PDA

View Full Version : Mounting a double DIN stereo

chevynut
03-05-2015, 01:39 PM
I just opened up my Kenwood stereo receiver and looked at what is included to try to figure out a mounting scheme. All that's included is a trim ring and a "cage" that looks like this:

http://www.soundmasterscotland.com/storemill/secure/artwork/product/9_9_b08d1e16-6f57-4abd-9ad9-b15afc4598c4.jpghttp://images.sonicelectronix.com/images/1990438/main/ddx471hd.jpg

I'm at a loss as to how you're supposed to mount this. There are no mounting brackets or anything else except some sort of "release" key that looks like this:

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTMwM1gxNjAw/$%28KGrHqV,%21hsE8UoO17jIBPgLJSByFw%7E%7E60_12.JPG

I slid the receiver into the cage and I don't see it locking anywhere so I'm not sure what the keys are for. I assume they release the tabs on the side of the cage somehow, but they don't snap into anything.

I watched a Youtube video where they attached brackets to the side of the receiver, and didn't use a cage at all. There are threaded screw holes on the side of the case. But if you attach a bracket to the case, you can't use the "cage".

Anyone have any experience installing one of these things? Looks like I have to build something from scratch to make it work but I don't know where to start. There are no installation instructions in the box or on the web that I can find.

Troy
03-05-2015, 02:29 PM
You just push it in to your cutout until the little flange sits on the face of you panel. Then you bend over some of those little triangulated tabs to lock it into hole. Kind of cheesy but works. I have seen some of the DIN mounts that have bolt holes to use. The keys just slide down each side of the unit(there's usually a slot on each side) to push the detents out.

chevynut
03-05-2015, 02:36 PM
Well I don't have a "cutout", that's what I'm trying to figure out ;). It looks to me like I'm going to have to make some brackets that screw onto the "cage", then screw that assembly into my console when I build that structure. That's the part I'm trying to figure out right now. Looks like I need to do some more design work on my console where it meets the dash, to figure out exactly where the stereo will need to sit.

Troy
03-05-2015, 02:39 PM
Fortunately these are a standard (DIN) mount and you can probably find one on the market that already has some sort of mounting holes already built in. Check in with a quality stereo shop and they can probably come up with something. Good Luck!

Custer55
03-05-2015, 08:07 PM
You need to have a dash or console hole that the bracket just fits into. I needs to be pretty accurate because there is not much of flange on the bracket. As posted above you just fold over the little triangle tabs in the bracket to hold it in place. It doesn't seem like enough to hold it in place but I have had one in my car for 2 or 3 years with out a problem. I put about 1,000 to 1,500 miles a year on mine.
Brian

NickP
03-05-2015, 08:56 PM
I just opened up my Kenwood stereo receiver and looked at what is included to try to figure out a mounting scheme. All that's included is a trim ring and a "cage" that looks like this:

http://www.soundmasterscotland.com/storemill/secure/artwork/product/9_9_b08d1e16-6f57-4abd-9ad9-b15afc4598c4.jpghttp://images.sonicelectronix.com/images/1990438/main/ddx471hd.jpg

I'm at a loss as to how you're supposed to mount this. There are no mounting brackets or anything else except some sort of "release" key that looks like this:

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTMwM1gxNjAw/$%28KGrHqV,%21hsE8UoO17jIBPgLJSByFw%7E%7E60_12.JPG

I slid the receiver into the cage and I don't see it locking anywhere so I'm not sure what the keys are for. I assume they release the tabs on the side of the cage somehow, but they don't snap into anything.

I watched a Youtube video where they attached brackets to the side of the receiver, and didn't use a cage at all. There are threaded screw holes on the side of the case. But if you attach a bracket to the case, you can't use the "cage".

Anyone have any experience installing one of these things? Looks like I have to build something from scratch to make it work but I don't know where to start. There are no installation instructions in the box or on the web that I can find.

Laszlo that looks just like the unit I have for the Bronco. I had the dash laser cut for the close fit and as mentioned, the triangular tabs fold up to lock the DD in place. When I slide my deck into the provided mount, it locks in place on both sides, then the perimeter cover snaps in. I can look closer tomorrow if need be.

chevynut
03-06-2015, 07:46 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I found out that the side tabs that lock the receiver in place in the cage were bent outward slightly, so all I had to do is bend them in a little to make them lock. I know this can be installed without the cage using some vehicle-specific brackets but I kinda like the idea of using the cage because you can take the unit out without complete dash disassembly using the keys.

I've been looking at it and thinking about it, and I can see two ways to do this using the cage. The first way is like you guys suggested just cutting the dash (console in my case) just big enough for the cage to slide in, then bending over the tabs as suggested. That is pretty simple but it just doesn't seem very secure to me, and as far as I can tell the console face panel would have to be the exact right thickness, whatever that is, or it could be sloppy. The advantage to doing it this way is that it always fits flush with the face of the console.

Another way would be to attach some custom brackets to the cage and mount the cage to permanent brackets in the console. I could make slots in the mounting holes in the brackets to adjust the unit flush with the console face then lock the brackets in place with screws. That way the cage is securely attached to the dash/console, and the receiver could be removed from the front without disassembly of the dash. Kenwood provides a nice trim ring that goes around the face of the receiver to cover up the gap.

I'm not sure how I'm going to do it yet, as I still only have the bottom and sides of the console fabbed and haven't yet decided on the final shape. I need to design and build some more structure where the console attaches to the dash in front. The receiver will sit about 3/4"-1" below the glove box opening and there may be some switches and 12V accessory plug below that. Below that area, I need some sort of removable panel to access my electronics/fuse block/relays, etc. that will all be housed in the console. It's going to be busy in there. :)

The other issue is that the Vintage Air under-dash outlet is right behind the receiver, and is only about 5" from the front of the console. The receiver is 6 1/4" long so I'll have to build some sort of ducting into the console to deflect the air back away from the receiver, and out the sides of the console.

Custer55
03-07-2015, 07:38 AM
The bracket for the stereo has the triangle tabs at different locations to account for your dash thickness. Using custom brackets to secure it in place would for sure make it better though. It is nice to be able to just use the keys to pull the unit out!! Sounds like you have a good plan.
Brian

chevynut
03-11-2015, 02:48 PM
Well I got it figured out a few days ago. I just pop-riveted a plate the width of my console to the bottom of the cage. Then I put some aluminum angles in my console for it to sit on. I will screw it down once I figure out the exact fore-aft location it needs to sit at.

4190 4191 4192