PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a chrome shop

chevynut
01-09-2015, 10:36 AM
I'm going to have to start sending out some parts for chrome plating soon and I'm looking for input on plating shops. I have a lot of pieces of my Nomad I want plated, and I want to find ONE plater to do everything.

I was thinking about going with Ogden Chrome based on some estimates I got from them the past few years. Yesterday I got a rude awakening from them.

I wanted them to quote show chrome on my smoothie bumpers and told him I have received estimates of $475 each TWICE from their sales guys at Goodguys shows I went to. That was for a factory i-piece bumper. I always thought that was too cheap, so I sent an online request for quote and tried to attach some pics but it failed to go through. So I sent e-mail to their support address and told them that their RFQ page doesn't work. I got a reply from their operations manager (Jose) and he asked for a description of the parts and pictures.

Anyhow, I was very disappointed with the response. He told me that a factory 1-piece bumper was entirely different than my 1-piece smoothie that I welded together. He basically told me that I wasted my time welding the bumper up because they'd have to charge me as much as if they welded it up for me, which is $900-1500 each. He said this is because they will most likely find pinholes in the welds, and my bumpers will need a lot of blocking because they look "wavy" in the pictures. Bullshit. I TIG welded the bumpers and I have ground and blocked the welds for hours, and they're pretty damn flat. What he calls "wavy" is where I welded the holes shut after grinding away the copper, then feathered it in. That's like saying the feathered areas you get blocking primer are "wavy" when the truth is just the opposite. I realize they're going to have to do more blocking before plating, and I told him that. But these bumpers have ZERO damage to them since I fixed it all. He said they would have to copper plate and block at least 10 times. I really don't think it needs anywhere near that amount of work. He said that the MINIMUM cost would be $900 and it could be as high as $1500, but couldn't tell me why the range was so high. He also said their prices have gone up 25% in just the past year.

I can understand being "conservative" but I don't think that's what I was hearing. Ogden says they pay for shipping both ways, and I think they just bury the shipping cost into the plating quote....nothing is free. However, he told me they had a guy in Denver yesterday who could pick up my bumpers. I'm in Texas for the weekend and the bumpers are still on the car so I couldn't do that. I suspect they don't really pay for shipping, they just pick up parts for you which is fine with me. But the cost needs to be competitive.

Anyhow, I think it's ridiculous to tell me that they can build and plate a smoothie for the same price as plating my bumpers. And I think it's ridiculous to claim that my smoothies are any more or much more work than plating a factory one-piece bumper.

So I'm going to look at alternatives. I want show chrome, and I know there will be a little more smoothing to do before plating. I plan to have Sherm's and Advanced Plating give me quotes or estimates. Do you know any other platers that can do high quality work at a "fair" price? What is the going rate you guys have found for bumper plating?

markm
01-09-2015, 04:21 PM
Finding a chrome shop is getting tougher all the time thanks to assholes like Gore and his friends at the EPA.

chevynut
01-09-2015, 04:40 PM
It seems like these surviving chrome shops are becoming a bit arrogant too. I sent an e-mail to Advanced Plating and Sherm's today and was amazed at the reply I got from Advanced Plating. I sent them pics of my bumpers, even some closeups. And they replied:

"A ballpark price to chrome plate these bumpers filling and smoothing so no welds or repairs are visible from the outside is apx $2,500.00 each. A firm price can be given once we receive the parts for inspection. The turnaround time would be apx 18-20 weeks.Thank you"

You've gotta be shitting me. My bumpers don't need any "filling and smoothing" of the welds. All they need is some stripping, copper plating, and some minor blocking to be ready for plating. And 18-20 weeks? No wonder they quote so high. And once you ship to them, you're screwed because if you don't like the quote you have to pay to ship them back.

I sent a message back asking what they charge to plate an OEM 56 Chevy 1-piece bumper with no welds and no damage. Curious what they say. I'm going to ask Ogden the same question.

