PDA

View Full Version : Radiator Information

55Graham
12-21-2014, 06:58 PM
Hello, I'm a new member and I have a 55 Chevy. I have an LS motor in my car and putting a new radiator in my car. My three choices I have ben looking at are the Mattson's Radiator, Performance Rod and Custom, and the Auto Rad. Can anybody tell me there experience with any of these radiators. I would appreciate any help. Thank you

Mike56
12-22-2014, 09:16 PM
I would be interested in the responses also, need to buy one for a big block 620 hp

chevynut
12-23-2014, 04:34 AM
I had PRC build me a custom radiator for my Nomad and I think it's a high quality part. Lots of guys have used PRC with great success and they make a "standard" version for a tri5 Chevy. An LS engine takes a special setup with the inlets and outlets reversed so be aware of that. As far as HP, it doesn't really make that much difference what HP you're running if you're not using the power potential a lot of the time imo. It takes just as much HP to drive down the highway with a 600HP BBC as it does with a 300HP SBC and they generate about the same amount of waste heat. The most important thing in getting good radiator performance is the cooling fans. The PRC setup has dual SPAL 11" fans rated at 2750 CFM. I built my own radiator support and it uses dual Derale 12" fans rated at 4000 CFM.

markm
12-23-2014, 11:36 AM
I use a Portell Radiator purchased at Lawrence Swap meet with my BBC, they have a website .

geary@portellradiator.com

Bihili
12-23-2014, 02:09 PM
After everything is installed then we all judge on looks.
Lets assume the fans are about all the same,
the main thing that stands out is the polished look.
The second most noticed item is the top of the radiator.
The core support is the third item we notice.
IMO

PS welcome aboard

Bihili
12-23-2014, 02:11 PM
I would be interested in the responses also, need to buy one for a big block 620 hp

Welcome Mike also

http://www.northernfactory.com/HIGH_PERFORMANCE/SEARCH_BY_CATEGORY/HIGH_PERFORMANCE_RADIATORS/MUSCLE_CAR_RADIATORS/GM_RADIATORS/205142

chevynut
12-23-2014, 02:36 PM
After everything is installed then we all judge on looks.
Lets assume the fans are about all the same,
the main thing that stands out is the polished look.
The second most noticed item is the top of the radiator.
The core support is the third item we notice.
IMO

Unless you can't see ANY of it. :)

Rick_L
12-23-2014, 05:02 PM
I can't tell if the radiator in bihili's link has a dress cap. The PRC does. This is a piece of aluminum welded between the tanks, full width of the core, covering the top of the core.

There are lots of ways to mount the radiator and lots of ways to do the radiator support. The simplest and cheapest is the PRC that's made for the stock support. Then at the other end of the spectrum are the PRC with a custom radiator support, and I think Mattson's and AutoRad are custom supports too. PRC had a lot of trouble with their custom supports fitting when they introduced them but I think they are fine now. I have no idea on how the Mattson or AutoRad fit. (It's not easy to make them fit, but on the other hand if you're going to sell them and charge what's charged - they damn sure should.)

Myself, I had PRC make me a custom radiator to fit the stock support that I modified.

Inlets and outlets on an LS engine are NOT reversed, but they are smaller (1.31" diameter) than traditional engines. Radiator inlet is on the driver side, and outlet is on the passenger side.

Bluegrass Trifive
12-23-2014, 07:06 PM
I can't tell if the radiator in bihili's link has a dress cap. The PRC does. This is a piece of aluminum welded between the tanks, full width of the core, covering the top of the core.

There are lots of ways to mount the radiator and lots of ways to do the radiator support. The simplest and cheapest is the PRC that's made for the stock support. Then at the other end of the spectrum are the PRC with a custom radiator support, and I think Mattson's and AutoRad are custom supports too. PRC had a lot of trouble with their custom supports fitting when they introduced them but I think they are fine now. I have no idea on how the Mattson or AutoRad fit. (It's not easy to make them fit, but on the other hand if you're going to sell them and charge what's charged - they damn sure should.)

