PDA

View Full Version : headers 55 wagon

dave55
03-17-2014, 06:19 AM
I have a 55 2door wagon.Engine is in stock location with classic chevy side mount conversion kit and trans mount kit. 4 speed trans. Stock steering box. If I remove the old bell housing mounts it would open up a ton of room. Also plan on hydraulic throwout bearing kit, so no clutch linkage. Any body know of an off the shelf header that would fit nicely in all this extra space. Engine is a 355" with alum chevy heads making about 410hp. I would like something that tucks up in for better ground clearance.

chevynut
03-17-2014, 01:58 PM
Welcome to the site, Dave. I'm more familiar with BBCs than SBCs, so hopefully someone else can give you some advice. How about some pics of that wagon?

markm
03-17-2014, 03:59 PM
I have headers on my BBC in my 55 with PS and no issues, have not had headers on my 56 with SBC since the mid 70s and I dont remember tem very well.

Rick_L
03-17-2014, 04:02 PM
The Earle Williams headers require the original frame brackets for the bellhousing mounts to be removed. This gives you a bunch of ground clearance for a lowered car. They also clear stock clutch linkage, aftermarket and conversion power steering boxes, and work with factory angle plug heads. Hooker 2112 and Dougs D353 are similar. These are all full length headers.

Maddog
03-17-2014, 05:47 PM
If you are not worried about maximum horsepower and are on some what of a budget the Patriots fit well which are a 3/4 length.

dave55
03-17-2014, 06:11 PM
Thanks I will check them out.

asbicca
04-03-2014, 07:46 PM
I have a 55 2door wagon.Engine is in stock location with classic chevy side mount conversion kit and trans mount kit. 4 speed trans. Stock steering box. If I remove the old bell housing mounts it would open up a ton of room. Also plan on hydraulic throwout bearing kit, so no clutch linkage. Any body know of an off the shelf header that would fit nicely in all this extra space. Engine is a 355" with alum chevy heads making about 410hp. I would like something that tucks up in for better ground clearance.

D353 Dougs Headers owned by Pertronics (AKA Patriot Headers) Equal length long tube headers that tuck up above the frame for excellent ground clearance. 16 gauge tubing and 3/8" flanges, they are virtually identical to Earle Williams SBC Headers.

chevynut
04-04-2014, 08:23 PM
I didn't know Doug's Headers was the same as Patriot Headers. Interesting.