PDA

View Full Version : Break nuts & bolts Loose

567chevys
06-18-2014, 10:41 AM
Thought this might be some help ,

Machinist's Workshop magazine recently published some information on various penetrating oils that I found very interesting. Some of you might appreciate this. The magazine reports they tested penetrates for break out torque on rusted nuts. They are below, as forwarded by an ex-student and professional machinist. They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrates with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted" environment.
*Penetrating oils ........... Average torque load to loosen*
No Oil used ................... 516 pounds
WD-40 ..................... ... 238 pounds
PB Blaster .................... 214 pounds
Liquid Wrench ...............127 pounds
Kano Kroil .................... 106 pounds
ATF*-Acetone mix......... 53 pounds
The ATF-Acetone mix is a "home brew" mix of 50 - 50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone. Note this "home brew" released bolts better than any commercial product in this one particular test. Our local machinist group mixed up a batch and we all now use it with equally good results. Note also that "Liquid Wrench" is almost as good as "Kroil" for about 20% of the price. Steve from Godwin-Singer says that ATF-Acetone mix is best, but you can also use ATF and lacquer thinner in a 50-50 mix. *ATF=Automatic Transmission Fluid

5Clint7
06-18-2014, 10:49 AM
I made me some onetime, but I can never find it.:confused::?

chevynut
06-18-2014, 11:32 AM
If they can't even specify torque correctly, as in "lb-ft" or "foot-pounds" I question the credibility of the testing methods. How many of these "scientifically rusted" bolts did they test? What statistics did they use to compare the results?

567chevys
06-18-2014, 11:42 AM
Hey Cnut,

I research it ! here is the Article .
http://www.gmcmhphotos.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=40657

PS the author also said anyone can press a U joint out :D

chevynut
06-18-2014, 12:34 PM
Okay, he didn't actually use a threaded bolt and nut. He drilled a hole, inserted a dowel, "corroded" it, and measured the force to press it out. Looks like there were 3 samples per lubricant.

Interesting that he didn't provide the actual raw data, only the averages. Averages can be deceiving if you don't know the standard deviation within a sample. But the averages were fairly far apart on some of them. I really question the "controlled corrosion" part of this experiment. One sample with very low force due to less corrosion could skew the entire experiment. He should have used a larger sample if he really wanted to prove anything, or at least used some statistical analysis.

And he claims he had no way to measure torque? What kind of mechanic doesn't own a torque wrench?

BTW, I'll bet you couldn't get the u-joint out without cutting it either. ;)

Rick_L
06-18-2014, 04:40 PM
Chevynut, here's a step by step procedure.

Put your driveshaft and u-joint into a "controlled corrosion environment" for 90 days. 180 days would be better. Then apply the acetone/ATF mixture. Put the driveshaft in a milling machine and machine a hex on the cap. Use your torque wrench to remove it. Please report the torque.

See, it's easy! :cool:

carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)
06-19-2014, 06:05 AM
thanks for info. have used liquid wrench forever, hard to teach an old dog new tricks.