PDA

View Full Version : Raingear

markm
04-28-2014, 12:40 PM
When I built my 55 the Raingear wiper system was the first thing I did inside the car. I have been asked to install one in a done car. this even possible and if so how many hours.

NickP
04-28-2014, 08:23 PM
T&M I would never quote a time frame regardless of the customer or job - Never. To the question, yes and a while.

chevynut
04-28-2014, 08:38 PM
I quote a lot of stuff by the hour. Often, I have to fix damage on customer frames, or do some custom work. I always tell the customer what it's going to cost him even if I run over on estimated hours. I'm getting better at it than I used to be. If I was a customer, I wouldn't pay by the hour for some things, without an estimate or a "not to exceed" price quoted.

Look at it from the customer point of view...he can't just give you a blank check.

Geoff
05-04-2014, 10:27 PM
We have a part-time business in which companies outsource projects to us that they don't have the resources to do in-house.
Due to the nature of the business it's sometimes very tough to calculate, but we always quote an estimate of hours with a "do not exceed without approval" agreement. Sometimes for smaller projects I will quote a flat rate and just eat the overage to get the business and keep the customer happy. I find we get better at it as we go along.

As I've gotten older I've also learned to have a contract/estimate in hand now before I authorize anyone to do work on my cars, house, etc. I find it always makes for a better ending to the project and both sides are usually happier. The last major work I had done on one of my cars had a contract but was open-ended. The work turned out great but I ended up having to project manage it to get it finished and it went way over budget. I have a whole theory on planning/expectations and processes. Both sides usually end up happier when there are written guidelines and expectations.

markm
05-05-2014, 06:19 AM
I solved this problem with a used OEM electric wiper moter I bought at Pate. This car had all the orginal cables etc in good shape.

chevynut
05-05-2014, 07:16 AM
Not sure what the problem was, but the whole point of the Raingear system is to get the motor off of the firewall.

Rick_L
05-05-2014, 09:19 AM
It also gets rid of the cables, which can be a problem. Also the bearing for the cable drive at the motor connection can be a problem.

chevynut
05-05-2014, 09:22 AM
Well of course, Rick, but I think most people choose the Raingear to get rid of the motor on the firewall. That's why I went with it. It's not like we drive our cars in the rain on a daily basis like they did when these cars were new. A lot of guys just go without wipers where it's legal.

Markm, what was the reason your customer wanted the Raingear? For the cost of a rebuilt original motor you can almost pay for a Raingear setup.

markm
05-05-2014, 10:43 AM
Crap non working vacume moter, cables and transmission were in good working order. OEM electric saved them $$$ and got them wipers for those rare times they may need them.

warren57
05-13-2014, 07:46 PM
Installed mine when I had the gage cluster out for painting, steering wheel off, no radio, defroster/heater ducts out for painting and new coil. So, kind of finished car (ha, ha). Still took all day ( 6 - 8 hours) with adjustments.