PDA

View Full Version : front coil over shocks

tyafrya
03-05-2015, 06:50 PM
Has anyone installed coil overs on cpp tubular control arms? The lower arm dos'ant seem to have enough meat where the shock mounts. I feel I should add a stiffener plate. I guess they were designed to use with stock springs. Anyone have any thoughts ?

NickP
03-05-2015, 08:51 PM
What does CPP say? The picture of them looks as though they are much the same (key word, looks) as say a williams but then theirs are Stainless - discounting that, were you to fabricate a mount such as theirs that bolts in the pocket, this should give you more surface area.

CPP Below

http://htsmall.classicchevy.com/assets/cci/images/size/600x/sku/21-187.jpg
Williams Lower with adaptor.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1600/2283636/20292324/410929352.jpg

tyafrya
03-06-2015, 08:05 PM
Thanks For your reply NCW, I have contacted CPP, no reply as of yet. I thought they might have a kit for this application. If not i'll make my own. Just Fishing for information and the voice of experience. thanks again.

tyafrya
03-15-2015, 06:47 AM
Finally found CPP's tech. page and their forum says inlarge holes to 3/8" and bolt them in. QA1 and CPP are a joint effort on this applaction.

chevynut
03-15-2015, 10:54 AM
You said you were nervous about the strength of the spring pocket when using the coilover t-bar. How thick is it? Keep in mind that it has to hold up the weight of the entire front end of the car, at least 900 pounds per side. And it has to take some cyclic loading.

If you're nervous about it, I think Earle's bracket solution that NCW posted is a lot stronger. On the other hand, if CPP has a lot of customers using it with no problems, it should work fine. Sometimes I wonder about the "engineering" expertise in some of these companies, though.

tyafrya
03-16-2015, 05:23 PM
Thank you for your reply chevynut, The thickness of the spring pocket is .114 thousands. That's about half what I think it should be. Don't know how many others are using this system or the success rate. (In the trifive .com forum that Williams arm failed after a few thousand miles.) Heck I live in Maine and the roads can be crummy at times.

tyafrya
03-17-2015, 02:45 PM
Thanks everyone for replying to my questions. I now will fab and weld plates to my lower control arms. I paid a lot of money for these arms I just wish they were engineered better. Lesson learned..... they are now on my vendor #$@* list. tyafrya