Bihili
01-12-2015, 08:36 AM
Where does Chip Foose send all of his fabricated bumpers?

rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017
01-12-2015, 09:36 AM
This one has been mentioned over at the animal rights website lol. Suppose to be a good place to work with according to many animal lovers lol.
http://www.northtexasqualitychrome.com/

chevynut
01-12-2015, 11:32 AM
Where does Chip Foose send all of his fabricated bumpers?

I don't know, but I do know Kindig-it Designs uses Ogden Chrome. That's probably why they've raised their prices.

chevynut
01-12-2015, 02:25 PM
Okay, Ogden Chrome told me they charge $718.75 for a 1-piece OEM 56 Chevy bumper in show chrome. That sounds more like what I expected.

So this just doesn't make sense to me. Why would they charge more for a welded bumper which is essentially a 1-piece? I can understand it if the welds need work, but why wouldn't the "starting" price be the same and go up from there depending on work needed on the welds?

They even said straightening of the bumper is included in that price. Mine don't need any straightening.

"Now the street and show chrome price is for a bumper that don't have any welds such as bolt holes or converted in a one pc. Straightening is included in the street and show chrome price."

So why would mine be $900 minimum when it's nearly ready to plate already? I don't get it. :confused:

Rick_L
01-12-2015, 03:03 PM
Maybe you already worked too hard on the bumper - should have sent it out right after you tack welded the pieces together, lol.

chevynut
01-12-2015, 05:46 PM
Rick, that's what they tried to tell me, essentially. It's kind of an insult to me, if you know what I mean. They act like they're the only ones who can do it right. I did tens of hours of work on these bumpers, and they act like I screwed them up or something. I have seen a lot of "smoothie" bumpers and many of them look like shit to me. That's why I decided to build my own. I'm betting they would have a hard time finding where I welded it. ;)

Here's the front bumper before I plugged the mounting holes....the backside is almost as nice as the front side!

3971 3972

And here it is with the mounting holes and brace holes plugged.....

3973 3974

Then here's the rear bumper front and back. I did even more metalworking and blocking after this!

Rick_L
01-12-2015, 06:56 PM
I do know what you mean. But maybe they get stuff that DOES need a lot of attention more often than they get the good stuff - so they feel they need to play the CYA game. And maybe they take advantage too.

Reading the stuff on the N. Texas Quality Chrome website, they seem to have the same attitude. And I've heard similar feedback about them. They do have a good reputation.

Curiously, one of the partner/owners listed at the N. TX Quality Chrome site is an industrial CNC machine shop owner that I've done business with off and on for about 30 years. He knew I was a possible customer and told me he'd bought into the shop a few years back. I don't know if putting in a good word for you would help or hurt (wink). I move so slow on this stuff I've never had an opportunity to take advantage of his involvement.

LEE T
01-13-2015, 04:49 AM
You might be able to find a shop in your area that will just dip the parts in the different tanks when you need it, and you do all the sanding and buffing in between dips.

chevynut
01-13-2015, 07:08 AM
You might be able to find a shop in your area that will just dip the parts in the different tanks when you need it, and you do all the sanding and buffing in between dips.

Thanks Lee but I don't want to get that anal about it, and what a hassle. I doubt they'd even do it (if I could even find one). I have no problem paying the $718 for a 1-piece bumper. I just don't understand why it's $900 to $1500 (you know it won't be $900) just because I've welded on it. There's NO straightening required, only some blocking of the copper and I think that's minimal.

And yes, Rick, I think they're taking advantage. If they weren't they'd start at $718 and add cost IF there are issues with the welds that need to be addressed. I think that would be more reasonable.

Another thing I was told is that they use templates to make sure the bumper is the right shape. I narrowed mine slightly to fit tighter to the body, and I told him I didn't want them re-shaped. All I want is polishing and show chrome plating.

Rick_L
01-13-2015, 07:30 AM
Your point on the shape is well taken. How can they possibly use a template on a bumper that's been tucked to fit the car a bit more closely?

chevynut
01-13-2015, 07:43 AM
I just got an estimate from Ogden to plate my 8 pieces of windshield trim that are already chrome plated and in very nice condition but they need re-chromed to have the shine I want. I removed the parts from the car in the mid 70's and they've been in dry storage. That's the 2 a-pillar pieces, the 4 upper and lower long pieces, and the two small caps in the center. The low end of the range runs $800 and the high end about $1000. Does that sound reasonable or at least the going rate? Warren said he got all his interior trim for his 57 done for $650.

