PDA

View Full Version : electronic points stock distributor

bobbybelair
09-13-2015, 01:12 PM
I have a 283 stock points distributor, stock type coil which measure 1.6 ohms resistance, and a ballast resistor.

If I was to put electronic points like an Ignitor in, do I connect the red Ignitor wire to the 12 volt side of the ballast resistor? Instructions say ignition side which I believe is the same thing. 9 volt side of the ballast resistor goes to + side of coil on mine. And is a stock coil ok?

chevynut
09-13-2015, 01:29 PM
I's my understanding that you bypass the ballast resistor when you install an electronic ignition. It's not needed.

Custer55
09-13-2015, 06:34 PM
Not sure about a stock coil. I added a Accel coil made for the Accel electronic distributor when I upgraded mine. You should bypass the ballast resistor as Chevy Nut stated. You need 12 volts to the coil/distributor.
Brian

Rick_L
09-13-2015, 06:45 PM
You need to follow the instructions for the parts you use. Particularly whether you bypass the ballast resistor or have to use a specific coil.

If the instructions are not clear, don't use that stuff. Get something that has clear requirements.

From what I read, Pertronix has varied over the years on this subject. Hopefully they have cleared this up.

markm
09-14-2015, 06:08 AM
A Mallory Unilite will smoke a module quick on 12V. Best to follow whoevers instructions.

chevynut
09-14-2015, 06:29 AM
A Mallory Unilite will smoke a module quick on 12V.

A distributor made for 12V operation will smoke on 12V????? How is that?

markm
09-14-2015, 07:27 AM
From Mallory's site. Believe it or not Cnut I jumped on the HEI / Electronic Ign, band wagon in the mid 70s.

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

FORM 1214M (REV. K) 05/13

UNILITE® DISTRIBUTOR
This product is applicable to pre-1966 California and pre-1968 federally certified passenger cars.
It is also applicable to non-emission controlled trucks and similar vehicles. It is not applicable
or intended for use on any emission controlled vehicles operated on highways or roads, unless
otherwise noted.

IMPORTANT
Before installing the UNILITE® Distributor, make sure that your vehicle is equipped with an
ignition ballast resistor (or loom resistance wire) in the wire between the ignition switch and the
coil (+) terminal. Check a service manual for your vehicle to locate the ignition ballast resistor
(or loom resistance wire). If your vehicle is not equipped with an ignition ballast resistor,
install a Mallory Ignition Ballast Resistor Part No. 700 in the wire between the ignition switch
and the coil (+) terminal. Failure to use an ignition ballast resistor will eventually destroy the
UNILITE ® Ignition Module.

bobbybelair
09-14-2015, 11:16 AM
Interesting stuff. Makes me want to just get a new set of points and a condensor!

markm
09-14-2015, 01:00 PM
I am told by those who still run points it is all but impossible to find good ones. The ones made in China leave a lot to be desired.

bobbybelair
09-14-2015, 01:20 PM
Yeah, I'm going to look around and see what is out there but it may be futile.

Rick_L
09-14-2015, 05:40 PM
You have another choice.

Get an MSD-6 or similar ignition box and keep the points. With this setup, the points have a tiny current load and should last virtually forever.

I did this on the 350 in my Nova and it's done well. I had a Pertronix I setup and thought it was trash, so I went back to points. On the other hand I think Pertronix has advanced some over the years - I don't see as many complaints as I once did. But I don't try to keep up with their stuff either.

However the MSD box is far more expensive than the Pertronix conversion.

The other half of my Pertronix complaint may have been a bad carb I was trying to work through at the time. The engine wouldn't idle right. The Pertronix I was still a POS even if it worked.

bobbybelair
09-14-2015, 07:34 PM
Interesting, I'll check that out too.