PDA

View Full Version : p.owner; said it was a 55 seat/ no way

bsa_bob2
05-20-2014, 05:18 AM
I have a seat and its said to be by the general run of builders, that i have a 54 2 dr front seat, post i guess.This seat really looks like a 55, seat of same description. I was thinking about overall dimensions, and one vs the other in style and shape.If can find reasonable price 55 seat in "need". i'd go with that." Then i think.............if i had a stock set of tracks they would more, than likely bolt to the 54 seat in the place and meaurement. Now i like restored kars , but have been modifying 32 fords 50 mercs youall my life name it i have done it.The average guy would think it came out of a55. But i am warned that -NOTHING!-- about this 53-54 seat is the same, so i would need A kustom seat cover done on it.I am not above doing this, if i have too.seat width looks the same, back cushions don't have the top roll over like the 55 s but they look like 55 measurements from the naked eye..Anybody know anyone who has done this change before? before start looking for seat tracks and re-doing this 54 seat.?Any and all help or tips is great! have a good day. lets hear your thoughts bob s

Maddog
05-20-2014, 06:58 AM
I don't know about the tracks, but the 54 seat does look very, very close to a 55/56 seat. Why can't you just use the 54 tracks and make new attachment spots if necessary?

bsa_bob2
05-20-2014, 07:52 AM
I don't know about the tracks, but the 54 seat does look very, very close to a 55/56 seat. Why can't you just use the 54 tracks and make new attachment spots if necessary?

Thats what i was thinking I can do this, but if i talk to restoreres to much they cloud up my mind with original this and original that ,You can't get the proper, interior sets for the kar. I think you may have helped me more, than you might think Getting older isn't fun.thanks maddog i needed that bob s

chevynut
05-20-2014, 08:07 AM
I personally think it would be easier and cleaner to modify the seat tracks than the screw with the floor.

bsa_bob2
05-20-2014, 08:22 AM
I personally think it would be easier and cleaner to modify the seat tracks than the screw with the floor.

Yes you are right chevynut.......I got to listening to Bruce aka hottrod handyman. hes strictly restore, I listened abit to closely, to him yesterday. Hes a great sheetmetal man. I'm a hotrodder at heart.glad he wasn't tryin to sell me anything thanks chevynut bob s

Tabasco
05-20-2014, 05:12 PM
If you are making your car modified, the '54 seat will probably work just fine. In the photo gallery section of this website is a picture of a '54 seat in a '56. It is not a good picture, but the seat looks good to me.

Maybe this will take you there...http://www.trifivechevys.com/dbtgallery.php?do=view_image&id=44&gal=gallery

bsa_bob2
05-30-2014, 01:57 PM
thanks tobasco..that looks great to me!!If i incorporate A roll at the top just abit-Other than the shells' the average fella wouldn't know the difference. Thank you man that really helped! i set my 54 seat in the kar today [just springs]. The mounting points aren't going to take much; to rework -and install, because the 54 seat takes the same mounts as the 55
bob s:)

bsa_bob2
06-05-2014, 09:14 AM
Alls well that ends well!!Ipicked up A genuine 55 front seat in greenfield ohio monday. This seat has set inside out of the weather, never taken apart, one hole where drivers sets , Glad i waited.great shape at the right price complete also now i have to find a buyer for my 54 seat .anybody???? bob s

chevynut
06-05-2014, 09:20 AM
Bob, curious what you paid for the '55 seat. I have a 56 front seat I'll probably sell.

JT56
06-05-2014, 10:10 AM
Bob, curious what you paid for the '55 seat. I have a 56 front seat I'll probably sell.

I paid $600 for my complete seat! I thought it was a deal too.

NickP
06-05-2014, 11:32 AM
I have a 57 2 Door HT front seat that needs a new home - decent shape - $575.