PDA

View Full Version : 55-57 Kick panel retainers

MP&C
04-21-2014, 07:20 PM
Welds to the toe pan, 19 gauge cold rolled steel, tabs punched like originals.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y167/rmccartney/Metalworking/IMG_8560.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y167/rmccartney/Metalworking/IMG_8564.jpg

$25 per pair and $6 shipping to US. Cash, check, or USPS money order.

chevynut
04-21-2014, 08:57 PM
Do I need those? I have nothing on my floor and didn't know anything went there. Got a pic of where they go?

MP&C
04-22-2014, 03:46 AM
They install here on the toe pan....

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y167/rmccartney/1955%20Chevy%20Wagon%20Restoration/a7acd343.jpg

With all the structural members to work around, there isn't much there to attach kick panels to other than the vent ring. I believe the rubber floor mat would slide under the tabs on the retainer, and the "kick-up" of the tabs keeps the kick panels in tight at the bottom without the use of screws.

NickP
04-22-2014, 05:43 AM
WADR, those look like they are in wrong. The tab side goes up and the kick panel is retained by the two tabs. I'll shoot you a pic today of the 57 and its original units.

chevynut
04-22-2014, 05:54 AM
Hmmm, interesting, I looked at my 56sedan and it has those pieces. It looks like the tabs are bent up and the kick panel actually goes in between the tabs and the upright leg.

A 56 is quite a bit different in that area. It also has another small piece that apparently holds the kick panel out. Here's a couple pics of my 56 sedan. The floor is all original.

MP&C
04-22-2014, 06:18 AM
Laszlo, I think the floor to A-pillar brace is a standard item on 55's, and they figured afterward the body was fine without it, hence it gone on your 56. I do believe they continued it's use on the convertible though.

Nick, I'd be curious to see that, it may be a 57 thing only or that car went through the assy line on Friday. :p

All the ones I have ever seen, both in pictures and in person, have used the chamfered flange in the vertical position, and the tab punched flange spot welded to the toe panel.. But I don't recall if any were of 57 variety.. It may be that the tabs are intended to be bent up after installation of the kick panel, but again, I have never seen them in that configuration. I guess it's also possible someone bent yours up to hold better???? Is it the same on your 55?

chevynut
04-22-2014, 07:37 AM
Robert, here's a pic I just took of my 56 sedan. The tapered side does go up, and it's not clear if the tabs are supposed to be bent up or not. What would they hold down? The felt? I have another original 56 4-door that I could check out.

NickP
04-22-2014, 07:38 AM
Laszlo, I think the floor to A-pillar brace is a standard item on 55's, and they figured afterward the body was fine without it, hence it gone on your 56. I do believe they continued it's use on the convertible though.

Nick, I'd be curious to see that, it may be a 57 thing only or that car went through the assy line on Friday. :p

All the ones I have ever seen, both in pictures and in person, have used the chamfered flange in the vertical position, and the tab punched flange spot welded to the toe panel.. But I don't recall if any were of 57 variety.. It may be that the tabs are intended to be bent up after installation of the kick panel, but again, I have never seen them in that configuration. I guess it's also possible someone bent yours up to hold better???? Is it the same on your 55?

Here is a pic of Geoff's 55 Vert. Tabs are in the vertical section but do have tapered ends. Will go take a pic of 57.
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1600/2283636/23241685/384215286.jpg

NickP
04-22-2014, 07:55 AM
57 2 Door HT

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1600/2283636/24510297/409266877.jpg

NickP
04-22-2014, 07:56 AM
They hold the bottom of the kick panel in place.

5Clint7
04-22-2014, 08:15 AM
They look good, except you welded them in wrong.

MP&C
04-22-2014, 08:48 AM
They look good, except you welded them in wrong.

When you say "wrong", I guess the factory used spot welds, and I used plug welds, not many have the correct machine to duplicate the factory spot welds, so sue me..

If you are referring to positioning in any form, I hardly think so. They went back in the exact same spot and orientation as the originals that came out. The tooling made to duplicate the punched holes was taken from that same factory original.

NickP
04-22-2014, 10:09 AM
When you say "wrong", I guess the factory used spot welds, and I used plug welds, not many have the correct machine to duplicate the factory spot welds, so sue me..

If you are referring to positioning in any form, I hardly think so. They went back in the exact same spot and orientation as the originals that came out. The tooling made to duplicate the punched holes was taken from that same factory original.

So it would appear that the position/orientation may have been in both directions or, the two unmolested samples I provided were certainly a Friday build. I apologize if I struck a nerve Robert. I meant no harm nor was it my intent to start an arguement or to have you be involved in a law suite.

chevynut
04-22-2014, 10:14 AM
This isn't about orientation, guys. It's about design of the part. You can clearly see that in EVERY original use of the part the tab is cut out of the side that goes against the floor. So the '57 orientation Nick posted isn't "wrong", it's just a different design.

You can also see that Robert's is oriented exactly the same as the one in my original 56 floor. Again, it's not "wrong", it's a different design.

So clearly they changed the design slightly from 55 to 56, by adding some holes, and again in 57 by putting the taper on the bottom leg. However, Robert's part will work in any year car if a person isn't totally nitpicky about everything being perfectly as original.

