PDA

View Full Version : Sealant for aluminum caliper plug?

vabeach56wagon
04-19-2014, 02:24 PM
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL15/632342/1203187/409251335.jpg

In photo above, see the allen headed plug to the right. It is not a pipe thread. When I removed it on each caliper to be sure the caliper passages were clear, I had to break it loose with some effort. I have no idea what SSBC used to seal and lock it to the threads in the aluminum caliper.

Anybody know of a sealant impervious to brake fluid which can be used on these plugs? They do not seat in the fluid cavity beneath them.

paul

NickP
04-19-2014, 03:35 PM
Was there any residue? Color, blue, red or green? I have no idea if Loc-Tite is adversly affected but that would be my guess.

Rick_L
04-20-2014, 09:04 AM
Is the remaining port the one where the hose goes?

On another site it was suggested to use a bolt of the same size as a banjo bolt, along with a copper washer like you'd use with a banjo bolt. I think that might be a better approach than sealer on a straight thread plug.

567chevys
04-20-2014, 09:22 AM
I have seen guys use Loctite 55 they all said good stuff !!

Sid

vabeach56wagon
04-20-2014, 11:42 AM
Is the remaining port the one where the hose goes?

On another site it was suggested to use a bolt of the same size as a banjo bolt, along with a copper washer like you'd use with a banjo bolt. I think that might be a better approach than sealer on a straight thread plug.

Yes, the other port is for the banjo bolt. However, the plugged port is smaller than the banjo port. Tapped to same dimension as the bleeders.

Heads of banjo = 5/8"; bleeders are 10mm. I haven't yet determined if metric threads or good ol' Murican.

paul

Rick_L
04-20-2014, 03:56 PM
Whatever the thread, the copper washer under a bolt head might be better insurance that just sealer.