PDA

View Full Version : electric power steering

sgreg831
12-04-2014, 12:50 PM
I hear new cars mostly have electric power steering. Are there any aftermarket brands that would work on my 57 belair? Thanks in advance

Rick_L
12-04-2014, 04:38 PM
The only one I've ever seen is a Flaming River unit that was $3500 or so, and that was a bare unit that would need a bunch of other parts to install it and have it work.

I saw someone claim on another site that he knew how to adapt one from a late model. When I queried him for details and photos, he said it was intuitively obvious and didn't say anything else.

The electric assist adds diameter to the column, where that bulge is would be a big deal on whether it would fit another car. Another unanswered question for me - does it work just by supplying electrical power, or does it need sensors and/or a body control module/computer to work?

It's probably early for this, but it's coming, and someone will be a pioneer.

Maddog
12-04-2014, 06:14 PM
Cpp was selling them on Ebay about 3-4 years ago, from a Toyota I think, but they pulled it after a few weeks, maybe they got scared of liability.

Rick_L
12-04-2014, 06:43 PM
I just did some googling on this. Flaming River no longer has it on their website except for an internal website link that didn't work. I did find a photo of one. It had an electric motor attached to a steering box. This wouldn't package well in a 55-57. The unit did have a control box - so I think that an adapted OEM unit would have one too.

I did find some references to OEMs that used this. Apparently Toyota has for a while. I think that some of the smaller GM FWD cars have had them for a few years.

chevynut
12-04-2014, 10:32 PM
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/electric-vs-hydraulic-steering-a-comprehensive-comparison-test-feature

NickP
12-05-2014, 06:54 AM
Not "intuitively obvious" from my perspective. Interesting article. The Cog Belt bothers me a bit though. I'm certain they have been tested but unless it's made frome something other than what standard belts are made from there is a failure waiting to happen - can you say - RECALL.

chevynut
12-05-2014, 07:01 AM
Nick, those cog belts are used for cam timing as well as many other things where they see a lot more severe use and they last a long time. In this application I think they see very little stress and should last at least as long as the rack itself. I think it's probably as reliable as the hoses and pump on a hydraulic power steering system. Besides, if it fails you still have steering, just like with hydraulic steering. I don't think this is totally drive by wire.

zsparkman
12-26-2014, 10:53 PM
Here is a place I found for the steering in my 56 Chevy 210. Hope you have success with this.
Sparky

http://americanpowertrain.com/c-319897-shop-by-category-electric-power-steering.html

Rick_L
12-27-2014, 06:24 AM
Did you buy and install it?

chevynut
12-27-2014, 08:07 AM
Wow, $2750 but it's a pretty cool setup. Looks like you have to use it with a manual box or rack. I only see them for C1 or C2 corvettes but perhaps it could be adapted to other cars. I'll just about bet that's some OEM setup modified for that application.

Maddog
12-27-2014, 01:59 PM
The new Chevy and GMC trucks (1/2 ton) have electric r&p

markm
12-27-2014, 02:47 PM
The new Chevy and GMC trucks (1/2 ton) have electric r&p

So does new Ford 1/2 ton .

Maddog
12-27-2014, 06:10 PM
Interesting that GM states that increased fuel economy is the driving force behind it.

zsparkman
12-27-2014, 08:17 PM
You need to get the universal one for street rods and customs. Works well with a manual rack and piņon. No hydraulics involved and no hoses and pump to deal with. Probably would work good with the OEM steering box as well. Interfaces with the speedometer cable to give more steering authority at low speeds and less at high speeds. When I called them they told me it takes about three weeks to build and deliver. Guess that could be shorter if they're not as busy as they were earlier this year. Good luck.

chevynut
12-27-2014, 08:27 PM
So does new Ford 1/2 ton .

This is not an electric rack and pinion. Lots of cars have those. It's an electric power steering column.

They don't have a price for the universal one and it's 2-3 week delivery:

http://americanpowertrain.com/i-8580036-ez-electric-power-steering-for-street-rod-and-customs.html

markm
12-28-2014, 09:52 AM
This is not an electric rack and pinion. Lots of cars have those. It's an electric power steering column.

They don't have a price for the universal one and it's 2-3 week delivery:

http://americanpowertrain.com/i-8580036-ez-electric-power-steering-for-street-rod-and-customs.html

Interesting I bet that I don't want to own one of these with 150k on it.

chevynut
12-28-2014, 10:19 AM
Interesting I bet that I don't want to own one of these with 150k on it.

