PDA

View Full Version : HELLO from Colorado!

chevynut
03-23-2012, 08:09 AM
I know I posted here last November but I don't see my thread anymore for some reason.

Anyhow, I'm from northern Colorado and have lived here almost all my life. I like it here with the exception of the masses of east and west coasters that have moved here in recent years, I guess to get to higher ground. LOL!!

I'm a mechanical engineer by profession and have worked for a large computer company for the past 35 years. I'll retire when they decide to get rid of me. :)

I own a 56 Nomad that I bought in 1973 for $500 after a 55 2-door sedan I bought was stolen by (I believe) the Kansas City Missouri police car theft ring. There's a story behind this that I won't go into right now, but I'm pretty certain the cops were involved in the theft. I had just finished the car after working on it for 2-3 years and it had a 67 Corvette 427, 4-speed, 4:11 gears, and a brand new lacquer paint job and interior. Never saw it again after only 3 days in KCMO.

My Nomad has been through a couple of previous build attempts, but it has never been on the road since I drove it home in 1973. A year or so after I bought it, I moved back to Colorado after finishing my schooling for my A&P Mechanics license in KCMO. My first plan was to build a gasser, so I built a new straight-axle frame for it....then scrapped that plan. Next I installed a C3 Corvette rearend, and a stock front with a disc brake conversion that I built myself (kits weren't available then). A divorce caused me to stop on the car in 1982 or so, and it went into storage for 20 years. I started building it again after I got divorced a second time. LOL!

The current build is going well and close to completion. It's a lot more extensive than I planned, but I'm happy with it even though it's taken me 9 years to get this far. It has a GMPP Ramjet 502 with a 1000 CFM throttle body and 42 lb/hr injectors controlled by a Holley Commander 950, Keisler Engineering Viper T56 6-speed manual transmission, a chassis I built myself with early '90's C4 Corvette front and rear, using a Dana 44 differential and Aldan coilovers. The body is stock externally, but has new floors, 4" tubs, all new custom under-hood sheetmetal, new quarters and custom outer wheelwells, and smoothie bumpers that I fabricated. There's a lot of build pics in my Picturetrail link below.

The car is close to being ready for paint, and the interior will be leather with Cadillac Eldorado buckets and a custom rear seat with full-length console.

Aside from cars, I also am an avid archer and bowhunter, sometimes resorting to hunting with a rifle. I used to shoot tournament archery in the late '90's and did very well at that but don't compete much anymore. I love the challenge and solitude of bowhunting much more than rifle hunting, but sometimes you need more range to put meat in the freezer or to get a trophy now and then. I've done pretty well with my bow, having shot deer, elk, bears, hogs, a mountain goat, antelope, armadillo, and some small game. I've missed my share of them too. :) There are a few hunting pics in my Picturetrail "misc stuff" album.

I also do some fabrication work on the side with my oldest son. We build C4 Corvette conversion chassis for Tri5s (see the classifieds), as well as other custom products for these cars. I'm in the process of trying to get a small business started, but I have a lot going on so it's taking some time.

I'm looking forward to helping make Trifivechevys.com the best Tri5 site on the internet!

56-210Sedan
03-23-2012, 08:18 AM
Hello and Welcome Laszlo ;)

misuraco
03-23-2012, 03:45 PM
Welcome to the site.