Advanced plating hasn't even answered my question about plating an OEM one-piece bumper and Sherm's hasn't replied to me at all. I think Advanced Plating's pricing is absurd at 3 times that of Ogden's, but if they can get it good for them.

This chroming is going to be a lot more expensive than I thought it was going to be. :(

MP&C
01-13-2015, 09:32 AM
You need to find a plater in need of a C4 conversion in his trifive... Do some horse trading..

Rick_L
01-13-2015, 12:51 PM
You need to find a plater in need of a C4 conversion in his trifive

At the prices they're charging, they probably collect Ferraris, not trivfive Chevys. LOL

chevynut
01-13-2015, 02:39 PM
At the prices they're charging, they probably collect Ferraris, not trivfive Chevys. LOL

Isn't that the truth? :)

I am convinced a guy needs "show chrome" on a bumper because it's so large and prominent part of the car. For a driver, "street chrome" is probably fine.

However, for some parts, like interior pieces, I am not convinced that "show chrome" is even necessary. The parts aren't that big, and small defects would probably go un-noticed. My belief is you'd probably get something equivalent to "show chrome" anyhow on an undamaged, un-pitted near-perfect piece of interior trim that just needs re-plated.

Turns out Ogden picks up in Denver every month. That probably saves them a lot in shipping cost if they get a large order. If I can talk them into pricing mine as a 1-piece bumper I might try one of my bumpers with them to see how it turns out...both the quality and the cost. If it's good I will send my other bumper too. They drive almost right past my house. :)

On the interior trim, I might send it all to Al's Plating or someplace like that, even with the shipping cost. I've heard good things about Al's, here and elsewhere. I just can't see spending $3000-3500 on re-plating my chrome interior trim when it's in such good shape. If my windshield trim is $800-1000, the upper quarter window and upper liftgate trim is certainly $1200-1400, then I have 7 headliner bows that will probably run $1200-1500 at Ogden. That's just crazy. :geek:

Hawaiian
01-14-2015, 06:55 AM
Had "Superior Chrome" in San Jose CA, (408) 947-7781
Had all the interior pieces done except the bows for $1500.00. (21 pieces) He want's to see the part before he quotes you a price. The person you need to talk to is Mark. They did a great job. Hope this help. Mahalo

chevynut
01-14-2015, 07:11 AM
Thanks Hawaiian, that's more in the price range I would have expected for the interior pieces. You must have done the beltline molding too, which is not normally chrome, to get to 21 pieces. So if I included the bows it wouldn't be that much more. I see they offer different levels of chrome too...did you get show chrome or their standard plating?

I still haven't heard a word from Sherm's Plating. I guess they're too busy to communicate with potential customers or they're afraid of a "welded" bumper.

Hawaiian
01-14-2015, 07:23 AM
Yes you right, I also did the belt line molding. It was done all in show chrome. At a later date I did one headliner bow, for $120.00. I am still working on the wiring at this time, so I did not install the parts yet.

Hawaiian
01-14-2015, 07:37 AM
I take it back, i think it was standard chrome. But looking at the parts it was a great job. I don't think you can see the difference. The only think you might see is the cost. Mahalo my friend and LOL:

chevynut
01-16-2015, 08:16 AM
Finally got a reply back from Sherm's and they want $1250 and up (depending on level of work) to do my bumpers, plus shipping both ways. So Advanced Plating and Sherm's are both out. Ogden is looking pretty good if I can get them to consider this a "1-piece bumper" not a "modified" bumper.