Myself, I had PRC make me a custom radiator to fit the stock support that I modified.

Inlets and outlets on an LS engine are NOT reversed, but they are smaller (1.31" diameter) than traditional engines. Radiator inlet is on the driver side, and outlet is on the passenger side. Depending on which water pump you use the Outlet can be either on the left or right side. Lots of people prefer to use a radiator with the inlet on the right side and use the Corvette or Camaro pump if they're running a stock style intake as the hose then doesn't have to run across the front of the engine in the air inlet area. Personally I think its a cleaner look as well.

Rick_L
12-23-2014, 07:30 PM
Bluegrass, for what applications do the pumps have them switched? I think most truck pumps are as you and I describe too. Are some of the later models different?

Bluegrass Trifive
12-24-2014, 05:13 AM
Bluegrass, for what applications do the pumps have them switched? I think most truck pumps are as you and I describe too. Are some of the later models different? I guess I should have said the early Camaro is a right side as the later models are left. Honestly I think its either a preference thing, like looking old school or just what maybe looks cleaner in your setup. I'm actually going to pick up my water pump this morning at my local NAPA store. I'm using the Vette setup with Holley Brackets. The strangest part is there is a big difference in the price of the earlier model pump vs the newer and they're pretty much the same pump. With the Vette damper and Holley brackets you can pretty much use anything except the truck pump. I wound up being better off buying a new one ($150) because I have no core. Shipping and all considered NAPA was best deal for me. The attached pictures are from the Holley documents. Incidentally if you look on Holley's website for their LS bracket info there is a ton of info regarding the front accessories which parts work with what and part number info. It helped me greatly. My next hurdle is my power steering pump. The stock ones have a clamped hose provision for the return and I wish to do all AN Hose. I may have to look at some Circle Track sources to find one or perhaps pull the tube and tap the pump. I'm not real familiar with the later model pumps so I'll be spending some quality Google time soon!

Rick_L
12-24-2014, 02:38 PM
Looks like all those pictured have the suction in a similar location, maybe some small differences in the thermostat housing shape.

Isn't the thermostat housing on the suction side as opposed to it being on the pressure side on a traditional V8?

Bluegrass Trifive
12-24-2014, 03:59 PM
Looks like all those pictured have the suction in a similar location, maybe some small differences in the thermostat housing shape.

Isn't the thermostat housing on the suction side as opposed to it being on the pressure side on a traditional V8? Yes the pump inlet or suction sides are very similar. On the outlet or pressure side I'm moving the hose and radiator inlet connection to the right mainly to get away from the power steering area as I'll be running Hydraboost piping in that general area and mounting the tank remotely from the pump.

Bluegrass Trifive
12-25-2014, 12:48 AM

Isn't the thermostat housing on the suction side as opposed to it being on the pressure side on a traditional V8?
Oops forgot to answer the T-stat part. Yes they're all on the inlet side of the pump. I've never taken time to read up on why they changed from the outlet. Often with the OEMs it's either just cost reduction from a vendor doing sub assembly for them, or could be emissions reduction if they're hotter quicker somehow at cold start. I'll try to find out as I'm now curious myself.

chevynut
12-25-2014, 07:42 AM
Well guys I could have sworn that I read somewhere that the radiator inlets and outlets were reversed for an LS engine, but apparently I was mistaken. I thought the thermostat was still on the outlet side of the engine and on the passenger side. Thanks for correcting my misconceptions.

Here's why they moved the thermostat to the inlet side of the pump:

"GM cars produced since the early '90s typically use 180-degree thermostats (80- to 82-degree C) that are installed on the water inlet side of the water pump from the lower radiator hose. This is because water traveling from the radiator's lower hose is generally at a continuously stable and cooler temperature and does not cause the thermostat's operation to oscillate as frequently.
Read more: http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/148-0504-cooling-system-info/#ixzz3MvJzmqr0

Justin@ECP
01-16-2015, 11:45 AM
All on the passenger side, good sir!

Both ECP and Entropy make good direct-fit choices for your car, and the Entropy LS-specific rad has the steam port provision on it.