PDA

View Full Version : PRC Crossflow radiator question

chevynut
10-27-2014, 03:06 PM
When using the "standard" tri5 PRC radiator setup on a '55, how far forward of the radiator support does the radiator actually sit? There is a lip on the front of the V8 radiator and I'm assuming it's a bit in front of that, not against it.

Also, with their A/C condenser, how much room is there between the condenser and the hood latch plate?

JT56
10-27-2014, 03:29 PM
I don't know the exact measurement, but its real tight. Let me see if I can get this guys number who has that exact setup and see if he will take a measurement

Rick_L
10-27-2014, 05:26 PM
I don't have any measurements. It clears the lip. There's maybe 3/16" clearance between the dress cap and tanks to the crossbar. There is some opportunity for adjustment as you have to drill some holes with the "standard" unit. Their location is going to determine what you get. They need to be drilled so that everything clears but no big gaps. Which you don't want anyway.

The AC condenser barely clears. I have seen a 2 or 3 variations of the PRC condenser mount. Some may have not cleared without some "hot rod parts fitting". It's not uncommon to have to trim the latch plate with any radiator/condenser installation on a 55. There is simply that little amount of room for the parts.

chevynut
10-27-2014, 08:17 PM
Thanks guys, that's what I needed to verify. I thought the radiator was pretty close to the front of the support, and I knew on a 55 the condenser was close to the latch. I was looking to see if there's any opportunity to move the radiator forward a bit, but since we're cutting the firewall on HEMI55 we might as well not move the radiator.

One more question.....do the SPAL 11" dual fans extend forward of the radiator support, or even with the front of the flanges? I assume they touch the radiator? Trying to figure out how far behind the support they extend. The SPAL drawing shows 4 1/4" thickness to the back of the motors, and 2.6" to the back of the shroud. We have a dual 11" fan setup ordered for mockup, just trying to verify exact placement.

JT56
10-27-2014, 08:51 PM
Keep in mind mine doesn't have the chrome covers on the motors. When I measure from the top support(motor side) to the back of the motor its 2 1/2 inches.

chevynut
10-27-2014, 11:07 PM
Thanks JT, that's the info I needed. So from the back of the radiator support the fans extend forward 1 3/4" per those measurements. I think the support is 1 1/2" thick, so it looks like the fans extend forward of the top bar a little (~1/4"), all the way to the back side of the radiator. That's what I thought. That will help us put the fans in the correct location in my support.

BTW, is there any difference in the 55 and 56 radiator supports except for the ends that bolt to the fenders? I'm assuming I can use a 56 support I have to mock up the fans for a 55.

I think I may be splitting hairs here because we need to move the engine back to gain good clearance. I just don't want to be surprised when things are bolted up. The nose of the water pump pulley can go in between the fan motors somewhat (it's pretty long), but I need to make sure everything else clears the motors.

Thanks a bunch!

JT56
10-28-2014, 05:01 AM
I dont think there is much difference between the 55 and 56?

Rick_L
10-28-2014, 07:50 AM
You can mount the fans up very close to the radiator. I don't like them to touch but you can get them fairly close.

chevynut
10-28-2014, 09:03 AM
Wow, that's close. Here's a 55 compared to a 56, both with PRC radiators.

http://www.prchotrod.com/rod-gallery/rods/55ChevyWagonRad2.jpg

http://www.prchotrod.com/rod-gallery/rods/57-ragtop2.jpg

JT56
10-28-2014, 10:03 AM
Glad you found the pic of 55...looks just like the guy I was talking about. The pic of the 56 shows the cap on the opposite side than mine. Maybe due to the LS motor config.