So now I'm looking at $1050 plus shipping both ways to chrome my liftgate (Madmooks). Probably around $900 for each bumper, and $1500-2000 for the interior trim. Then I still have my window frames and a few other odds and ends that I'm sure I'll find. That's around $5K just for chrome. :(

Glad all the exterior trim on these cars is stainless. I bought all my die cast stuff new, and I'm sure it was less than re-chroming them....far less.

brian55
01-19-2015, 07:28 AM
I used superior chrome in San Jose to do my smoothie bumpers,$1400 for the pair.I got the same story from ogden was told at a Good guys event they would cost 700-800 per bumper then when I called them to do them was told they would start at $1500 per and go up from there. They are a little hesitant to do them but when they saw how well I finished mine they were willing to take them and I mig welded mine you tig welded yours so you don't have any pits to fill. I was very impressed when I got them back they looked Great. When i picked them up i told The old guy that does all the straightning he did an awesome job and he told me it was because of how close I got them, he had shown me a 56 smoothie front bumper that someone had brought in and it was a wreck. I've seen your pictures of your bumpers and they look every bit as nice as mine and are probably nicer do to you tig welding them. Mark is the guy you need to talk to there he works kind of strange hours, he gets in at 2pm and works until 7-8 pm. Their # 408-947-7781 Good luck

chevynut
01-19-2015, 07:52 AM
Thanks Brian, if I can't get Ogden to do mine for the price of an OEM smoothie I may check into Superior. I'd have to add proably $300-400 for shipping costs. That's where Ogden works out good for me.

rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017
01-19-2015, 07:57 AM
Finally got a reply back from Sherm's and they want $1250 and up (depending on level of work) to do my bumpers, plus shipping both ways. So Advanced Plating and Sherm's are both out. Ogden is looking pretty good if I can get them to consider this a "1-piece bumper" not a "modified" bumper.

So now I'm looking at $1050 plus shipping both ways to chrome my liftgate (Madmooks). Probably around $900 for each bumper, and $1500-2000 for the interior trim. Then I still have my window frames and a few other odds and ends that I'm sure I'll find. That's around $5K just for chrome. :(

Glad all the exterior trim on these cars is stainless. I bought all my die cast stuff new, and I'm sure it was less than re-chroming them....far less.

All the hi end nomads I've seen at major car events that had a modern interior like your planning just painted everything and ditched all the chrome and stainless on the interior. I always figured they just like the look better. I guess I know why now. It's cheaper.

chevynut
01-19-2015, 08:13 AM
Rocky, actually I've considered painting my interior trim. But I decided I like the stock look with painted beltline trim and chrome upper trim, with the chrome bows. My interior guy wants to cover my beltline trim in leather.

warren57
02-10-2015, 07:49 AM
Got my window frames back from Al's. They look great.
shipping cost to them was just over $50. Cost was $650 inc. return shipping.
So I ended up at $700 with shipping both ways.
Have a tri5 friend in the KC area that found a shop in one of the southern states that had fair pricing. I didn't keep the info because shipping was further than Al's in Ft. Worth.
I'll get the info from him again and post it.

chevynut
02-10-2015, 10:41 AM
Warren, good to hear your window trim turned out so nice. I got estimates to do my interior trim from Ogden, and I think it's pretty outrageous at $115-125 a piece for show chrome. My trim is in excellent condition, it's just that the chrome looks 50 years old so it's a little dull. They really don't need to do much but strip the chrome and nickel, maybe plate some copper, polish, and re-plate. There are no pits at all in any of my trim. I'll probably just go with standard chrome for the interior stuff. I really can't see paying the extra when it's probably going to turn out the same anyhow.

These guys seem to want to charge you as if your bumpers and trim are all trashed, and I'm sure some are. I talked to Madmooks about doing my liftgate recently, and he told me that it's a flat rate regardless of condition. I know his plater probably does the best job in the country, and I plan to use him on this critical part, but it seems like I'm subsidizing the guys who send pitted liftgates that need a lot of filling, while mine is in great shape. Mine hasn't been outdoors since 1973.

I am waiting for one more quote on doing my bumpers, then I'll choose the plater. Madmook Mike had some amazing work done by his plater on a 5-piece bumper and he's getting me a quote to do my smoothies. A one-piece OEM bumper is usually cheaper to plate than a 3-piece, and it should certainly be less than a 5-piece. I just hope he doesn't start in with the "it's welded" BS. Then I have to factor in shipping costs both ways. :(

warren57
02-10-2015, 02:41 PM
Charging more because it's "modified" is BS. I guess they don't know what a perfectionist you are ��. I have seen your bumpers and they are perfect, needing no work. In fact, you likely have save them hours of buffing.
We can Thank the f'n EPA for this BS. They have driven everyone out of business in this country.
I know a couple guys with family ties in Mexico. I am going to see if they can hook us up with anyone that can do quality work at a non-EPA price.
We just need to get a line on an alternative to high cost shipping!

