PDA

View Full Version : CPP install questions

reborn55
03-12-2015, 01:14 PM
In the process of installing CPP 500 power steering gear and pump/pull. Some questions/statements---I have very little clearance between fan and the lower pulley needed for the p/s pump---had to remove chrome crank timing cover to get fan to clear. installing the pump--I found that the fan hits the pump pulley unless it is almost all the way out to the end of the adjustment--is this normal. the pulleys seem to line up---the p/s pump bracket that replaced the front motor mount had to be modified a little in order to fit properly. I know I will have to cut the fan shroud--will probably make it a half fit. Don't really feel like moving the fan any closer to the radiator or feel that I should have to. Is this
normal? I haven't tackled the steering gear and column yet and in reality could take all off and try to sell it if more problems are on the horizon----Does anyone have the NAPA or Gates part number for the p/s belt needed...THANKS

markm
03-13-2015, 07:52 AM
They make a an offset PS pump pulley that allows you to run on the middle groove of the SWP crankshaft pulley or better yet a 2 groove pulley. This aluminum pulley is about $90, I know because I ended up with two of them. The dia of crank pulley will dictate belt lenth also, I always take a long belt and run it around pulleys and cut to fit, then take that to parts store to match up.. If going to Slow'Reillys I am make sure to cut the part of belt with numbers on off and leave it at home.

reborn55
03-13-2015, 08:37 AM
I am running the 3 groove set up as I have A/C and alternator--so the only place I can run the A/c in on the 2nd groove and the p/s on the outside groove. as you can see from picture there is very little room. have ordered spacer set. 4198

markm
03-13-2015, 08:59 AM
AC, then never mind what I worked out will not work for you.

Rods56
12-09-2015, 08:24 AM
Can you eliminate the fan on the water-pump and go with an electric fan on the front of the radiator? My radiator is in the 6 cyl position and my fan is tucked in the radiator support brace with lots of room to spare. I have installed my flex fan also...and still have room(not in this photo).

http://www.trifivechevys.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5323&stc=1

markm
12-09-2015, 09:27 AM
I find unless its a very expensive electric setup it does not cool as well as stock type engine driven with shroud.

Custer55
12-09-2015, 10:21 AM
I have an old 305 that has the alternator on the outer (3rd crank pulley, alternator is on the left side of the engine looking from the front of the car) so the power steering and AC run off the 2 inner pulleys. I don't know if that would help or not.
Brian

reborn55
12-09-2015, 02:12 PM
Really don't want an electric fan in front of condenser---Am going to tackle it again as soon as I finish wife's streetrod---had a leakage and other problems with other unit--sent it back for a whole new setup---been sitting in box since then---Might not even use yet.