PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Bearings Out Again

markm
08-03-2014, 05:19 PM
Two years ago I limped home from Salina with a bad wheel bearing. Ran my 55 up on the lift today and guess what another right rear wheel bearing shot. My Dana uses Olds or big Ford press on ball bearings. This is the second set in maybe 4 or 5 thousand miles. First set BCA last ones Chinaman, any one have any thoughts.

Bluegrass Trifive
08-04-2014, 04:55 AM
Two years ago I limped home from Salina with a bad wheel bearing. Ran my 55 up on the lift today and guess what another right rear wheel bearing shot. My Dana uses Olds or big Ford press on ball bearings. This is the second set in maybe 4 or 5 thousand miles. First set BCA last ones Chinaman, any one have any thoughts. Bent axle or housing? Is it possible that debris from 1st failure remained and got in new bearing? Maybe bearing not sealed type? Just some thoughts. What does bearing look like? Just roller damage or signs of heat too?

markm
08-04-2014, 05:54 AM
Sealed bearings and no sign of excessive heat.

Maddog
08-04-2014, 03:25 PM
Two years ago I limped home from Salina with a bad wheel bearing. Ran my 55 up on the lift today and guess what another right rear wheel bearing shot. My Dana uses Olds or big Ford press on ball bearings. This is the second set in maybe 4 or 5 thousand miles. First set BCA last ones Chinaman, any one have any thoughts.

Any thoughts? Yes, I think you're getting good at changing the bearings:razz: On a more serious note, that sucks-could just be the luck of the draw. Are they leaking through the bearing seal or around the bearing?