What? 150K miles? I don't understand what you're saying. If the motor goes out, you still have manual steering. I guess most of this new stuff is a little too high tech for your liking? :)

Personally I think it's a great concept. It allows you to use whatever steering box you want, with no ps plumbing under the hood fewer pulleys, and no maintenance. The downside is if you want a hydroboost you still need a PS pump so you don't gain much. You also need the room under the dash, and it's expensive.

Everything is going electric on cars these days to decrease fuel consumption and weight. Electric cooling fans, electric steering, and I've even seen electric AC compressors being used. Vacuum still works great for power braking so I don't think there's a lot of incentive to go to electric brakes unless supercharged cars become a lot more common. Even then they just may go to an electric vacuum pump.

I wonder if any hotrodders have tried adapting the OEM electric steering to their cars. The Malibu has has electric steering for around 10 years. Seems like these days everyone wants "kits" and few guys build their own stuff.

Looks like Unisteer has one too: http://www.unisteer.com/electric-power-steering/improved-electra-steer-ididit-steering-column-kit.html

I may try some of this high-tech stuff on my next 56 build. :)

markm
12-29-2014, 08:35 AM
What? 150K miles? I don't understand what you're saying. If the motor goes out, you still have manual steering. I guess most of this new stuff is a little too high tech for your liking? :)

Personally I think it's a great concept. It allows you to use whatever steering box you want, with no ps plumbing under the hood fewer pulleys, and no maintenance. The downside is if you want a hydroboost you still need a PS pump so you don't gain much. You also need the room under the dash, and it's expensive.

Everything is going electric on cars these days to decrease fuel consumption and weight. Electric cooling fans, electric steering, and I've even seen electric AC compressors being used. Vacuum still works great for power braking so I don't think there's a lot of incentive to go to electric brakes unless supercharged cars become a lot more common. Even then they just may go to an electric vacuum pump.

I wonder if any hotrodders have tried adapting the OEM electric steering to their cars. The Malibu has has electric steering for around 10 years. Seems like these days everyone wants "kits" and few guys build their own stuff.

Looks like Unisteer has one too: http://www.unisteer.com/electric-power-steering/improved-electra-steer-ididit-steering-column-kit.html

I may try some of this high-tech stuff on my next 56 build. :)

I have some good news for you, my friends in the auto repair world tell me that C4 & C5 electronics are becoming unavailable making them "parts cars". No desire to use this stuff in my car or even own it for that matter.

chevynut
12-29-2014, 01:08 PM
my friends in the auto repair world tell me that C4 & C5 electronics are becoming unavailable making them "parts cars".

That is good news for us who use those parts but I think your friends are misinformed. There's a huge aftermarket for electronic parts for all these new cars not to mention the loads of used parts available on eBay and elsewhere.

To each his own. If you prefer to use outdated carburetors, crank windows, manual steering, manual brakes and AM radio that's your choice. Just don't badmouth those who like the modern conveniences and upgrades or the parts used to accomplish that.

By the way, my Nomad has EFI, A/C, power steering, electric power brakes, auto-up power windows, power door locks, power vent windows, dual electric fans, electronic cruise control, programmable automatic headlights with soft-dimming dome lights, power hood latch, keyless entry with alarm, 12-way power seats, electronic dimming r/v mirror with temperature and compass, and a touch screen Kenwood stereo with DVD and Polk Audio speakers. It will also have Dakota Digital's VHX analog gauges controlled by a computer. I'm sure you'd hate it. ;)

markm
12-31-2014, 11:56 AM
That is good news for us who use those parts but I think your friends are misinformed. There's a huge aftermarket for electronic parts for all these new cars not to mention the loads of used parts available on eBay and elsewhere.

Really, like the BCM, this guys father owned a Chevy dealership. He specializes in working on late model GM stuff.

To each his own. If you prefer to use outdated carburetors, crank windows, manual steering, manual brakes and AM radio that's your choice. Just don't badmouth those who like the modern conveniences and upgrades or the parts used to accomplish that.

You dont know as much as you think, I have not owned a street car with manual steering, drum brakes, points, and AM radio since the mid 70s when I got my 75 Camaro. The only cars i own without PS are those I converted to manual, fast drag cars dont like it. I build hot rods not show cars with a bunch of finicky gadgets. When done with my 396 powered 55 gasser I lined it up with a buddys pro street 57 with a 502, it was not even a race, the 65 model 396 with a tunnel ram embarased the crate moter. You can bad mouth my way all you want but get it right.

Rick_L
12-31-2014, 03:29 PM
Markm, don't forget those dinosaur axles you rave about!

markm
01-01-2015, 10:29 AM
Hey Rick if you can have e rebuilt locker all new bearings brakes etc. with this kevel of strength for 1100 dollars why not. I bet there are guys on here that would love to have the 60 Inch Chevelle 12 bolt 355 Positrack I pulled out.