PDA

View Full Version : tire question

luthera66
04-01-2014, 08:28 AM
can anyone tell me what the max size tire i can use on the front and backof my 55 chev that is in stoc format, i am changing from 14" wheels to 15" , any help will be very much appreciated

tom

567chevys
04-01-2014, 08:36 AM
Hi Tom

Go up to the top tool Bar and click on Calulators , There is front and rear tire charts there .

Thanks Sid

JT56
04-01-2014, 10:16 AM
can anyone tell me what the max size tire i can use on the front and backof my 55 chev that is in stoc format, i am changing from 14" wheels to 15" , any help will be very much appreciated

tom

Tom use the calculator as Sid suggested. However, just helped DNelson put a 275 under his 55. He might chim in, but stock rearend, with 4.5 BS. Had to bend the inner lip to get them to fit. 56 and 57 have a little more wiggle room.

chevynut
04-01-2014, 10:57 AM
To make it simple, in the rear the maximum tire is a 275, but whether it fits depends on the wheel width and backspacing. The calculator will help if you know the backspacing.

In the front it gets a little more complicated due to turning clearances to the fender and frame. How big do you want in front? Are you keeping the drum brakes?

luthera66
04-01-2014, 11:11 AM
have disc brakes on front, want to use 15x8 cragars, just want tire to not rub

chevynut
04-01-2014, 11:28 AM
Do your disc brakes make the front mounting surface wider than stock? Is your car lowered at all in front? What's the backspacing on the Cragars? Are you wanting to use 15x8 on both front and rear?

luthera66
04-02-2014, 06:05 PM
Do your disc brakes make the front mounting surface wider than stock? Is your car lowered at all in front? What's the backspacing on the Cragars? Are you wanting to use 15x8 on both front and rear?

i dont know about the front mounting surface, the disc brakes are off of a 70's camaro,, car is NOT lowered, i think the backspacing is 4 3/4" ,, and i have 4 new wheels to use, all same size 15x8

Rick_L
04-02-2014, 06:14 PM
If you have the typical disc brake kit - it moves the wheel mounting surfaces out 7/8" from stock on each side. If that's what you have, there is almost no way that an 8" wheel of any backspacing is going to work, even if not lowered. Certainly not with the typical tire you'd use with an 8" rim, and certainly not if the car is lowered at all.

If you're not sure what brake package you have, you might want to post a photo.

luthera66
04-02-2014, 07:12 PM
wanna buy a couple of wheels?

chevynut
04-02-2014, 08:05 PM
This is where guys get into trouble. You stated your car was "in stock format" when in reality it's not stock in front. The disc brakes make a big difference, unless you have a "zero-offset" brake kit which isn't really zero-offset. We had to dig the information out of you to be able to help. ;-)

Sounds like your rearend is all stock, with stock springs, axle, brakes and tubs. So the advice you've been given is good.

Going a little further with it, you say you have an 8" wheel with a 4.75" backspace which is a +1/4" offset. If you went with a 275 tire which is nominally 10.8", the outside of the tires would be at 70.3" width, and the inside at 48.7". The springs are 48" wide outside so you only have about .35" clearance to the springs, but you should have about .6" clearance to the fenderwell lips. I'd say they're about perfect.

In front I can't say unless we know your exact brake setup. Your wheels are pretty wide you're going to have to go with a fairly wide tire, a 225 or larger imo. I'm not willing to say they won't work yet, without more info. They would work on a stock drum brake setup, I believe.

luthera66
04-03-2014, 01:57 PM
thanks for your help, i went to a tire shop today and physically tried on several tires with the "new" wheels, and the one that fit on the front the best was the 205/65/15..., it looked like a pretty good fit, and i drove it doing 2 very tight u-turns, and all went well....no rubbing!! so now it is on to the hunt for the "right" tire.....

thanks again, tom