
12-12-2016, 08:40 PM
Another great one JT!!!

Wasn't like it was stiff competition lol! I really dont pick on people...these come self inflicted! Car down for mini tub job now...improvements

JT56
03-20-2017, 05:20 AM
So after a great day at Goodguys decided to get the car out and go to local hang out. Anyway, so I'm cruising home and a buddy of mine is in front of me and all of sudden this new Challenger gets right on my tail. Were in the only turning lane so I guess he was in a hurry or something. The good thing is once your make the left its a real nice straight spot!!!lol. Its is actually one of my "hit" spots...Light goes green and I just knew this person has been watching that old Dodge Predators tv commerial and wanted to bully his way on this old field car!!! Well i drop and gear and make the left turn, next thing is the guys jumps to my right and gets next to me and gets the drop on me!! Wish he had told me we were racing but that is what usually happens. Anyway, he is a good car out in front of me before i drop the hammer! The sound of air rushing into the Procharger and the front end coming up with that new fat tire! Well I flew past him like he was tied to a stump!!! I slow down and wait for him and he wont even come close. My buddy could see the action from his rear mirror and sent me a voice text that said LOL. So I had to go straight and he was turning right...he wouldnt even look at me. Kinda like I know there is a monster there, but if I dont look its not there!!!!

Check out the video. He came across a monster and it was a Trifive! Enjoy guys and add to them!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylYd5kh-it8

MP&C
03-20-2017, 05:49 AM
Awesome. Gotta love it! JT, you need to hide some cameras on your 56..

03-20-2017, 06:53 AM
Great one. Sorry I missed ya this weekend. We were there Friday afternoon and very short time Satuday morning left at 10am.
Rocky

JT56
03-20-2017, 08:10 AM
Yeah Robert hidden ones would be good, but then again having evidence out on the web could be bad for ya with the cops and insurance...this is all in my mind lol!

JT56
03-20-2017, 08:11 AM
Me too...always next time. Planning on going to the Longstar Roundup in Austin and coming back to the Reliable Chevy one on Sunday. Maybe catch you there?

JT56
07-06-2017, 09:21 AM
With Work and Weather, its been a while since my last post. Over the holiday weekend got a chance to take the 56 out for a spin. What do you know, pull up to a light and next to me is a 5.9 liter Dodge Dakota. Really didn't think much of it, so when the light turned green eased in the throttle and away we go. Next thing I know I here this loud noise and that little truck zooming past me. Good thing we were on a good stretch of road...I dropped a gear and mashed the loud peddle! With 16psi of boost on tap and my little led light hit me up with some Water/Methon tap...I flew by this clown in no time! I stayed in it just to let him know what he "awoke"!! Anyway I waiting on him at the next light and he pull up..."Man that thing has got some horsepower". I smiled and gave him the peace sign and down the road I went. I hope everyone enjoyed the 4th and did something trifive related. Enjoy. Keep them coming!!!

JT56
09-18-2017, 10:28 AM
Ok, since the mini-tub and bigger tires, not too many takers these days. However, this past Sunday...cruising around, these two 20 year old something guys are out in a mustang. I did notice it had some stickers on the wind shied so it must be fast lol! He passes me up and whopped the throttle at me. Well due to gas shortage I was running on 87 octane and my tank was low too. I found a gas station with some 93 and low an behold the dudes in the mustang stopped too! Got a full tank of petro(not the real good stuff) but way safer than 87! So these guys drive by to take a peek at the car. Driver whops the throttle and the passenger is taking a video. So I hop in and fortunately they got delayed due some traffic. I pull up behind them and we both get on road. I'm a little behind them and whops the throttle again and passenger is filming!!! We hit a light and I ask them, " How much of a head start do you need" lol. The look on both their faces was like, "What". Anyway lights green and still some traffic, but good enough for a 1-2 shift. He leaves pretty hard and I just stay right at his rear bumper...The guys is filming like, where ahead...well then I decided his dream needed to end! Mashed the loud peddle and instant boost and second gear. My car isn't really that loud cruising around, but under acceleration its ALIVE! The look on the guy filming face was priceless...Like WTH!!!! Any way we get stopped at the next light and they ask, "What do you have in that thing"...A little small block chevy...

BamaNomad
09-18-2017, 10:45 AM
:) :) you should get a copy of his video for your own *enjoyment*... :) and let us have a peek at it too~ :)

MP&C
09-18-2017, 11:57 AM
Now to find that video on youtube....

JT56
09-18-2017, 12:26 PM
Now to find that video on youtube....

I have some videos on my phone...does this site use taptalk?

chevynut
09-18-2017, 12:27 PM
I hope there's no TX cops here. LOL! :D

NickP
09-18-2017, 12:56 PM
I have some videos on my phone...does this site use taptalk?
nope

JT56
09-18-2017, 06:23 PM
I hope there's no TX cops here. LOL! :D

Yeah dont need those problems.