Also, check out www.knoxcustomchrome.com
My friend in Kansas tells me their pricing is similar to Al's and their work is good.

Warren, good to hear your window trim turned out so nice. I got estimates to do my interior trim from Ogden, and I think it's pretty outrageous at $115-125 a piece for show chrome. My trim is in excellent condition, it's just that the chrome looks 50 years old so it's a little dull. They really don't need to do much but strip the chrome and nickel, maybe plate some copper, polish, and re-plate. There are no pits at all in any of my trim. I'll probably just go with standard chrome for the interior stuff. I really can't see paying the extra when it's probably going to turn out the same anyhow.

These guys seem to want to charge you as if your bumpers and trim are all trashed, and I'm sure some are. I talked to Madmooks about doing my liftgate recently, and he told me that it's a flat rate regardless of condition. I know his plater probably does the best job in the country, and I plan to use him on this critical part, but it seems like I'm subsidizing the guys who send pitted liftgates that need a lot of filling, while mine is in great shape. Mine hasn't been outdoors since 1973.

I am waiting for one more quote on doing my bumpers, then I'll choose the plater. Madmook Mike had some amazing work done by his plater on a 5-piece bumper and he's getting me a quote to do my smoothies. A one-piece OEM bumper is usually cheaper to plate than a 3-piece, and it should certainly be less than a 5-piece. I just hope he doesn't start in with the "it's welded" BS. Then I have to factor in shipping costs both ways. :(

c57heaven
02-10-2015, 05:40 PM
might try http://www.customchromeplating.com/ Jon Wright. Not close to you. They do high end stuff. Their name is often found in high end builds in Street Rodder etc. Two grades of chroming. See the website if nothing else.

Rick_L
02-10-2015, 06:02 PM
Surprised that he hasn't posted here, but Madmooks posted on trifive.com that he's now offering chroming on non-Nomad-specific parts, like bumpers. No firm prices, but hinting at not being outrageous. Maybe he hasn't gotten any business from people mentioning this site.

But as you guys know, his Nomad specific stuff has a good rep.

chevynut
02-10-2015, 08:36 PM
Yeah Mike e-mailed me the pics of the bumper he had done by his plater, and the price was decent for a 5-piece bumper at $850. I was always told a one-piece bumper is cheaper than a 3-piece but I haven't received his estimate. He said the cores were nice. Here's a couple pics of that bumper....

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj280/56madmook/IMG_1618_zps4092b639.jpg

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj280/56madmook/IMG_1622_zps85eb1513.jpg

MadMooks
02-19-2015, 03:24 PM
sorry I overlooked this thread. chevynut and I spoke about a week ago about his bumper. our chrome is expensive, but there are no surprises. when you send it to me, basically you have you the comfort of knowing that i look over the piece well. if i don't think its good, i wont ship it out. im putting my name on this stuff and i want people to be happy.

the guy who received the 5 piece bumper was blown away by it. he said it was the best bumper hes ever done. ill be honest, when i saw the bumper i was like WOW. i had to grab my dad and show him. he was kind of scratching his head looking at his bumpers and wondering if he needs to have them done lol. its pretty nice stuff. are there flaws? sure, of course. there always is, especially with potmetal. im picky, but im also realistic. flawless doesn't exist in the world of classic cars.

a 56 nomad went for 250-275k on BJ last month. i think Rick was talking about it on the other forum. i saw this same ride at Sema back in 2010. we didn't do the liftgate chrome, and you wouldn't believe what it looked like. it had no business being on that car. done very poorly.

chevynut
09-28-2015, 11:59 AM
Well guys, I have to say that I'm done screwing around with Ogden Chrome. They're a joke and their "free shipping" really isn't.

