PDA

View Full Version : New Cars/Trucks with Fat Tires

JT56
04-09-2014, 04:57 AM
I have often looked at the new muscle cars and wondered why some of the bolt on options doesn't include narrowed rear ends. Ok, lets look at the dodge challenger. Looks like a nice car, but looking from behind, the tires are 'way" to small. Now we can purchase superchargers ect...for more power, but wouldnt it be cool if the cars were designed with plenty of room in the wheel tubs to accept larger tires! Lets say a buyer could buy a narrowed rear end option from the factory? IDK,

NickP
04-09-2014, 05:33 AM
But it's a Dodge............................................. .................................................. ...

JT56
04-09-2014, 07:38 AM
But it's a Dodge............................................. .................................................. ...

Well same could be said for GM and Ferd!

NickP
04-09-2014, 08:47 AM
No, they would be................................................ .................................................. .................................................. .......................................... GM and FERD, not DODGE. Silly boy.

carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)
04-10-2014, 05:47 AM
makes sense, that's why they don't do it.

JT56
04-10-2014, 08:29 AM
Just imagine not having to cut and weld tubs ect...Just being able to buy a narrowed rear end with some new wheels

aiza55
04-30-2014, 12:36 AM
Well, to each his own, so long as the person is happy with a vehicle (http://www.gari.pk/) that looks red-neck trashy if the wheels are too big, rides like an old buckboard because of the super low profile tires, and wears out brakes and suspension parts early because of the unsprung weight greater than any of the parts were designed for.

markm
04-30-2014, 06:23 AM
Well, to each his own, so long as the person is happy with a vehicle (http://www.gari.pk/) that looks red-neck trashy if the wheels are too big, rides like an old buckboard because of the super low profile tires, and wears out brakes and suspension parts early because of the unsprung weight greater than any of the parts were designed for.

I agree with most of this just not sure about the red neck part.

chevynut
04-30-2014, 07:36 AM
"Redneck"? I think he meant "pimped". :)

Big wheels and low profile tires are the trend in new cars and resto-mods alike, but some people still prefer the old-school look. The fact is, new cars have bigger wheels for a reason.....better performance. Sure low profile tires are stiffer, causing some increase in ride roughness, but that's what performance suspensions and tires do. With the larger wheels the brakes are typically larger and more effective, and don't wear out any worse than small brakes. And the unsprung weight argument allegedly wearing out parts is bogus imo.

If you like big fat balloon-looking tires then go with them. I prefer wheels larger than 15", and modern-looking low-profile performance tires. I agree that a 22" wheel with 2" of rubber looks weird on any car, and probably rides like crap.

chevynut
04-30-2014, 07:48 AM
I have often looked at the new muscle cars and wondered why some of the bolt on options doesn't include narrowed rear ends. Ok, lets look at the dodge challenger. Looks like a nice car, but looking from behind, the tires are 'way" to small. Now we can purchase superchargers ect...for more power, but wouldnt it be cool if the cars were designed with plenty of room in the wheel tubs to accept larger tires! Lets say a buyer could buy a narrowed rear end option from the factory? IDK,

I'm not sure I understand why wide tires have to go with narrowed rearends. If you want a deep-dish wheel, yes you need to narrow the rearend to get that look. One problem I see is spring placement. To install a narrowed rearend you may need to move springs inboard, depending on what type of suspension the car has. How do you narrow this Camaro rearend?

http://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam/Chevrolet/northamerica/usa/nscwebsite/en/Home/Vehicles/Cars/2013%20Camaro%20ZL1/Model%20Overview/01_images/2013-camaro-zl1-model-overview-braking-and-handling-cnt-well-1-980x316-02.jpg

I can understand wanting bigger factory tubs for larger tires but I think some muscle cars already allow for that. The Camaros have pretty big factory tires. The ZL-1 uses 11" rear wheels with a 305 tire, so the tub is already pretty big. It may handle an even bigger tire. I don't think the ZL-1 has unique tubs. How big do you want? :)

rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017
05-01-2014, 06:55 AM
Just imagine not having to cut and weld tubs ect...Just being able to buy a narrowed rear end with some new wheels

Cutting tubs is easy these days. There made of plastic lol...

NickP
05-01-2014, 08:00 AM
I'm not sure I understand why wide tires have to go with narrowed rearends. If you want a deep-dish wheel, yes you need to narrow the rearend to get that look. One problem I see is spring placement. To install a narrowed rearend you may need to move springs inboard, depending on what type of suspension the car has. How do you narrow this Camaro rearend?

http://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam/Chevrolet/northamerica/usa/nscwebsite/en/Home/Vehicles/Cars/2013%20Camaro%20ZL1/Model%20Overview/01_images/2013-camaro-zl1-model-overview-braking-and-handling-cnt-well-1-980x316-02.jpg

I can understand wanting bigger factory tubs for larger tires but I think some muscle cars already allow for that. The Camaros have pretty big factory tires. The ZL-1 uses 11" rear wheels with a 305 tire, so the tub is already pretty big. It may handle an even bigger tire. I don't think the ZL-1 has unique tubs. How big do you want? :)

Big is better? Not in all cases. Granted, the metalurgy today as compared to days past is a whole lot better however as the tire size increases the load on the components also increases. It's the rule of three. Increase/modify one thing, modify three others - never ending.

JT56
05-02-2014, 07:08 AM

I friend has a RT Challenger and looks ok from the side, but get behind it...looks wimpy!