PDA

View Full Version : Shop interior almost finished

chevynut
12-20-2014, 01:19 PM
The past couple of days I built the custom door between the old shop and the addition. There was a 3x4 window on the end of the old shop, and I decided to retain the 4 foot wide opening so I could roll large objects between the shops if I wanted to.

3854 3855 3856

I wanted one door I could walk through, and a way to make it larger. I tried to find a "french door" with an offset center, but couldn't find one. The framed opening was 47" wide and no standard doors would fit.

So I bought a 2'8" (32") interior mahogany door and removed the top jamb and the jamb with the latch on it. I made a new top jamb and a new jamb to attach another door onto. Then I cut hinge pockets in it. I had a solid core door and I cut a 13" section out of it to fill the opening. I cut hinge pockets in it, and a pocket for the latch to go on. This section will be latched shut until I need a larger opening to roll something like and engine hoist through. I may put a window in one of the doors so I can see from one shop to the other.

Here's a picture of the finished door. The one on the left is a closet under the stairs that I plan to move my compressor into.

Next is finishing up a little painting, trim work, and some cabinets and workbenches. Back to working on the Nomad now. ;)

Troy
12-20-2014, 05:16 PM
Wow I wish I had a shop like yours!!!! Very Nice!!!!

chevynut
12-20-2014, 05:29 PM
Thanks Troy, what you see in the pics above is my 1300 SF "clean" shop. Through the door is another 1150 SF shop where we build frames, do bodywork, etc. The clean shop will be for assembling my Nomad and storing other vehicles. It's all right next to my house.

Here's the whole thing...