PDA

View Full Version : Hot Rolled or Cold Rolled

NickP
01-28-2015, 09:46 AM
Having a senior moment. Which, relative to bar stock, i.e. 1/4x6 flat bar has sharp edges, hot or cold rolled. I know there is a marked price difference so I'm guessing cold rolled has the more defined edges due to process and price along with no scale.

MP&C
01-28-2015, 10:06 AM
I believe you are correct in that the cold rolled will be a more precise extrusion, and no scale. Rick should get us both straight, this is up his alley....

Rick_L
01-28-2015, 01:15 PM
Robert nailed it.

I-beam, channel, and angle are typically hot rolled. They have a rough surface, scale, and rounded edges.

Sheet metal, bar, and plate are available both ways, as is tubing. Cold rolled is more expensive, but it also looks nicer and is more consistent in appearance.

chevynut
01-28-2015, 06:17 PM
The problem I've found is finding cold-rolled in anything thicker than about 11 gauge. Thicker than that you usually have to go to P&O steel. In fact, I can't get cold-rolled 16 gauge or 11 gauge locally unless I special order it. Dealing with the scale is a PITA. I etched my 16 gauge firewall with muriatic acid and the fumes made a mess in my shop. I order all my frame parts in P&O steel so I don't have to blast the scale off.