As I previously posted on this thread I was considering using Ogden Chrome for my bumpers and perhaps other chrome parts. I had talked to them at Goodguys a couple of times in the past, and they quoted $475 for a one-piece 56 bumper. By earlier this year that had gone up to $575 which was still cheap imo. When I talked to the manager there he told me that was for street chrome, not "show chrome" and that show chrome was 25% higher making it $718 (including any straightening required). Supposedly they also ship both ways for "free"...at least that's what they advertise.

Anyhow, as I explained earlier in this thread I sent pics of my front bumper to Ogden and they said it would be $900-1500 for show chrome. I asked why it's any different than a 1-piece OEM bumper and they said it was "the welds" I made. It didn't matter that the welds were not pitted or anything, just that it was welded and he claimed they "always have to fix welds". It also didn't matter that my bumper didn't need any straightening whatsoever. I offered months ago to have them pick it up and look at it and give me a firm quote, but got tired of the manager's BS and gave up on them. He never would explain why my bumper would cost more than the OEM one.

So earlier in September I was at Goodguys Colorado and came across the Ogden booth again. I stopped and talked to a sales guy (Randy) and explained the past discussions I had with them, and how I didn't understand why my bumper was any different than an OEM 1-piece. I told him I had been talking to a hispanic guy at Ogden and didn't remember his name. He pointed at "Jose" behind the counter and I said I didn't think that was his name. So he asked if I had the bumper with me to look at and I said I didn't, but my place was on his way back to SLC. We agreed to talk the next day so he could see the bumper and I gave him my number. He said he could give me a firm quote but "Jose" would have to approve it.

I met Randy at I-25 just a couple miles from my house the next day (I had to call him). I took both bumpers for him to see and when he picked up the front bumper and looked at it he said "so you only welded on the backside?" noting my welded brackets. He said that was good because it wouldn't cause a problem. I said that it was a 3-piece bumper I'd welded together and he said "WOW!" and that he couldn't even tell it was welded. I said that's what I tried to tell the other guy before and thought it was a good sign, and expected the weld issue to be resolved. He said he wanted to take the bumper and would get back with me on a firm quote on it so I agreed. My wife was concerned about it because they didn't give me a claim ticket or anything...I said I wasn't too worried about that.

I looked up my past e-mails when I got home and realized the guy was Jose that I'd been dealing with. I figured that was okay since he would get to see the bumper first-hand and it might change his attitude about it.

At this point I was still expecting them to come back with something slightly higher than the $718 show chrome price for my bumper. Several days later, on 9/18 (while checking messages in NM), I got a text saying they were quoting $1100 for the bumper plus a 5% 'environmental fee". The $1100 was higher than the low end of the range of $900-1000 they quoted earlier even with welds this guy couldn't see. I figured if it was $718-$900 I'd go with it. But the $1100 just pissed me off, and it was obvious that Jose was continuing his silly games. I replied and again asked why it was so high, and why it was any different than the OEM bumper. No reply from Randy. So I told them to send it back and that it was obvious that Jose got involved and is still playing games with me. As of today, 10 days later, I still haven't seen it or any messages from them. I sent them a message this morning asking what their plan was for returning the bumper.

I also had asked Jose what they charged for interior trim. His quote was anywhere from $100-120 a piece which I felt was ridiculous. I was also told they don't do any volume pricing because it takes just as much time to do each piece whether it's one or 20. Huh? They obviously don't understand what "volume pricing" is.

As far as I'm concerned I'm done with these guys at Ogden Chrome. My bumpers are going to Madmooks. It's going to cost me to ship them both ways but the overall cost will be compararable to Ogden, and I'm confident in the quality Mike delivers. He's doing my liftgate now.

WagonCrazy
09-28-2015, 04:18 PM
He's doing my liftgate now.

