PDA

View Full Version : Enjoying retirement

scmense
12-10-2014, 05:59 PM
I just enjoy driving around in my truck. The squeak and thud of the pedal is there plus a 350 with a 350 auto, ps. It is not in anyway original, ac and a moonroof. I was 9 years old in 1956 when this truck was new so I grew up with them. It is my last project, body says no more so pocket book says holy crap, can not pay to have it done. In God We Trust. In Chevys we have fun.

BAM55
12-10-2014, 06:21 PM
Its great that you are enjoying your retirement and having fun with the truck. You worked for it and you earned it so keep on having a blast.

JT56
12-10-2014, 08:03 PM
Nice truck

WagonCrazy
12-10-2014, 08:27 PM
Great to hear from someone that there is life "on the other side". Enjoy.

carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)
12-11-2014, 05:36 AM
good looking ride. good to hear your enjoying it and retirement. everyday is a Saturday. :D

scmense
12-11-2014, 07:57 AM
Bam55 I think of the years working and am enjoying myself as much as possible. I called Social Security and asked how much I had paid in. The guy said he had been working for SS for 25 years and never been asked that question. The amount was staggering, they calculate money paid in so it has they same value throughout your life.
Thanks JT56, I am putting it back together, still have a lot to do.
Wagoncrazy, there is life on the other side, but life is a fragile thing.
Carls56, welcome back brother, your right about days being the same and that is nice.

smooth 56
12-11-2014, 09:18 AM
like the truck you say your putting it back together, what ya been doin to it ? Love the dog had one like that was the best dog and friend I have ever had,like to have killed me when he died.

scmense
12-11-2014, 10:25 AM
Just finishing the bed. Yesterday I cut grooves for the gas cap cover in bed, then treated the wood with por15. Will put cover on today. Still have the kick panels to install, both factory and aftermarket that have the ac vents built in. I plan on using POR15 on all metal that I did not get treated when truck was apart. It takes me while to get things done due to a bad spine, but I try to do a little everyday. Lot of cleaning up and detailing to do under hood.
Koda is my border collie, we spend lots of time together and she is smart as a whip and can astonish me at times by what she knows and how she acts. She has not been in this truck on an extended trip yet. She is a good friend.

chevynut
12-11-2014, 04:57 PM
scemense, I'm with ya. I was offered an early retirement package by the company I worked for for 35+ years and I took it two years ago. I haven't regretted it since and I'm enjoying retirement. I started a small company I'd been running as kind of a hobby for a few years, and have been having fun with it while helping guys get into performance suspensions on their cars at a reasonable price. Have met a bunch of great guys in the past couple of years, and having a lot of fun. I'm sitting on the shore of the Pacific Ocean in Old Mexico right now having a great time with my GF and actually can't wait to get back to working on my car and the projects I have in progress. It's great to unwind, but my passions are waiting for me in my shop.

scmense
12-11-2014, 05:16 PM
chevynut, I am glad your enjoying the fruits of your labor. Sounds like your helping fellow gear heads and that has to be satisfying too. Enjoy your vacation.

capnduane
12-16-2014, 08:31 PM
Hi scmense, nice looking 4x4 pickup you have, they are fun to drive around and get all the thumbs up and comments, and offers to buy! 10-4 on the body not wanting to be thrashed like I used to do, 3842but on good days I can still get'er done! I'm newly retired, (a year ago) and bought a '55 Small window short bed truck to help replace the hi stress job that I have no more. I got it in August of '13 and worked on it 7 days a week for 3 months like it was a contract job. When I got it, It was a runner , I wouldn't call it a driver, and I had to fix just about every system in the truck and did body work and paint myself. My truck is just about where I want it, just sort of doing small projects/upgrades as I feel like doing. I drive it nearly every day and it runs great. It has a Pontiac 400 and a Muncie 4 speed with Hurst shifter, Mostly stock interior with Chevelle bucket seats. Totally stock suspension, brakes, and rear end. I am sort of getting into the retirement mode, and enjoy that week ends last all week long!

scmense
12-18-2014, 10:12 AM
Nice truck. We are having bad weather presently so not driving my truck everyday and I miss it. Enjoy your retirement capnduane