PDA

View Full Version : need help with valve cover issue

rlm765
06-04-2014, 09:34 AM
I recently installed power brakes in my 55 Belair. The valve covers on the 396 will not clear the power brake booster. I have roller rockers and need to get some valve covers that will allow for clearance for them and not interfere with the 8" power booster. Can someone tell me how they have handled this problem? thanks a lot.

JT56
06-04-2014, 10:11 AM
I put an offset booster from CPP on mine. Mine is a SBC, but they are the tall sheet metal ones. Will post some pics when Im on my own pc. I assume your BBC is mounted in the stock location?

NickP
06-04-2014, 10:35 AM
Looks like this: http://www.trifivechevys.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2848&d=1389670714

chevynut
06-04-2014, 12:08 PM
Another solution is to go with a Hydroboost power brake booster. If you have power steering it's an easy (though not inexpensive) upgrade. You get better braking than with a vacuum booster, especially if you have a lumpy cam in the engine.

rlm765
06-05-2014, 05:38 AM
yes it is mounted in the stock position. I purchase the PBB from cpp....didnt know they had an offset unit. I was thinking that maybe the valve covers that you have on yours NCW might work with the angled profile. I found some and I can return if they don't fit....just out the shipping charges. I will take the PBB off....put the valve covers on and then reinstall the PBB to see if it will clear doing it that way. Actually, I would prefer just using OEM steel valve covers with the notch if the roller rockers would clear internally but I am hearing that they won't. I will also check on the hydroboost unit. since my PBB is brand new, should be able to sell without taking too much of a beating. Thanks for your help guys