If your liftgate turns out looking anything like my Madmoorks chromeplated liftgate looks, you're gonna be HHHHH AAAAA PPPP PPPP YYYYY. :)

I'll be interested in what Mike comes up with for cost on your bumpers. I have a one piece front and rear that need rechroming too...

chevynut
09-28-2015, 05:52 PM
Paul, call Ogden and ask them what they'll do your one-piece OEM bumpers for. They actually have them listed in a book that they look up, that's where I got the $475 the first time I asked a few years ago. Then let them pay to ship them and give you a firm quote. I wonder if they'll stick to their original quote. ;)

I heard back from Ogden today and Randy said it's $1100 instead of $718 because mine is "custom and takes more material and hand work". BS. I ground and blocked the crap out of my bumper several times and it's really straight and flat. I can perhaps see a little more blocking work with a welded bumper, but not much more than a repaired bent one. So a little more would make sense but not 53% more. Just playin' games, imo, and I don't trust them at this point.

The main issue with 1-piece bumpers is shipping them since they're so long. I'm not sure how I'm going to get mine to Mike.

Mike says my liftgate should be finished in a few weeks. :)

MP&C
09-28-2015, 08:03 PM
The price is $1100 because they have your bumper.. :p

WagonCrazy
09-29-2015, 07:48 AM
Get that bumper back from them ASAP.
The one piece is a bit long, but not so heavy that you couldn't box it up and ship it.
Shipping from CO to CA is probably $100 each way...

markm
09-29-2015, 08:55 AM
Ever since our local bumper shop closed, I have found bumper business people to be crooks.

chevynut
09-29-2015, 11:11 AM
Ogden told me the bumper's being shipped back to me today. Wish I had the guts to ask them to ship to Madmooks. LOL! :)

I told Randy I was pissed that he wasted my time after explaining the situation to him at Goodguys. He could have just told me that what Jose said before was likely to stand. Then I would have told them to forget it.

chevynut
09-30-2015, 06:29 PM
I was working in the shop today and noticed something leaning up against my cabinet by the door. Come to find out my bumper is back and the delivery guy put it in the shop while I wasn't looking, I guess. I may have been in the house at the time.

Anyhow it's back...it's all wrapped up with some sort of special paper and bubble pack. I don't think I'm even going to unpack it, just ship to Madmooks. My liftgate is DONE!! :)

chevynut
10-05-2015, 08:31 PM
Here's a few pics of my liftgate after rechroming by Madmooks. Looks pretty good to me!!! Can't wait to see it in person. As soon as it's back here I'm sending my front bumper to have it chromed, and maybe some of my interior trim.

http://www.trifivechevys.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5055&stc=1

http://www.trifivechevys.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5056&stc=1

http://www.trifivechevys.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5057&stc=1

http://www.trifivechevys.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5058&stc=1

http://www.trifivechevys.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5059&stc=1

WagonCrazy
10-09-2015, 06:58 AM
Nothing excites like the eye candy of a superior chroming job!

Madspeed
08-21-2020, 09:36 PM
I called Ogden Chrome and its even higher now. 1800 for street. Holly crap. I was expecting lie 500. and thinking that was nuts. Im not building a show car just a clean stupid fast daily. Should I just buy real deal bobs or? Who chromes that isnt taking vacations from every part they do? I get it, Why do ork for the lil guy when you got tv show money thats endless. lol I dont want to deplete my IRA to get my chrome work done. suggestions?
Thanks

BamaNomad
08-22-2020, 04:23 AM
Madspeed: What are you needing to chrome? bumpers should be easier than potmetal, and easier to find a decent shop for chroming bumpers...
and WHERE are you located? I can recommend a good shop in west-central Tennessee... It's much better to find one close enough to deliver/pick up the parts... and get to talk to the owner/operator of the shop...

LEE T
08-22-2020, 02:02 PM
Here's a few pics of my liftgate after rechroming by Madmooks. Looks pretty good to me!!! Can't wait to see it in person. As soon as it's back here I'm sending my front bumper to have it chromed, and maybe some of my interior trim.

http://www.trifivechevys.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5055&stc=1

http://www.trifivechevys.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5056&stc=1

http://www.trifivechevys.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5057&stc=1

http://www.trifivechevys.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5058&stc=1

http://www.trifivechevys.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5059&stc=1
Look Ma, no waves. Looks outstanding! I know that was posted years ago, but it just didn't get much love.