PDA

View Full Version : MadMooks' Update

MadMooks
03-20-2014, 01:01 PM
Hi Guys, thought I would update you on a few things we have been working on.

Got these samples in today of the tailgate cable ovals/cups. The reproductions currently on the market are chromed steel. Ours are made from 304 stainless. The ovals are lazer cut and the cups are machined. we made the decision to machine the cups, as opposed to stamping like the others, because I noticed on our 57 nomad, the slot in the cup is starting to flare open from years of use. Machining them makes the side wall of the cup a lot thicker and less likely to flare open, basically just a stronger piece which I wanted. Here are a few pictures after I polished.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj280/56madmook/cup7_zpsdd803180.jpg

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj280/56madmook/cup5_zps4361fa79.jpg

here is a picture of the inside of the cup...you can see how it looks like its on steroids LOL

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj280/56madmook/cup6_zpsf9f6f550.jpg

we have also been working on rear seat trim for the nomads/wagons. anyone who has purchased our cargo deck kit, or have seen it can expect the same quality with the trim. we have 5 pieces in stock so far. the 2 long pieces for the seat back, and one long piece and two sides for the seat bottom. basically all the straight pieces. we are working on the 6 corners at the moment and should have them by april/may. lots of odd shaped pieces in there, should be a fun process :tu

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj280/56madmook/rearseat_zpsa16bbee7.jpg

also side note for the wagon guys, we are hoping to offer a full cargo deck/inner tailgate kit for you guys. there are about 6 or so pieces that are different from the nomads. we have been asked a lot about them so after the rear seat is done we will dive into it. 9 or so pieces from the nomad deck work on the wagon, and 3 of the inner tailgate pieces ( including inner cover ) work on the tailgate.

thanks again for everyones continued support :tu

JT56
03-20-2014, 03:14 PM
I am not in the market for those, but they sure look good

MadMooks
03-20-2014, 03:36 PM
thanks JT, appreciate it!

chevynut
03-20-2014, 03:52 PM
Nice stuff, Mike, as usual. I'll be buying a pair of those "some day". LOL :)

To stamp those parts like the originals were made would have cost a lot in tooling, so you did the right thing by machining them. I don't know how big the market for them will be, and machining is obviously more expensive than stamping when you ignore the tooling cost. The good thing is they fit Nomads, Safaris, and wagons.

Do you find that the "original" guys buy your parts too, or do they prefer NOS or re-chromed stuff?

MadMooks
03-20-2014, 04:15 PM
Nice stuff, Mike, as usual. I'll be buying a pair of those "some day". LOL :)

To stamp those parts like the originals were made would have cost a lot in tooling, so you did the right thing by machining them. I don't know how big the market for them will be, and machining is obviously more expensive than stamping when you ignore the tooling cost. The good thing is they fit Nomads, Safaris, and wagons.

Do you find that the "original" guys buy your parts too, or do they prefer NOS or re-chromed stuff?

to be honest with you, the cost to make these wasn't a factor in determining which manufacturing method I wanted. I was pretty set on machining. the most important thing was quality and strength. I knew machining would give me the strongest product.

Actually a lot of the "original" type cars get our stuff. Cargo deck stainless is a big hit with the original type owners, as well as the gas struts. so I think it goes both ways. even with a bone stock original car, its hard to pass up on some of our parts that you just know will last a long time compared to the original stuff. ive had guys with original cars call me to buy our machined liftgate striker, because their factory potmetal piece broke off. if that happened to me, it would be pretty tough to put another potmetal piece back on there. the cable guides same deal, a few guys have told me they are on their 2nd and 3rd set because the cable wear was getting so bad. on the other hand, I know there are guys that wont buy the liftgate anti rattle because its a custom one piece design, as opposed to factory 3 piece. we started making them in bare steel so guys with original cars would paint them for a more factory look.

its actually really interesting what people do to their cars, the parts they choose and the overall theme. Pontiac safari guys are in that category of diehard original, they are pretty committed to keeping it close to factory. just recently I had a guy with a 56 , bone stock car, sweet safari, but then ordered my billet tailgate hinges and polished them lol . so you just never know what people will put on their cars and what they find cool. I love seeing factory rides with our custom stuff, it just means that our stuff is appealing to everyone, not just custom or modified.

chevynut
03-20-2014, 04:21 PM
we started making them in bare steel so guys with original cars would paint them for a more factory look.

It seems like I remember suggesting that some time ago. ;) Some guys don't like too much shiny stuff.

Again, great stuff and you have done a great job serving this market.

MadMooks
03-20-2014, 04:44 PM
You actually did suggest it!!!

Thanks again for your feedback , now finish the nomad so I can send you some stuff!

MadMooks
05-16-2014, 11:36 AM
ovals and cups now available :)

567chevys
05-16-2014, 06:02 PM
Hello Mike ,

Really some Nice Stuff !!
keep it up .

Sid

MadMooks
05-16-2014, 06:21 PM
Hello Mike ,

Really some Nice Stuff !!
keep it up .

Sid

Appreciate that Sid! thanks!

Rick_L
05-16-2014, 07:47 PM
You may make me buy a Nomad someday so I can have the good stuff!

MadMooks
05-17-2014, 07:45 AM
thanks Rick!