MP&C
04-22-2014, 10:43 AM
No nerves struck guys, Clint had suggested I welded it in wrong, and they're in the exact locations of the originals.

Rick_L
04-22-2014, 10:56 AM
I'm thinking that the punched tabs have nothing to do with the kick panel, it simply drops in outboard of the brace, and the brace just keeps it from moving inward.

My guess is the tabs were tooling holes for forming the part. Not sure why that was thought to be necessary though.

5Clint7
04-22-2014, 11:12 AM
My tabs point up. I guess I just have a different design.
http://www.trifivechevys.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3046&d=1398190130

chevynut
04-22-2014, 11:46 AM
My tabs point up. I guess I just have a different design.

Same tab design, the tabs are just bent up like the ones in the pics Nick and I posted.

NickP
04-22-2014, 12:34 PM
I'm thinking that the punched tabs have nothing to do with the kick panel, it simply drops in outboard of the brace, and the brace just keeps it from moving inward.

My guess is the tabs were tooling holes for forming the part. Not sure why that was thought to be necessary though.

Maybe so. All I know is that on the last half dozen trifives (5 @ 55 and one at 57) the pictures I took and showed here were unmolested and the kick panels were held in place by tha backside long section and the two tabs held it from going into the cab. It does look as though there were several designs though. Interesting discussion.

MP&C
04-22-2014, 01:02 PM
Clint, nice interior. Were yours that way from the factory or did they get bent up when the new parts went in? It appears the ones with the chamfered vertical flange were used on the 55 and 56, looks like the 57 had those details changed slightly to eliminate the "chamfer" cut.

I've always thought along the same lines as Rick discussed, the flange kept the kick panel from going in toward the outer wall, the slight bump up in the tab kept the bottom of the panel against the flange. More of a pain to make them, but less screws needing installation on the assy line. Could also have been a case of leaving them alone if the kick panel stayed where it should, and bend them up if the kick panel needed more restraint. I'll have to look at my BIL's 56 survivor next time I'm over there, I know that's got the original interior in it.

5Clint7
04-22-2014, 01:12 PM
I've had the car for 52 years. They have never been changed. The cardboard goes between the tabs and the flange. The flange keeps the cardboard from going outboard and the tabs keeps it from coming inboard. I've had it since 1962.

Rick_L
04-22-2014, 07:15 PM
I just looked at my car. The parts look just like MP&C's repros. The tabs on mine have never been bent up. Hence my comments on them not being used. But used on others. Looks like the 57 is the same except that the taper on the vertical leg is at a steeper angle.

My thought is that in the real world that the carpet and padding under it will keep the kick panel in place from moving inboard. And in the modified world, you'll need a small gap between your Dynamat/clone and the part, that' will capture the kick panel. Something to think about as you apply the sound deadener/insulation.

NickP
04-24-2014, 11:33 AM
As an addendum to this really good conversation, today 5Clint7 posted a manual that may just may shed some light upon the subject.

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/fisher/1955A/images/55ftim451.jpg

Rick_L
04-24-2014, 11:47 AM
Well there we have it.

Should I send mine back to Janesvile to have the tabs bent up?

Isn't it odd how the truth is multi-faceted even on these relatively simple cars?

MP&C
04-24-2014, 12:05 PM
I don't think the workers on the assy line got the memo until about late 56- 57 or so.. Would the ones missed be covered under warranty? :D

Item 7 in the picture above indicates to refer to page 459, which was not included. Perhaps this gave instruction to bend up the tabs after installation of the kick panel??

NickP
04-24-2014, 01:17 PM
Well there we have it.

Should I send mine back to Janesvile to have the tabs bent up?

Isn't it odd how the truth is multi-faceted even on these relatively simple cars?

Truth persuades by teaching, but does not teach by persuading.
Adversus Valentinianos
Carthaginian church father (160 AD - 230
AD)

MP&C
08-20-2014, 09:00 AM
Sold out of the original run, and have been getting requests for more of the kick panel retainers. I made up another batch last night and have 14 sets ready to go, get them while they're hot. Welds to the toe pan, made of 19 gauge cold rolled steel, tabs punched as per originals. Price is $25 per pair plus $6 shipping to US. Cash, check, USPS money order.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y167/rmccartney/Metalworking/IMG_20140819_203240375.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y167/rmccartney/Metalworking/IMG_20140819_203339886.jpg

Spoke to Mikey Domoracki about the tab up or straight out discussion. He stated that once the kick panel was installed on the assembly line the two tabs are bent up to hold the bottom of the kick panel in place. I've seen quite a few examples in the cars, especially 55's, where some of the tabs were never bent up, so there may have been lots of Fridays on the assembly line in 55.

Keep in mind the bottom of the tabs will be visible after bending upward to hold the kick panel, so you may want to get some primer paint on them prior to welding in place.

MP&C
08-22-2014, 04:17 AM
With the orders taken I have about 8 sets left. These are priced at approx. half what you'll see on any online store, so if you have this repair to do you may as well save some money and use a quality built piece..

MP&C
09-15-2014, 06:00 PM
Still a few sets left, get yours before they're gone!

MP&C
09-30-2014, 07:23 PM
Anyone else need any kick panel retainers?